Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > ''M600 updates are in the pipeline" - statement of SE

Author ''M600 updates are in the pipeline" - statement of SE
anjexe
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-27 01:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
so u say that it is beeter to update and not afraid of
haris_el
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-29 21:25
Received an answer from SE , after i complaint with examples about the phones latest firmware:

Dear Mr or Ms XXXX

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, we are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulties with your Sony Ericsson M600i, we would suggest contacting your local Sony Ericsson Support Centre for details regarding where to send your handset to be repaired.

Internal testing shows that the firmware issues detected on the P990 and W950 are not present on the last M600 firmware release. A firmware update for the M600 is not considered necessary.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again for further help and support.

For more information on our products and services, please feel free to visit our website at www.sonyericsson.com

www.sonyericsson.com/fun
Register now for great content and fantastic Web and WAP Services.

Kind Regards,
Sam Hogarth

Sony Ericsson Call Centre
mailto:questions.gb@support.sonyericsson.com
http://www.sonyericsson.com

Startac->ProMax->Nokia 6210->t68->P900->K750->M600>E71
anjexe
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-31 01:58
so u mean thst they may release new firme ware for m600
or
if i update and have problem go to service center?
but i am in iran i pay about 100$(ibought my M600 about400$ 3 mounths ago) for garanti and only they update for me and tell me if now u dont have problem dont update

granti is citadel
haris_el
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-07 13:07
After sending 6 different emails from 6 different email addresses to SE, i got finally an answer i smiled to. Possibly there will be an update for m600? We shall wait and see...

Dear Haris,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, we apologise for the problems you are having with your handset, there are updates for the M600i in the pipeline in the near future. All we can suggest at this present moment is keep checking the sonyericsson.com/supprt page for the updates.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again for further help and support.

For more information on our products and services, please feel free to visit our website at www.sonyericsson.com

www.sonyericsson.com/fun
Register now for great content and fantastic Web and WAP Services.

Kind Regards,
Paul Conlan

Sony Ericsson Call Centre
mailto:questions.gb@support.sonyericsson.com
http://www.sonyericsson.com

ZawngEK
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-07 21:37
@haris_el
Amazing! a new firmware for the M600? eh? hope it's true.

and for those who think there's not enough bug to summon a new firmware: why do you think you have to call up the task manager and kill (end-task) every time you wanted to close an application? why is there no simple exit option to click when you want close an open application?

i think this is one big bug that needs to be fix. or rather it's a flaw in the uiq implementation of the symbian os. i believe the flaw is not on the symbian os itself because nokia phones that uses the same version of this os does not have this problem. you just click 'exit' and the program closes, releasing chunks of memory it utilises. no (or minimal) memory leaks.

yes, memory leaks are the biggest bug/flaw in uiq phones. it's like the 'three-finger-salute' (ctrl-alt-del) on windows 95/98 era. you are supposed to use this function only as a last resort to kill an app when you can't normally close the app. closing apps this way have unpredictable results because parts of memory used by the killed app does't get released. use it too often, and your computer will become slower and slower till it crash, requiring a reboot.

now why do se thinks it's normal to kill a normally working app and cause memory leaks? kill, kill, kill and you just run out of precious memory.

don't we require a new firmware even only for this?

[ This Message was edited by: ZawngEK on 2007-08-07 21:47 ]
anjexe
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-08 05:42
yes i agree whit u if it is true i will updatemy phone and if have poblem wait for new frime ware if e-mail are use fule tell us whgat should we say andtheir e-mail addres
tanx
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-08-08 11:03
@ ZawngEK - you're talking about a UI design decision first made in the UIQ2 on the P800 five years ago - SE have never included an "exit" in their inbuilt UIQ apps, it's been a conscious decision on their part. You may not like it, but it is in no way a "bug" - the phone is behaving exactly as designed.

The idea that they're going to "fix" this now, at the end of the product cycle, when the P990, W950, P1, and W960 all sport the very same "bug" is more than a bit silly.

I still say anyone demanding fixes for the M600i either has a faulty phone in the first place, or ridiculously high expectations. There's really very little wrong with it, and it's never been anything like as bad as the other phones in the series.
haris_el
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-08 13:26

On 2007-08-08 11:03:31, Boinng wrote:

I still say anyone demanding fixes for the M600i either has a faulty phone in the first place, or ridiculously high expectations. There's really very little wrong with it, and it's never been anything like as bad as the other phones in the series.

Well mate, if i have to restart the phone every here and then , to receive sms, i dont think i have high expectations....

And i dont think that i expected when i bought the phone to continuously hear a cracking sound coming out "Click, click, click..." which drains the battery much faster....

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-08-08 13:32
Haris-el - my phone doesn't do either of those things, despite being on (I'm sure) the same current firmware - therefore it's not a firmware issue. You have a faulty phone, and no amount of updates is going to fix it.

If I were you I'd try formatting it, reflashing, formatting again, and then see how it goes... also, you might try checking/replacing your SIM, or talking to your network. If it's definitely the phone itself which is misbehaving regularly then there's something wrong with it, because that behaviour is not normal for the M600i, and I'm not sure it's ever been.

I can't stress how reliable my phone is now - it's rock solid, absolutely perfect. Yes there are minor quibbles with things like the alarm volume using MP3 (just use the beep-beep instead), but I trust it 100% as a phone and message device.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-08-08 12:37 ]
haris_el
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-08 13:35
read point 9 and 6, from the link below

http://uiq3.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Phones/M600i

some have them and some not...

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-08-08 13:48
9 sounds like a hardware fault to me - since it only affects certain phones released in a certain market, it's probably a manufacturing problem on certain batches.

6 - why should that affect only certain people? How often does it happen to you, how often do you restart? If this is a software bug, why hasn't it affected me in the 16 days my phone has currently been running, or the very many before that? I just don't buy it. It sounds like exactly the sort of generic network/SIM problem that affects EVERY make and model of phone from time to time, the only difference here is that there's a wiki on it, and an assumption that it's an SE fault. Sorry, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
antichrist
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-08 13:57

On 2007-08-07 21:37:03, ZawngEK wrote:
why do you think you have to call up the task manager and kill (end-task) every time you wanted to close an application? why is there no simple exit option to click when you want close an open application?

this is not a bug. a normal phone exits automatically from a program because it doesn't have enough ram and that ram is required to run another application.m600 has 64 mb of ram and therefore it can open multiple applications for example 10 programs opened in the same time. this speeds up the usage of the phone.imagine waiting to open a program every time you want to use it. and keeping 5 programs open does not consume more power, well it does,but insignificant.
if you want a phone that exits every time you click back then buy a nonsymbian phone
DAN55
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-08-08 14:45
hi,
i have to add that on the current f/w my 600 is pretty good - havent as yet had one auto restart due to memory - did have a few before hand

i use swiss man freeware to kill off my unused apps - seems to do a good job

ta
haris_el
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-08 17:32

On 2007-08-08 13:48:18, Boinng wrote:

6 - why should that affect only certain people? How often does it happen to you, how often do you restart? If this is a software bug, why hasn't it affected me in the 16 days my phone has currently been running, or the very many before that? I just don't buy it. It sounds like exactly the sort of generic network/SIM problem that affects EVERY make and model of phone from time to time, the only difference here is that there's a wiki on it, and an assumption that it's an SE fault. Sorry, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

There is a whole topic regarding people having this problem of not receiving sms...

You are the first person that i heard saying that is not SE fault for the errors on the phones. Who is the fault then? The users?
Only with the m600 users i hear that they have problems in receiving sms, and i dont think that is just a coincidence that only we; the m600 users have this problem.

I dont have any problems with the phone in general, i had just 2 restarts since i bought it , however these 2 problems are very annoying and make the phone extremely unreliable...

KingBooker5
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-08 17:46
If there is a topic brought up the most on the forum, it will be the re-acuring m600 update controversy.

However, my fellow bubble. Your 100% right. SE really have to do somthing about the M600.

Infact I think SE smartphones are just a joke. It angers be, when ever a new smartphone is released, angry customours demand new firmware. And even that one is faulty. SE have to shape up in the smart phone departement.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic