Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K800i Joystick Problem

Author K800i Joystick Problem
teesiong25
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-04 23:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi , anyone here can show the pics how to disassamble the K800i ? I wanna do it also , but dun know how to open it . I got the screw driver already on my hand but ....
K800i , Z800i , P910i , Z1010 , K700i , T630 , R520, P800i , T68i , MCA 25 , HBH 15 , HBH 60 , HBH 660 , IBT 20
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-04 23:54
As i recall here was a thread with some links, pls try the search, i am on wap, cannot link it here for u

This message was posted from a 6233
rajravat
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-06 23:37
ive found when my joystick is playing up... i turn it around in circles really hard about 15-20 times and then the same in the opposite direction... this usually fixes the problem for me for a few months until it happens again... then i just repeat... this method has been working for me for the past 6 months ive had the phone...
Simulator
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-19 17:44
I did the press down, 20 clockwise then 20 counterclockwise turns, and it seems to do the trick. The only explanation for why this would make a diff would be mechanical -- either dirt above the seal or some physical lack of contact below the seal where the contacts meet. I had my phone for about 8 weeks when the lack of responsiveness on the down joystick movement first became evident.
HOUSEQUAKE
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-02 14:57
Quote:
funny you guys should mention this, because, i personally have had my de k800i since mid august, an havent had any joystick problems at all, perhaps you guys hve a early first dodgy batch ?

Do realise how girly you sound???

"funny you guys..."

Pansie

hanugro
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-02 16:15
Not that I have problems with K800 joystick yet but here are some points:

1. Updating firmware with SEUS is not complete rewrite of firmware. (remember that it retain your setting and data).
2. Only full reflash by SE authorized service center will completely fix any related firmware problem. And that mean all your data/setting is gone.
3. Even though you reflash at service centre they may do part reflash (just like SEUS) OR complete reflash. You just need to check whether your data/setting is still in your phone when you receive your phone back to know which method they use. They won't backup and rewrite your data for you, believe me.

Now my personal experience with SE authorized service center is that they claim that firmware reflash will fix erratic joystick (I was previous owner T68i, T610, T630). Not that I believe them 100%, but they did fix the joystick problems (I have 2 complain before but don't remember which phone(s) ) after I put them on service center. They only claim to reflash it (who knows maybe they clean it as well) but I don't really care as long as they fix it. You guys need to mention specifically (joystick problem) when handing in the phone to service center.

Now which one is true? I think ppl just use which methods work for them. It only cost about US$10 (the rate for my country) for SE authorized service center to check and reflash phone that is out of warranty anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: hanugro on 2007-02-02 15:37 ]
john513
K310
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-02 20:07
what there??? [addsig]
Rexer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-18 14:58
guys listen up, i think i have just sussed out the problem and both sides of the argument are correct, point 1 is that dust cant get in to the actual switch very easly due to the design (look at the pic of the joystic cover in a previous post) point 2 is that it IS a dust issue, its just not what you think, point 3 it is because the joystick is too sensitive ie it only has to move a very small amount for the derection to change from say down to down/left, let me explain what i think....

right, if you get a small bit of dust/grit in the area surrounding the main part of the joystick (outer) lets say it sits in the void around the main button, lets also say (for example) that this piece of grit is sitting in a 5 o clock position, when you pres down it will move your downwards movment to a down/left movement.

i also was starting to think it was a firmware issue and i still think this problem can be overcome with a bit of reprogramming of the firmware ie make it use all downward movements including down/left and down/right to respond as just a down then this would liven up the menus a fair bit and maybe for games that use all 8 positions they could leave this feature out ( you would have to keep it clean if you want to play games properly though)
like i said at first i was thinking it was just firmware as i could hear the click from the speaker telling me it had taken note that i had moved the joystick but it didnt move on the screen, however i have gone in to the service menu and done a keypress test, 9 out of 10 down keypresses came up as a down/left press, so its not firmware as such it is dust thats why just cleaning around the joystick works, it does nothing to the actual switch internals it just cleans the dust from the void around it.

if you are brave enough to take the phone apart (quite easy) and take out the joystick cover (actualy its a seperate key pad that has 6 buttons as well as the joystick cover) have a play with it and you will see that its just a really bad design as the fold of rubber that makes up the void im on about has a creese (spelling) that is too sharp and thats why dust/ grit gets stuck in it.

iv tried to explain what i think but im not that good at getting my points across( not very articulate) but some one with a bit more explaining skills might be able to add to this.

let me know what you think.

Nick
ps im a noob to this forum.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-18 15:08
Yeah, small moves are useful, but my one jumps too, after 1 sec delay. So se, use rubber rings at your joys or give us joypads

This message was posted from a K800i
pimp123
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-03-07 18:47

On 2006-11-12 12:19:00, aremaboy wrote:
I 'massage' mine in a circular motion with my thumb as it gives me troubles. It works OK afterwards. Press the centre, hold, and 'massage' it! Nice. Really.

this worked incredibly well! thanks a ton aremaboy. damn the sony ppl should really get their engineers to design a more robust joystick.
derugatory
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-03-16 10:01
I had the same issues with the joystick, and thought it was a physical problem too. After upgrading the firmware to R1JG001, the problem was rectified. I don't know how...but it's working like a charm now.
Duran
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-03-16 10:09
My joystick is almost dead too, pressing left/right/down works 1in10 times.
BUT, when i press (e.g.) right while writing an sms, the cursor stops "blinking", so it does a sign from my joystick, but it wont move.
:S
juming
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-03-26 12:04
Hm... after all post, about problem and solution, I think there is an word that make joystick behave incorrectly, it's an 'Oxidation', all of user who using an joystick it's may get dirt of dust, but it's not too easy for dust come to joystick mechanism, since the design of keypad and joystick mechanism itself.

So the only thing that can come easily to joystick mechanism is air, which have different temperature, and since people usually moving, and phone operated so it can get warm, then cold again, the only can make some problem with joystick, is themperature changing from when it get warm and cold and repeated, so it can make some layer of oxidation on internal joystick mechanism.

And actually the solution of it is nothing, except SE will make an joystick mechanism which completely sealed from air. So the solution for massaging the joystick is the most practically, unless the oxidation layer getting too thin, then replace the joystick is the last action.
Maddreg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 00:38
In my opinion - it's not a sowtware problem nor hardware. It's just the way this joystick works. When phone is brand new, joystik is tight enough to prevent diagonal movements. After a while, it's getting softer, so it's easier to make diagonal presses. So there are just two ways to get rid of that problem: 1. to prevent somehow joystick from doing diagonal presses (to make something like + from plastic, for example and fix it on the joystick, so it will be firmly fixed inside that cross and won't be able to move diagonals) 2. Upgrade firmware to version r1jg001 and make master reset (i did both: first "reset all" then "reset settings" it helped me) in which our beloved SE fixed at last the problem with diagonal presses in menu and etc. I'm quite sure that they did it, couse in menu joystick works good, but in keyboard test diagonal presses still happen when I press just left or down.

Good luck!
Neo-Tech
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-05 16:24
They should put a soft rubber seal around the joystick area so no dust gets in and it works better.

Who agrees
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi