Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K800i Joystick Problem

Author K800i Joystick Problem
presto
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-11 03:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi there. I've only had the phone for about 2-3months but already when pushing the joystick down it doesn't always do it. I have to pull it down with my thumb quite firmly, which is annoying.

Is this firmware related or has it eaten too much dust?

Ty.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-11-11 03:39
@presto - Having read in the past here that certain fones have JOYSTICK problems: K700/K750 . . . and now the K800 they are in the 's K-series family if you have made notice . . . if cleaning will NOT do, maybe a firmware upgrade will do . . . but not 100% sure here . . . maybe something is just loose beneath the joystick I hope that will be fixed - soon mate ! [addsig]
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-11 20:37
It appears to be dust thats causing the problem. If you blow very strongly into the joystick area it temporarily fixes the problem. I've not got round to trying one of those air cans yet.

Its a very very annoying fault, and I've have my phone just over a month . I had this problem with my W800i and SE were supposed to have fixed this problem.
Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 02:03
Sony Ericsson could easily fix this problem by using a bit of engineering into the joystick. ie have the joystick on a bearing which is completely sealed around the joystick so no crap can get inside.

in inner workings on the handsets should all be sealed anyway.
chadiwrx
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 05:45
I'm having problems with the joystick on my K800i too. Down & left is very hard to get it to respond. It's only 8weeks old.
Sooteee
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 09:40
Mines gone back to o2 for repair number one.
It's 3 months old and I'll be sending it back at 6 months, 9 months and just before the 12 month O2 warranty is up to keep it going.

I still prefer the design on my w810i, so much better all round.

S
To request drugs please press hash...
upper
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 10:44
I can surely tell you that this is a firmware problem and not hardware.

This sometimes happens to me too when i try to navigate my phone, it just freezes for a couple of seconds and then it becomes fine.

1 time I changed my profile to "outdoor" and with that you hear a tone everytime you move the joystick or press any key, so basicaly when I do move my joystick it makes a tone and it still makes a tone although the cursor on the phone don't move, surely you would think its the faulty joystick if the tone wasn't switched on but how could it be faulty joystick when the phone recognises your joystick movement by giving out a tone signal.

Basicly this phone needs another firmware update.
Daisun
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 11:06
I've actually opened my k800i to try and fix the stupid joystick... I've noticed that the joystick 'nob' (the bit dat u move with ur thumb) is part of a semi-see-thru piece of plastic. This plastic completely covers the whole keypad + softkey area of the phone, that is, all the keys sit on top of this plastic. In theory there should be no dust getting into the actual joystick component which is underneath the plastic.

I've sprayed the joystick bit under the plastic with some VCD head cleaner (stuff dat evaporates completely) seems to fix it for a few days but after that the stick becomes unresponsive once again. So obviously dirt is getting in there sumhow...

/edit
I just turned the 'key sound' on and i've noticed exactly wat the above post said. Its definitely a firmware problem. When i move the joystick in the menu or anywhere else a tone is heard but the 'highlight' doesn't move. This shows that the hardware is registering a joystick movement but the software just wont do it... weird. How can dis bug even exist?

[ This Message was edited by: Daisun on 2006-11-12 10:09 ]
k1000
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 11:46
Same problem here. I've noticed on some occasions, the phone even remembers you pressed down and if you press it down again, the cursor goes down twice. It's true though that sometimes it doesn't do anything. Maybe it skips checking the keyboard buffer on some occasions?
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 12:19
I 'massage' mine in a circular motion with my thumb as it gives me troubles. It works OK afterwards. Press the centre, hold, and 'massage' it! Nice. Really.
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 16:18
If its a firmware problem then why does blowing the dust away or massaging the joystick fix the problem?

I have the latest firmware but this was a problem on my original software as well.
Rajjy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 16:33
HOW MANY BLOODY NEW THREADS ARE THERE GOING TO BE ABOUT THIS SAME SUBJECT!?!!?

IT'S DUST!!

REMEDY: SPRAY SOME WD40 ON A FLATTENED END OF A COTTON BUD, GO AROUND THE JOYSITCK, AND GET UNDERNEATH IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. PROBLEM SOLVED. PROCESS MAY NEED REPEATING EVERY 2 MONTHS OR SO.

WHOEVER THINKS ITS A FIRMWARE ISSUE, NEEDS A SLAP.

[ This Message was edited by: Rajjy on 2006-11-12 17:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Rajjy on 2006-11-12 17:01 ]
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 17:52
Its ridiculous we have to do this though. You pay a lot of money for a phone and have to clean the dust because of a defect? Its a joke, very disapointing.

This message was posted from a K800i
Rajjy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 18:03
Agreed its a pain. But however good you think a phone is, you upgrade to it, there's always gonna be something to piss you off about it. No phone is perfect.

Also, those cans of compressed air you mentioned earlier, ain't all that effective.
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 22:17
Damn, so I'm going to have to use WD40? That stuff is really greasy
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi