Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE has removed the dedicated BACK button!

Author SE has removed the dedicated BACK button!
MoeOz
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-04-08 18:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i guess the C button will act as the BACk one and the new RED call ended one will act as da old C one ..
MoeOz
Seanyb2
W995 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-04-08 20:30
God its not that bad. I am so used to latest Nokia UI i cant deal with the SE one its alien to me even though i have had loads of them in the past. Whats wrong with the Nokia softkeys where it clearly says underneath them on screen CLEAR OK AND OPTIONS. So easy. And underneath them is the call and hang up keys. Why people find these hard is beyond me. And calling them GAY keys i mean come on for gods sake. WHAT? I can text at lightning speed on my Nokia but on a SE its so slow it drives me insane and when you text on a SE i was forever pressing the wrong key. Rubbish.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-08 21:00
finally some sanity

what alot of hysteria over a button!... as mentioned before, earlier phones were just as usable without the *specific* back button but no one here has used the z750 from what I have read and I'm not sure we have seen all sides in detail

so why are we not waiting for a detailed z750 usage review before getting into all this?

sometimes I feel that people just look for things to complain about rather than enjoying what we have. I'm sure SE would not remove the back button without ensuring an alternate solution that is equally usable and since no white paper is available yet I feel this whole thread is all based on just a couple of pictures and not experiential use
Seanyb2
W995 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-04-08 22:59
The one thing SE should get rid of is that awful unusable joystick.
Charge
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-09 05:54
I think I know why SE changed their button format...

Its because of JP 8...

JP 8 is supposed to be a cross platform java solution for any new phone. So a designer who designs an app using JP 8 can rest assured that it'll work on any phone which supports JP 8... he won't need to worry about the lack of any JSRs on some vague phone.

Such a scheme would be impossible unless all JP 8 phones had a somewhat standard button layout... hence the change.

That said I don't see why SE can't make the 'end' button behave like a 'back' button if the user so desires.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-09 06:48

On 2007-04-09 05:54:43, Charge wrote:
I think I know why SE changed their button format...

Its because of JP 8...

JP 8 is supposed to be a cross platform java solution for any new phone. So a designer who designs an app using JP 8 can rest assured that it'll work on any phone which supports JP 8... he won't need to worry about the lack of any JSRs on some vague phone.

Such a scheme would be impossible unless all JP 8 phones had a somewhat standard button layout... hence the change.

That said I don't see why SE can't make the 'end' button behave like a 'back' button if the user so desires.

You are probably right about jp8...and SE are dedicated to the JAVA platform, I believe K800 was the first to support the multi-tasking java vm?

I would miss the dedicated back button, and I'm not just over-reacting to pictures. I am a big fan of the SE gui, it was designed well from the start and still works well to this day even with multimedia phones. I accept one criticism t9 texting needs to be improved, but the over all GUI I feel is much more advanced than Nokia.

Even if I'm wrong about that, it's still much better for my personal preferences, and I'm sure many SE users have stuck with SE over the years for the same reason as I; that they prefer the GUI layout over all others. Look at it this way, all companies now have reasonable spec'd phones, so you don't need to stay with a particular manufacter unless you have very specific hardware requirements. Appearance is quite important, but this also is not limited to any one make of phone. This leaves the GUI as the feature of a phone that is unique to SE, the main reason you will choose it over another manufacturer.

The issue of GUI is really one of the most important aspects of choosing a phone, because it determines if you are going to enjoy using the phone or find it a hindrance. For me Nokia's are a hindrance. I can get used to them, but always have that feeling that getting things done could be more efficient. I don't feel that way when using an SE gui.

But, all said and done, @charge's point that it is probably to do with JP 8 makes sense and I support SE doing this if it is to ensure industry wide compatibilty of JAVA.

If that's the reason I'm happy, I just hope SE hasn't fallen for the "everybody loves the nokia UI the best" mythology
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-09 11:20

On 2007-04-08 22:59:00, Seanyb2 wrote:

Well looks like they have done that hear. Thats one thing I really do not miss since I got my N95! Its a joy to be able to move around the menu's without hassle!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-04-09 11:38
I was just gazing down at my T610 and thinking how nice and simple it looks - although it was well specced for its time. What happened to this philosophy?

It seems with the UI of the Z750i SE thinks its a good idea to have as many options as possible, for each and every function, at your fingertips.

Sometimes Less is More!

.....bringbacktheback!......

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-04-09 10:39 ]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-09 12:00
...when has a red 'end call' button done anything other than end a call/return a phone to standby?? No navigational function, no administrative(i.e: 'c'=DELETE) ones......

....just tested on Sharp GX10, Samsung D600, LG Shine, N73........they're all the same......just like J-series.......

.....not why most of us bought ....

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-10 00:13

On 2007-04-08 22:59:00, Seanyb2 wrote:

for every person who hates joysticks, there are just as many who prefer them. Some people seem to destroy joysticks others don't. So it beats me, but all I know is my joysticks last very well. On my K750, the joystick needed cleaning once in the 20 months I've owned the phone. On my K700 it needed cleaning once, and still works perfectly, the phone is now 3 years old, and my T610 never needed cleaning at all and it also still works perfectly.

Since the K800 joystick is better protected, I expect I may never need to clean it if I eventually get one (I'm waiting for the K810)

So in my mind I've gotta wonder what it is people who destroy joysticks do to their phones?
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-10 04:46

So in my mind I've gotta wonder what it is people who destroy joysticks do to their phones?

Agreed. I've had my T616 and T637 for years, and the joystick was never the problem. I prefer it to the D-pad of my W810, to be honest.

Back OT, I also wonder why has updated its phones' keys thusly. I'll have to wait to get my hands on one before I pass judgment, however.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-04-10 09:16
@Hlcn Twst

A good idea. Although the new layout is aesthetically different, we really shouldn't pass judgement before we actually use it, however I am still a bit sceptible.
DeLa
T600
PM
Posted: 2007-04-10 09:33
I think the red 'end call' button will behave as the back button did.
Much ado about nothing.

The SE gui still is the most user friendly (despite the talk over the 'simple' Nokias) and the latest little changes they have made always made it even better. Have some confidence!
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-04-10 11:30
Apart from us die hard fans, most people prefer using the Nokia style three softkey interface and call up/hang up keys.

I'd prefer the old way, less clunky IMO, but if more people prefer the Nokia way, then SE only can benefit in sales which is obviously what any company wants.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-10 11:42
i prefere the old ericsson way with the yes and no, and the C and option key. i can live the current SE way, but it seems they are going nokia style now, so this means, i'll only be happy with a symbian phone, unless the change it aswell, then i'm off to neonode.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi