Author SE W850i - crack directional pad
freackers
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2007-01-21 16:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
tom_riddle
5 days? wow that was quick.

i think there won't be crack if u guys press it with the right way.
coz seriously, after got the downwards crack. it never happen again to any direction. and of course i use it normally.
t20s//t610//w900//w850
HPM-70//HPM-80//HPM-85
kennieteo
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 07:58
Dear fellow SE fans,

This could be good news for W850i users.

I had my crack D-pad replaced under warranty by the SE service Center about a month ago. Till now I'm very happy with the new pad. There's no more crack after 1 month of daily usage. We did a lot of texting over here in singapore and the "down" direction is the most frequently press button to select words while using T9. Of course I've been more careful this time round.

After the replacement, the entire D-pad and all other buttons seems to have a better feel. They don't feel so tight anymore. SE could have made some improvement in the D-pad to over come the crack D pad problem.

I love this phone too much to sell it away. I'll continue to monitor and should there be anymore problem with the D-pad, I'll be the first to let everybody know. Cheers!
tom_riddle
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 08:47
@freackers
yup, 5 days. here in manila, we text more than call. and just like kennieteo posted, the down button in the d pad is frequently used.

well, i just have to go back to the service center for the replacement of the pad.
freackers
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 03:13
@ kennieteo
congratulations. thats a good news.

@ tom_riddle
let me know, if u got the replacement under warranty or not?
coz here in my state we just couldn't get the spareparts under warranty.
t20s//t610//w900//w850
HPM-70//HPM-80//HPM-85
tom_riddle
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 04:16
@freackers
if we bought our phones from a sony ericsson store or a distributor licensed to sell sony ericsson products, our phones will be under warranty and parts shall be replaced for freee.

but if we bought our phones from the black market, without a sony ericsson warranty, parts need to replaced shall be paid.

i will keep you updated. thanks.
are you on the list?
Corbeau
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-25 14:50
As I promised, I have contacted SE about this problem and they have already responded to my e-mail.

The wanted to thank me for 'my' (in this case, our ) remarkable notice of this tiny problem. It seems that they are already discussing this problem internal. They've promised to give me a clear answer as soon as possible.

I've also referred them to ESATO, giving them this link, with the going discussion.

I'll definitely keep you posted when an answer arrives ...
Sony Ericsson W850i.
mnaeh
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-27 22:33
Hi guys! I just wanted to say that W850 was my big favorite and only a few days before buying it I stumbled upon this thread. It was a huge disappointment I really don't want to buy something that will look "old" and "broken" after the first couple of days.

Anyway… I posted a link to this thread to some SE phones related forums in my country and many people decided to boycott the phone until they (SE) make some reasonable solution. I mean, damn! Rubber was invented long, long ago. It would take an idiot to use plain plastic for that d-pad. And have they heard about stress tests?? I think in today's modern industry, there are many well known methods for doing it. They have to come up with some brand new d-pad.

So I just wanted to give you all my voice of support! I still think W850 is the greatest phone (if you are a hardcore SE fan, like me) and I will definitely buy it if they find a solution even if I have to pay extra for it.

[ This Message was edited by: mnaeh on 2007-01-27 22:46 ]
Slybeans
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-01-29 02:57
Bit extreme reaction there mate.
mnaeh
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-29 12:10
Well, you can't expect people to buy something that "will be broken very soon" Of course I expect there will be still a lot of people who will by this phone anyway. As I said, I myself will by the first in line in front of the store as soon as they offer me (us) some solution. I still am a great SE fan!

And BTW, here on the Net, extreme reactions are something you usually expect from people
just4kix
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2007-02-03 10:44
just stumbled upon this thread after googling for other unfortunate guys like me who has a cracked d-pad.

@tom_riddle, were you able to get your unit fixed?

any updates?
Houtsma
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-08 12:01
Hi,

I even bought this phone after reading this thread. It comes with 24 months of warrenty in the netherlands so who cares. If it breaks i will send it in for repair. If it holds 24 months it will hold for more years as well. The phone is too nice to leave it for a Nokia or so. And as mentioned before in this thread i really think it depends on the way you use the pad if it will eventually break or not. You just need to be more careful and get used to pressing it in the right way. If you just press on or below the bottom led it will all be fine! If however you always miss the correct spot (excitedly watching the screen not knowing where your thumb really is) pressing just above the led (between the middle button and the led itself) you will notice much more pressure to get any response from the button. That's because it's not supposed to be pressed there. Of course it shouldn't break because of that at all! But if you get used to press on the correct spot (on or below the bottom led) you will probably never get this problem. It's just a small habbit you should learn especially if you know in advance that this problem exists

But it's a really a great phone with excellent features, great mp3 and fm sound quality, excellent phone features (including voice dialing), UMTS and GPRS and even the heavily discussed camera didn't disappoint me if you just use the right options when you make a photo!

--
jan

[ This Message was edited by: houtsma on 2007-02-09 14:17 ]
mikespal
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-09 11:12
@Houtsma

Yes,that seems to say it all!It's a great phone!
others have done it - you can to!
firetech
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-02-09 15:46
I identified two phones with this problem today, neither of the owners had noticed, and one of the cracks actually went diagonally past the button circle and had a potential risk of growing even bigger...
So far, two of three phones that I've inspected have had a crack. Bad quality... (Not a very big sample though )
P990i (GW1) + 4GB MS
This signature is (probably) brought to you with the help of HTTP.
Ugly_Betty
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-09 19:03
I have a query but it's nothing to do with the keypad...

I was wondering, does anyone know what the blue icon means that is on the display of the phone near the signal strength. It looks like 3 pale blue discs that are stacked above one another. It is NOT the bluetooth but something else. I've looked in the manual, but it doesn't have any explanation of why it's there. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

"An Eye For An Eye, Makes The Whole World Blind" -- M.Ghandi
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2007-02-09 21:26
@Ugly_Betty

It's the 3G icon and it has been mentioned under several other topics already.
Searching this forum could have solved the mystery

Cheers.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi