Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K800i Joystick Problem

Author K800i Joystick Problem
xan K
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 23:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
mine also does the same thing, down and left joystick are sometimes unresponsive. I wouldn't totally rule out the software possibility. Sometimes it's working perfect then it's a total mess. one is certain for me: this was my LAST joystick phone. no more!
Daisun
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-12 23:34
Guys, turn the 'key sound' on and you will see that when the joystick appears to be unresponsive it still makes a sound. Now if this was a hardware problem why would the phone still make a sound when the joystick is pressed?
maccad
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-13 00:01
can i just say that this was the reason i got a w850i, I've now had a t610, k750 and both have had the joystick mess up on me. I've had them repaired both times before the warranty was up but it will only be a while till it goes again. Getting rid of the stupid joystick was the best thing SE did on the w810 and w850 and should be made standard through the range.

with the sounds thing i reckon the software is programmed to register the joystick being pressed in one direction for so long as a movement as to prevent accidental directions and if there's a dust it means only a very short movement is made so it isn't long enough to signal a movement but just enough to make a sound or stop the cursor blinking in texts.

ban the joystick or fix it i say
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-11-13 00:49
Quote:

On 2006-11-12 23:34:24, Daisun wrote:
Guys, turn the 'key sound' on and you will see that when the joystick appears to be unresponsive it still makes a sound. Now if this was a hardware problem why would the phone still make a sound when the joystick is pressed?

I had similar problems with the joystick with my k700. Something actually did happen when you moved the joystick, but not what you wanted, e.g, moving joystick down and it behaved like when it was pressed, thus, a key sound, but not the expected action. Still, this is definitely a hardware problem. I'm not convinced that it is caused by dust, the contacts and the switch inside the joystick may very well be broken or (as with my k700) worn-out.
Daisun
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-13 00:51
@maccad
Wat? that dun even make sense.. why would they make it so that the sound would play when the press wasn't long enough to register a movement? I'm not an expert but i do know how to program and making the sound and menu movements respond to seperate joystick movements is not only slightly harder but also illogical.

/edit i'm refering to the times when the key sound plays but the highlight in the menu doesn't move at all.

There are other times when sound doesn't play and the highlight doesn't move. I think there is both a hardware and firmware problem...

[ This Message was edited by: Daisun on 2006-11-13 00:01 ]
eLC
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-11-13 03:48
Come'on guys! Get real!

Switching the key sound on, does not prove anything else than that the joystick delivers input - NOT in which direction it does so!

Enter the service menu (right * left left * left *), chose service tests, and keyboard.
My guess is you'll see that the joystick delivers an left-down or right-down input when moving it down (if down is your problem).

The main menu and sms editor (amongst others) only accepts the excact direction (left/right/up/down), and not derivates (diagonals).
That's what's bugging your phones - and it is of course caused by dust! Which, by the way, might as well be from _inside_ the joystick due to mechanical wear.

The joystick is crappy quality!

-eLC
ThomasB
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-11-13 04:10
This issue was already brought some time ago !! After similar problems encountered with the K750, how come SE keeps repeating the same mistakes ?? Why not having a D-pad like the W810 ??
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-11-13 04:14
So much for the 'improved design'. SE really need to get their act together. I also, am never buying an SE with a joystick again. It's just too much hassle for expensive phones.
If you are going to have a joystick, make it sealed tightly! I can't see how it can be that hard. And the simple way out is to just put d-pads on everything.

Otherwise, I want to see a PSP joystick on an SE phone. That would be dust-resistant.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
chadiwrx
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-11-13 06:02
This is my last SE phone. I have had enough of this crappy joystick problems. First it was the K700 then the K750 & now K800. Thanks but no thanks SE. Never again.
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-13 09:57
Thats why I have gone back to using my S700, I have never had a problem with the d pad on that and its 2 years old.

My K750 joystick is stuffed now, it has got so bad that you can not send texts properly or make calls properly via the phone book.

I'm so glad I never rushed out and bought a K800 when it first came out.
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
aikelo
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 09:32
Mine also has problems with left and down movement
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 10:21
Quote:

On 2006-11-13 03:48:35, eLC wrote:

Enter the service menu (right * left left * left *), chose service tests, and keyboard.

Er, you need to use the joystick for those movements, right? If the joystick is broken, you can't. That's what was the problem with my K700.
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 18:41
The sound dosnt proove any input it just proves that you are moving the joystick left. The dust obviously prevents the joystick from responding movement wise.

It is a dust problem, but its annoying. If it was a firmware problem everyone would have this fault.
Rajjy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-16 13:34
Quote:

On 2006-11-14 18:41:36, Red_Rach wrote:
The sound dosnt prove any input it just proves that you are moving the joystick left. The dust obviously prevents the joystick from responding movement wise.

It is a dust problem, but its annoying. If it was a firmware problem everyone would have this fault.

YEAH!! YOU TELL 'EM RED_RACH!!!

We should form our own technical support team.
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-16 20:40
LOL

Something I have noticed is that the joystick works fine with certain games. Tennis for instance and Golf. Very weird indeed.

I think I'll try cleaning my joystick tonight anyway.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi