Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Has anyone debranded N95 yet?

Author Has anyone debranded N95 yet?
mutleyboy
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 21:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
not done it on an N95 (most important for you as its so new is to make sure you have the correct product code for an unbranded firmware)

have used the process to de-brand an orange N80 and a t-mobile N70 and both worked no problems
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 21:36
thanks, yeah I'm finding lots of stuff for those but for N95 there is almost nothing so far and since I've requested an unlock code for this IMEI, and since I'm off to Sydney again in 2 weeks and want to use my aussie sim card, I don't want to stuff this one up

I'm a patient bloke so I'll wait
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 22:57
I have had my NUC from Voda, about 20 minutes after getting the handset! Good think being a business customer of 15 years.

I changed the product code of my N95 using NSS, and it works fine.

The Nokia Update Service will not change the firmware yet as all the handsets have 10.0.018 at the mo, and NUS sees the phone, but as the firmware version is the same it just says you have the current version.

You need to wait till there is a update available, and it'll then overwrite with the unbranded version.

regards

David
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 23:07
I was with voda for year and the few times I bought branded for my family I always got the unlock code at point fo sale as Vodafone can look them up in the shops (unless they have changed that recently)

I moved to t-mobile 9 months ago as voda were promising new data packages, well, for ever really but they never came. even hte other day when investigating N95 from all carriers voda were telling me new data packages were come! yeah, sure thing.

anyway... thanks for the info...
cobra111
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 23:32
changed my product code yesterday and also waiting for an update to become available.
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-06 00:19
debranding or flashing should be done if you want languages or to remove locked settings.
Everything else is pretty much just a theme.

I got my unlock code the next day from voda, but now I'm exchanging the phone so I'll have to request another one dammit....
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-04-06 09:03
@mass...

i've done it via NSS a load of times... works perfect. An i've done it on vista using the latest version and its fine as well lol...

You can find a full list of product codes on :

www.a site.com

Its in their forums!
Waka
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-04-06 21:17
I just got my N95 on O2 - apparently all O2 ones come unlocked, mine certainly is.

Would still like to get rid of the O2 branding though!

W.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-07 16:07
Hi Masseur,

I was speaking with Vodafone just the other day they are now due June same as last Year LOL. But i managed to get some prices out of him still £2 odd per MB but a capped price for 4mb per day. After i stopped laughing i told him i pay £7.50 for up to 1gb and asked him if he thought it was a good idea to change even he admitted no it's pathetic really. Vodafone are just ripping people off and as long as they pay i doubt they will change as at those prices less people and traffic most probably generates more income.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 16:14
well... still waiting for the next firmware so I can debrand but I have now receivde and replaced the battery cover with a non network branded one so now the housing, at least, is done

got it from l8shop
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 19:28
Just recieved my front replacement genuine Nokia front cover for the N95. Replaces the 'lovely' Vodfone branded one that Voda so kindly decided to supply.

Before:

After:

To my surprise the complete outer face plate is metal, not pained plastic, it's magnesium, as is the rear of the slider mechanism. When I removed the 4 screws I noticed they were not the usual self tapping screws generally used on plastic cases, but machined stainless screws.

You can see from the picture below the inside of the front cover showing it's metal.

So there is actually a bit of quality in the handset after all!!

So all in all, a good days work, recieve phone Free from Voda (business customer), unlocked 30 mins after recieving it directly from voda, then reflashed with generic software at service centre, and finally casing changed for a mere £14.99. marvelous.

Off to play with other new toy that arrived today

David

[ This Message was edited by: floatlite on 2007-04-12 18:30 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 19:31
sounds like a great deal! I'm glad Orange didn't put anything on the front a I wouldn't have fancied taking that off. battery cover is dead easy

did you change the product code before going to the service centre or did they do all that for you?
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 19:35
I changed the product code, and could not be assed waiting for a firmware update from NUS. So I changed the code and went in and asked them to reflash the hadset, as I was having 'issues', they said, ok, and bob's yer uncle, 20 mins later, swish fresh firmware of the generic UK variety.

Lovely job.

David
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 19:38
ok, well if I find myself near a service centre I guess I'll do the same. thanks for the tip!
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 20:38
@ Floatlite, exactly what product code did you use? i just want to be sure before going into my local service centre...cheers

Craig
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi