Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Help me choose!! SPV(now) or P800 (wait)

Author Help me choose!! SPV(now) or P800 (wait)
Eamonn
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-11-01 16:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Buy whateva pleases u....
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-01 16:07
i think p800 will have many bugs - if it is EVER released

This post was posted from a Nokia

mobiliano
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-01 16:10
Just buy the phone you like!

I think you would have more "phone" in your hand if you would buy
the Nokia 3650!

Greetings,

SK
ColorClub.nl
Looking for nice, cool screensavers for the T68m, T68i and T300? Look at this homepage: www.colorclub.nl (All for FREE!)
bingo
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-11-01 16:11
Quote:

On 2002-11-01 15:54, humanfly wrote:
nothing appears in a hollywood movie for nothing rite...

No, you are right... SE probably paid thousands to get it in the movie!
jb
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2002-11-01 18:42
Quote:

things in for example their MMS-implementation and suddenly it only works with M$ products. Or they change
some WAP stuff and suddenly certain wap-pages only works with M$ based phones. That's exactly what they have done so far on the desktop platform.

Right on spot; this will surely happen within five years. If you thought the browser-wars were annoying - wait until the phone-wars. Notice how it's always Open Standards against Microsoft?

And not only that; Microsoft does not "give a shit" of the technical quality of their softwares. They are *only* in it for the money. This means they are always in a hurry to release new things so there are always bugs in anything they make. Most of the work is put into making the GUI attractive. The fact that SPV has a faster CPU makes no F*ING difference - it's all being consumed running pointless buggy loops in the OS and to drain the battery. You can think of it as the phone-version of a "gas-guzzler".

Windows is unreliable and that is the essential reason that general public puts so little trust in computers. It's not because people at MS are stupid or anything such - that's just the way they manage their business. Domination and profits comes first - quality and reliability are secondary, at best.

Microsoft does not enter the phone-business to make things better or easier for the little guy. As phones will become increasingly integrated with the computer-world; in order to maintain their grip on the market they need to enter this market. In addition it gives them another platform to sell their "services" on.

This is a strategic decision to increase domination, and latch on to yet another market to suck money of its unsuspecting customers. No one at Microsoft came up with a good idea for a phone - it's all an ill-deviced plan and tech-wise, smartphone2002 is an over-night-wrapup.

Quote:

I don't like phones that are limited to a single operator either. That limits the future if one would like to switch

Well - their profits comes from selling services. I *bet* SPV is subsidised heavily by MS just as Xbox is. They claim it isn't but that's probably just BS.
Spacer
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-01 18:52
hmm without thinking p800!
why?

p800 is more phone then SPV in term of battery life and stability ...
i was spv test and no thank you p800 is already more usable.. and i can say there are more apps for symbian now then M$ stinger!
it will change in future but what the hack we live now.
Wait for p800 check if it realy suits you or wayt for new comunicator from nokia maybe?:)
DmX
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-11-01 19:16
Quote:

On 2002-11-01 15:24, orangeman wrote:
spv is way better than P800 - this would be my choice - i expect p800 will be pricey aswell

This post was posted from a Nokia

what does the spv have that the p800 doent have?
p800 have more and better stuff than the spv
and ur just saying this because ur using orange
skjalg
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-01 23:02
AND the p800 has BT!!!! cant live without bluetooth
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 03:08
dMx quote

what does the spv have that the p800 doent have?
p800 have more and better stuff than the spv
and ur just saying this because ur using orange

SPV is here for a start

check out tagtag.com/wapchimp

my T68 has just died

[ This Message was edited by: orangeman on 2002-11-02 02:09 ]
Spacer
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 08:09
>SPV is here for a start

For start and end:)) battery life of SPV is 0
its crashes. untested and unbranded! (orange is not established hone maker just GSM provider)
Ok lets be fair now u have to wait at least to see if spv will be stabile on network then maybe we might strat thinking about it as usable no-brand phone
[MDS]
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 08:27
still the spv is way more usable and it is here now, who knows when the p800 will be coming to town, who knows what the price will be, how can you say that spv crashesh, if you don't have sufficient info...how do you know that p800 will not be crashing frequently? a lot of crashes occur on t68i wich is by far less sophisticated, so using the same logic i conclude that p800 will be crashing more often...finally the battery life, is the minor factor on the big picture... it all comes down to ms being able to offer the best opportunities and capabilities for mobile phones with their sw. the phone clearly wins in the application sphere, personally i like the design more... but plain simple, it is smaller than a p800, better, and availible now... therefore, waiting for p800 seems to me as wrong conclusion...
www.mythstudios.com
Spacer
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 08:48
>if you don't have sufficient info...how do you know that p800 will not >be crashing frequently?
There has been several posts reviews saying so ..
check
>http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2481,5.html
SPV "features":
-no blue screen s just funny error messages
-Two other surprises I had were the general voice quality whilst in calls, which consistently appeared choppy on the receiving end, and also in voice notes. In fact, I tried recording a couple of long voice notes and ended up with choppy audio, entire phrases being cut
-I've had my fair share of experience with a Nokia 7650 and would have to say that it is more stable than the SPV

the result seems unpolished as a number of glitches - some minor, some major - are evident even after a relatively short period of testing. We'd recommend buying the Orange SPV - if you want a versatile phone, and don't mind the occasional glitch.

Regarding p800 test on www.p800.it they got tester contact from SE and they do confirm stability of p800
DmX
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-11-02 09:55
P800 is still better

MS is never better
look at PS2 its made by sony and its the best selling game console in the world
look at Xbox its made by MS the worst selling game console

im still going for the p800
nirius
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-02 12:13
OooooooW!! LongLive P800!!

This post was posted from a T68

MrSavoy
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-11-02 16:27
OMG some of you guys get your information out of a cracker jack box I swear. Heh, The p800 is/will be a great phone no doubt! But and theres always a but. The 800 is like double the price, so it should be a little better! You guys cant compare a 300-400 dollar phone to a 700-800 dollar phone. Yet the funny thign is besides BT and touch screen the SPV does all the same thimgs as the P800 nad it does it in a smaller and sleeker package. I love the P800 but if I am not overimpressed with it over MS smartphone, I can't justify the extra money I will be getting a smartphone in january.
Someone said MS OS's have made peopel think that computers are unreliable. I agree and disagree. A few years ago I would have said yes probably, but today with Windows XP I have to say I disagree. XP is a super kick ass OS and is stable as hell and runs everythign with ease. Yes I agree MS is out to make money and make alot of it and fast. Hell thats why I own that stock, Billy Gates knows how to make money and yes this mobile phone thing they are into now is just another avenue for them to dominate and so what!?!?!? All big companies are into it for the money. Bearing all this in mind I have no problem with MS making OS's for mobile devices and I think uou can't compare a Mobile OS to a computer OS. Also MS has learned that make a stable OS is as important as a good looking GUI.
#rg part apps for their devices will be hughe. The symbian OS has been around for a long time now and I don't think there is great 3rd party support for it.

So all in all the P800 will be awesome but, the MS smartphone I think is a better buy. Thats my take.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi