Posted: 2006-12-15 16:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
just looked at my black w850..found the crack ;_;
Tiny
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-15 19:20
I've got no crack in mine...yet...how much do you think the spare part would cost if it wasn't covered under warranty?
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 00:04
So much for the hope that the issue affects only the white W850i version.

Misery loves company.

@ Tiny I suggest you stop worrying before the crack appears. Hopefully, your phone will be spared.

For the pictures of the crack check out my updated post on the previous page.

[ This Message was edited by: mobse on 2006-12-16 19:39 ]
johny_dmonic
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 16:24
the crack is not really noticeable unless you press the down directional button. heck i won't know mine until i stumble upon this post. i think the 4 directional pads would eventually crack due to wear and tear..or it's just that the plastic used can't handle such abuse (i like pressing down a lot)
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 20:35
@ johny_dmonic

I totally agree with you. I did notice something between the play button and the down navigation button before, though. Honestly I thought it to be something like dust that I believed to have wiped away. But, alas, it is not...

Who knows when I would have discovered the truth if it wasn't for this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: mobse on 2006-12-16 20:22 ]
Tiny
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 21:14
If it doesn't affect the button itself i won't be too bothered, its like my PSP which has got a dead pixel at the top of the screen...doesn't really do anything but makes me rly upset tht its there lol
jack77777
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 22:13
still no crack on mine , how long have u guys wiht the crack had your w850i's ?

also , i have a nasty scratch on the back of myn on the chrome part , a peice of dirt or grit must have got in the way of the sliding mechanism , quite upsetting oh well i geuss its the worse part of owning a sliding phone lol.
15% online - Sony Ericsson - "4 lyf"
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 22:26
I've had mine for about five weeks.

The disturbing thought is that I might have actually bought it with the crack, since there is no way to be sure that I was the first customer to have touched it and since the crack is rather thin (as can be seen in the pictures I posted on page 1 of this topic) it's unlikely to be noticed in the shop.

[ This Message was edited by: mobse on 2006-12-16 21:27 ]
jack77777
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 22:40
geuss im just lucky , then , so its just a matter of luck whether it will crack or do u think it will be often , like k750i with joystick ?
15% online - Sony Ericsson - "4 lyf"
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-16 22:56
There's no way of telling whether this issue will gain such notoriety, but judging from what the thread starter said, namely, that it's already a known iissue in Singapore, I'm afraid that it's spreading.

It's unbelievable that SE designers have overlooked the obvious fact that the material of which the pad is made must be able to withstand the normal / expected amount of pressure...

There should be a way for the affected customers to complain and get replacements or be sure to be covered by warranty.
redangel7
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 11:22
i just checked mine and can't find any crack. However i'm quite disappointed with the material because it's scratched very easily. I've had a Nokia N-Gage for almost 2 years and i put it anywhere, insert it to any kinds of trouser pocket, jeans, and i don't make even a single scratch. This one i just had for less than a month and i found one scratch in the keypad already. If you want to change it, the keypad itself in eBay (complete with the front and back cover) cost about 50 USD so i expect the keypad only plus service charge is about 30 SGD? Just an estimation though.

About SE customer service, i did send them an email asking about this change cover matter and until now all i get is an auto generated email -_-""
mikespal
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 16:32
i have checked my phone and all seems to be ok.i did not go into any vodafone shop to view the phone but got it as an update on my contract after reading the rave reviews.having had samsungs before i did think the pad seemed not as robust as i would like.however,i do agree that it depends on how much pressure is put on it.i have noticed that the lower button is not is "proud" as the rest.
all in all its still a great phone.
jack77777
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-20 16:35
$30 sounds fine , but be careful for foreighn scammers! , also if i were you id wait a month cos the crack will get worse and theres no point buying one for it to get broken again then buy another and so on .
kennieteo
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-12-21 03:20
Hi all,

I've sent in my W850i for servicing already and I should be able to get it back before x-mas. Luckily, SE has kept their promise and it'll be serviced in warranty and I do not have to pay a single cent.

Well, anyway I'm going to sell my W850i once I got it back as I don't have confidence that the new D-pad will not crack again. It's really a hassle to Q for 2 hours for your turn to be served by the customer service agent and then to wait for a few weeks for the parts to arrive.

I must said that I'm a little disappointed with SE this time but as a die hard SE fan, I'll still purchase another SE phone if a good one comes along. However, it'll definitely be a model that's without a plastic D-pad that's crack easily!

If you are in Singapore, please do not wait for the Service Center to contact you. I call the Service HelpDesk directly to enquire the status of the spare part. After leaving them my contact number, they called me back within 2 hours to inform me that the spare part has just arrived. God knows when they will contact me if I'm not proactive in calling them.

This is how I manage to get my phone service.
freackers
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-21 12:22
Quote:

On 2006-12-21 03:20:56, kennieteo wrote:
..If you are in Singapore, please do not wait for the Service Center to contact you. I call the Service HelpDesk directly to enquire the status of the spare part. After leaving them my contact number, they called me back within 2 hours to inform me that the spare part has just arrived. God knows when they will contact me if I'm not proactive in calling them.

This is how I manage to get my phone service.

Service HelpDesk? never heard about them. I'm in Indonesia by the way.
do you think they got Service HelpDesk thing here? all i know is the Service Centre. i'm leaving my number in two Service Centre..none of them ever call me. its been a month.
And i think i still have to pay for the sparepart. they seem don't know nothing about this common problem.
and i don't see any way to get this under warranty. crap.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi