Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > K800i .bricked .no reason!

12  Next
Author K800i .bricked .no reason!
JoeBron
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 18:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Was using my K800i today, just sent my first SMS using mig33. Turned it off, and it never turned on again!

I have the basic original firmware, and many software applications, but as far as I know, they're all safe. They all (I think) use Java, and I've used them all for a few weeks without any trouble.

The phone does absolutely nothing, and will not respond to being plugged in anywhere. My PC no longer recognises it.
The only function it has now is... When i press the power button, a red light under the infrared port cover blinks 6 times, or it turns on for about 1 second if I hold the button down. This does not happen when I press the power button with any power lead attatched, but does as soon as the lead is pushed in.

Does anyone know what could have happened? Is there a way to reset the phone at startup, like holding menu and the centre button does to an iPod?

Also, call me stupid, but... where do I go to register my phone for warrentee, as I haven't yet!

Thanks in advance for your help people!
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 19:06
may sound stupid but that sounds like a flat battery !!!!!
plug in the charger and leave it over night .....
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
JoeBron
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 19:13
Nah its not the battery, but thanks for trying. Its been charging all night and only stopped working a couple of hours after I woke up.

And since it stopped working, I gave it a half-hour charge just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 19:32
Your poor K800i is D.E.A.D aka Dead aka Kicked the bucket lol, u can go and get ur K800 flashd for bout 45quid

This message was posted from a W900i
JoeBron
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 19:41
How can you be sure its bricked? I've done nothing strange to it! Its not as if I'd installed new software just before it broke.

You could be right, but do you have any other suggestions, before I go expecting the worst?
JoeBron
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 20:02
On a side-note, I'd like to say that I've had faster responeses on here than I ever remember on another forum.

Nice one!
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 21:59
you could try a wotan/davinci reflash before spending "loads" ... they're
like 6-10 euros .... all you need is internet and a dcu-60
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 22:18
You have a problem with the phone's EROM........

This is NOT as expensive as a full flash to fix, although you probably need a service cable(i.e: NOT the cable that comes with the phone). I can't think of the people to find, sure it's 'Kulan', or simlar.......will post it later, if I can.......

It's Kulankendi! Try this thread :
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=136077#post1833443

HTH, your phone isn't dead! Just in a short-term coma......

[ This Message was edited by: Aware on 2006-12-31 21:21 ]
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-31 23:40
Aware is correct about the EROM issue.

However. If you go on Wotanserver and buy a credit (about 4 Euro's - £5 GBP). Then download the Wotan client and wait for the program to update itself. Then put in you user id and password (Usually already there for you if you already have a credit in your account) and click on the CHECK icon. The server will connect and confirm you have any credits on your account.

NOTE
(DO NOT PROCEED WITH THE STEPS BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT YET INSTALLED THE FLASH DRIVER FOR THE K800. THE DRIVER IS LOCATED ON THE PHONES SOFTWARE DISC. Insert the software disc and then connect the USB cable. Then hold down the C button on your phone and plug it into the cable. Your computers Found New Hardware Wizard will start. Let the computet search for the driver and install. Then continue with the steps below)

Next. Plug in your DCU-60 cable that comes with your phone to your computers available USB socket (DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE AT THIS TIME)

Next. Make sure you have taken out your sim card and M2 memory card.

Click on START on the Wotan client. The client will go into search mode and look for your phone.
Now hold down the C button on your phone and connect it to the USB cable.

The Wotan client will detect your phone. It will also tell you if your EROM is outdated and will ask you to update the EROM (EROM update is free but you need to have a credit on your Wotan account before you can perform the update)

If you have an out of date EROM. The Wotan client will tell you to unplug your phone. Remove the battery for 5-10 seconds and then put it back in..
press start on the Wotan client.
Hold doen keys 2 and 5 on your phone and plug it back into the USB cable.

The Wotan client will detect your phone and perform the EROM update.

When it has finished. Unplug the phone and insert you sim card.
Power up the phone and everything should be ok.

You can then use your credit on Wotan server to update to the latest firmware (R1GB001 is the latest) for the K800 and also enable the AMR codec, disable the Play Now service and a few others if you want to.

Basically just follow the instructions on the Wotan Client and you can't go wrong

Any problems. Drop me a PM and I'll be glad to help out.

Hope this helps and I hope you will be able to enjoy your phone again
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
JoeBron
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-01 21:25
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful! (Assuming this works! I haven't tried it yet)

Before I go ahead I want to check a few things...

- How can you be sure its an EROM? Is this a known problem, are the 6 flashes of light an indicator for what's wrong?

- Is there any danger in doing this? Can it permenantly destroy anything?

- Will it void warrentee?

- I don't remember if I installed my phone through "Add new hardware" or using the CD. I do know though, that I must have some form of driver installed as I could use my phone fine with my computer before, and also that some features (eg: modem) did not get installed/configured on my computer. Do I have the flash driver installed?

- Rookwie's method stated "K800", not "K800i". Is there a difference? Will I lose any features?

- How can wotan detect my phone if the ROM is only active while the phone is turned on, and it won't turn on?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want my £160 investment to go down the pan!
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-01-01 21:39
it's defo a EROM issue, I had the same problem on an older K800, and once I had flashed the EROM it was fine.

David
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-01 22:52
Briefly:

Yes, the LEDS signify an EROM problem, as they did on K750/i.......

The 'i' signifies a european K800, also use 'a' and 'c' for America/China, the model of phone is still the same......

Don't worry about service programs detecting your phone when you cant see it switch on. The phone's OS can be accessed in service(I call it 'ghost') mode, as the phone's being programmed at this level(i.e: above the UI level we see when operating the device), it doesn't need screen support as it communicates through the service software.......

Finally, yes it will probably invalidate your warranty.....if you want that upheld, you'll have to send to phone to an service centre for a couple of weeks(at least).....BTW, my EROM update(I used DaVinci, I have an account with them)took 0.49 seconds, really is that easy!

HTH
p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-01 23:50
Again I agree with Aware.

I didn't use the prefix i,a,c in the guide as the procedure applies to all K800 models regardless of country designation.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
JoeBron
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-02 01:06
Wow, thanks for all the help.

The only reason I'm not doing this right now is because of the warrentee... K800 doesn't seem to be the most reliable of phones, as I've found out on various forums, so I might need it later...

Anyways, you've done all you can, its just my decision now.
Thanks again!
Chrispy
W580 Grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-02 01:37
@rookwise: do you think this could be the same problem, solved in the same way for my k750i? see this thread

[ This Message was edited by: dumbrella on 2007-01-02 00:38 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi