Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?

Previous  123 ... 121314  Next
Author iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 17:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This seems a VERY strange business model for a UK operator to adopt, as it is COMPLETELY different to ANY other model that has been in place before.

If correct, then you would have purchased an Iphone for £269, and could within your given statutory rights, cancel any contract with O2 within 14 days.

O2 are banking on people not cancelling, as the registration is part of the activation process.

I would say that this is a MASSIVELY stupid thing for O2 to do, if this is indeed the business model they have adopted, as they have paid apple a stupid amount of money to be the single carrier.

Seems stupid for them to adopt this philosophy, especially when if this is indeed the case, by law you are able to legally unlock the handset no prob whatsoever, permanently.

[ This Message was edited by: seunlock-uk on 2007-09-20 17:22 ]
SCORPIONKING1982
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 19:17
just a little note that noone seems to have mentioned, when you cancel your contract early dont you have to pay the remaining line rental? So even if they do unlock it (which it seems they may have to) your still gunna have to pay at least £600. seems stupid to cancel it if thats the case.
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 19:20
Not if you cancel within 14 days!
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 19:27
As Nanu says, in the EU (and everywhere else I think) Consumers have Statutory Rights, which include a right to a 14 day cancellation period (money back guarantee).

This truly is a unique position if true, as never before has a carrier sold an unsubsidised handset.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
SCORPIONKING1982
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 19:50

On 2007-09-20 19:20:25, Nanu wrote:
Not if you cancel within 14 days!

yes true but as its states on O2's website you have to return the handset if you do that

"Cancel/return my order

If you are unhappy with your purchase you can return it within 14 days. However, we are unable to accept any return or request for a replacement after 14 days from your date of purchase should you be unhappy with your choice of purchase.

Please read the information below and follow the instructions depending on where you purchased your mobile from.

Purchased from a store...

You should return your mobile to your point of sale with your proof of purchase.

Purchased via telesales or online...

Please ring our returns team and they shall advise you on what to do next on 0870 225 0208. Please have the following information ready when you call "

Also taken from O2's site is this

"Once you've got your iPhone, the next thing to do is activate it. This couldn't be simpler. All you have to do is enter into an 18 month Pay Monthly contract with O2 on one of our exclusive iPhone tariffs. These start at just £35 a month.

You need to be over 18, pass a credit check and have a bank account for the monthly direct debits. If you already have an iTunes account, perfect. If you have to create one, you'll need a debit or credit card. And an email address you access regularly because billing is online only.

You sign up for your Pay Monthly tariff and contract as part of the activation process so just make sure that you have this information to hand when you are ready to activate your iPhone."

hence you HAVE to sign up to an O2 contract to activate the iphone. Once you do that your stuck to the usual terms and conditions that apply to mobile contracts so your options are this 1. Cancel within 14 days and you have to return the phone. 2. Buyout the contract, pay the (roughly) £600 and then do what you will with the phone. 3. Dont bother cus the iphone's a bit pants.
myspace.com/scorpionking1982
liverman666
R520
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 19:52
Another angle to this that has been bugging me.......

I buy the iphone for 269 from CPW/O2 shop/Apple store, get it home, log in to itunes to activate it and.........I fail the credit check!!!
What happens then?
Seems a rather stupid and "american" way of doing things if you ask me...
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 19:58
Those are the general terms to which I referred earlier, with a full return being required, and an RA number being obtained by the shop.

However, it has been suggested that the business model that is in place for the iphone, means that this set of terms do not apply.

Say for instance you buy the phone at Apple on Regent St. What is stopping you taking the phone home, activating it via Itunes with a £35/month contract and within 14 days cancelling it. you would not be under any obligation to return the phone to Apple, as the contract has nothing to do with them.

This is what I think Doggman was alluding too, and hopefully it has been cleared up.

There is, if this is correct, that Apple etc. sell the phone unsubsidised, and you merely have to sign up online, people could exploit this to get a cheap Iphone, as it would be activated when yo plug it into Itunes, but after cancellation would still be activated. You would merely need to unlock it to use it with any network, or pop any other O2 sim in it to take advantage of the phone.

What remains to be seen is whether O2 will issue unlock codes to non contract customers, or contract customers within the first 14 days. They could, most likely, refuse an unlock code to anyone who does not have a current contract running along side the Iphone, as it is not available on PAYG, maybe lol.

The unlocking is the sticky wicket on this one, but with free unlock solutions it's not that big of a deal, although IMEI unlocking would be good as it would be a PERMANENT solution.

On 2007-09-20 19:52:31, liverman666 wrote:
Another angle to this that has been bugging me.......

I buy the iphone for 269 from CPW/O2 shop/Apple store, get it home, log in to itunes to activate it and.........I fail the credit check!!!
What happens then?
Seems a rather stupid and "american" way of doing things if you ask me...

That is another way round it, people have been purposefully failing the AT+T credit check, and merely getting a PAYG sim to use in it.

BUT what most people don't want to do is give their credit card details to AT+T (NSA), as a credit card is required to sign up for the PayG service.

[ This Message was edited by: seunlock-uk on 2007-09-20 19:01 ]
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 20:04
Contract defaulters can and do get their devices barred, IMO anyone who thinks they can scam an iphone on the cheap is in for a big shock so don't say you were'nt warned!!
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 20:13
This model would leave this open, it would not be defaulting on a contract, that would imply non payment, in this case due to buying the phone up front, you are well within your rights to 14 day the contract and keep the phone.

However O2 are banking on people not doing that, and also if they do, not unlocking the handset and using it on another network.

They cannot IMEI bar a handset which you have purchased outright. IMEI barring is put in place ONLY for handset which have been reported lost or stolen, and in extreme cases when someone has fraudulently obtained the handset and not paid the bill (fraud/Theft).

If it is indeed true that the handset is not "subsidised" and you do buy it "outright" at the store, then they can't touch it.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
SCORPIONKING1982
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 20:26
I see what you mean seunlock-uk.

Question is, if u have to sign up to O2 via itunes to activate the phone, then cancel the contract, what happens when u next hook your iphone to itunes? Will it be deactivated?

I guess we'll see what happens when the full T's and C's come out.
myspace.com/scorpionking1982
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 20:39
@mweb6161

I am not suggesting any one defrauds any one with this that is not my intention at all. I am only speculating and pointing out that i think 02 have copied the US model with out fully thinking it through and it's possible consequences. I also doubt i am the first or only person to have realised this either. Unlike you i don't think it is users that are in for a big shock as 02 have no legal right to bar your property personally i think it is 02 that are in for a big shock as they really don't seem to of thought this one through properly IMO.

@all

There are currently three options go to an Apple store and BUY your iPhone for £269.99 this is then your iPhone and is legally owned by you and no one else as you have paid full retail price for it. At this point in time it has limited functionality but is your property and no one else's.

You can do things the right way and activate it via iTunes and sign up for a minimum cost £35pm contract for 18 months and use it as intended.

Or you cancel your contract within 14 days and just never allow iTunes to update it and only use a 02 PAYG Sim and it will remain fully working and i can see no way it can be deactivated.

Option 3 is you buy it and then just use the available software to both activate it and make it far more functional as far as i am concerned none of this is committing a crime or defrauding anyone.

From reading a lot of the Forums there are a high proportion of iPhones sold that are not being used on the AT&T network. Using the various methods available. But as i have pointed out there is one major difference here in the UK being as you have paid for your iPhone and it is locked this is not legal if you request an unlock code 02 have no right to refuse to sell it to you plain and simple.

I have not even decided if i will even buy an iPhone or not but i definitely wouldn't buy one on a 18month £35pm contract that's for sure.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-20 19:51 ]
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 20:51
I have a lot less confidence in the theory that O2 are either dumb enough or generous enough not to have thought about the scenarios refered to above, let's see how the actual retail sales pan out BEFORE anyone on here gets their fingers burnt.
@ Marc, i know you are only theorising and testing the water, i would never imply or portray any aspects as being underhand
exilis
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-20 21:19
From my past experience of this (annoyingly o2 are the only network i've yet to try this on) UK networks would only unlock my handset once the initial contract term was up/paid upfront.

I would also be extremely surprised to see the iphone contract NOT having a clause stating that on cancellation of the contract the handset must be returned.

It's been a few years since I was in retail, and this being the 1st unsubsidised handset it's never come up before, but do the networks maybe retain ownership of the handset until after the 14 days?

Oh and networks can and do withdraw the right to a 14day return on occasion, it has to be printed in huge letters on the contract etc etc but it happens now and again. I'm sure O2/Apple/CPW will have this one covered.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 21:34
@exilis

I have unlocked a couple of phones from T-Mobile and was sold the unlock codes both times within days of having the phone without any problems. I have also unlocked a N73 on VodaFone again no where near the end of the contract and not even the phone i originally got from VodaFone either. The law on unlocking has changed radically in the UK.

As far as 02 making you return your iPhone they have zero right or chance of it happening as you have bought and paid for it unsubsidized so is your property straight away not theirs if you decide to activate it or not is your choice to make they can't force you to.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-20 20:37 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 21:44

On 2007-09-20 20:39:21, Dogmann wrote:

Or you cancel your contract within 14 days and just never allow iTunes to update it and only use a 02 PAYG Sim and it will remain fully working and i can see no way it can be deactivated.

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-20 19:51 ]

the other 2 i agree with ... this one i'm not sure..

but look here..

http://alexking.org/blog/2007/07/02/iphone-without-service

from what i remember upon activation itunes ties the imei to the sim card that you activate with.. if you do it the "legit" way and swap the prepaid sim it doesn't work cause it won't register.. only after you do a "factory" activation through modding do other sims of the same carrier work... this is the same reason youtube won't work for most people until they mod the activation keys..

here is something i just found...
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1244050

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-09-20 20:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-09-20 20:51 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 121314  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic