Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > nokia n95 - hsdpa, wifi, 5mp camera, gps at 90cc

Author nokia n95 - hsdpa, wifi, 5mp camera, gps at 90cc
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-26 21:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nokia N95 Video Preview [addsig]
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 21:35
It looks great!
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 21:46
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 19:22:20, darky wrote:
without a touch screen this device is doomed.

rofl....that's a ridiculous and very stupid statement....
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 22:50
the device is destined to success! hehehehe
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 01:32
Nice video, but the phone looks huge in the womans hands - and i mean BIG. It might just be an illusion or depth perception thing though..

@ Prom1 - First off, ive never owned a N80, but i had one for a week earlier this year not long after it came out. Starting on a full charge, i made the same average amount of calls i make each day. Sure, some days the amount of calls i make differ to others, but generally i spent about 1-2 hour(s) per day in total call time split between calls.

As for playing music, i never did that on the N80, i havent played music on my mobile phone(s) since i decided to buy a cd player for my car instead of using my phone + fm transmitter. Since i dont walk to work anymore, and ive started taking the car, i never get chance to even play mp3 files whilst on the move, and i certainly dont sit at home listening to them when i can play them on my hi-fi or pc.

Video call wise, i never made a single one on the N80 as far as i can remember. However, i did use 3G to access the internet rather heavily at the time, possibly for 1-2 hours per day.

Regarding wi-fi, i used it very little except for one day where i connected to a free access point for about 90 minutes.

So, all in all the N80 would last me a full day easily, and possibly the next until evening came when the battery meter would start to get low. Considering when i had the phone, i was playing with it none stop for much of the time, for many hours of the day. If you add up my call time, the amount of time i was playing around with the phone, and using 3G, i wasnt overly impressed by the battery life, but satisfied, it wasnt anywhere near as bad as people make out. Also, people make out that the phone has bad battery life because they used 3G to make video calls whilst connecting to Wlan to surf the web, whilst playing mp3 files, but then do people really do all that at once ? no wonder their phones literally eat batteries. So, i reckon the N80 had about the same battery life as my old K750i, and it had less than half the functionality of the N80.

Regarding the N93 - its a different beast altogether. The battery may only be 20mAh bigger in capacity (apparently), but the battery lasts twice as long as the N80's imo, its quite superb. I charge my N93 every 2 days, usually when the battery meter is at around 50%, if i dont charge it, it lasts me 3 days. Also, i use the phone many times more than i did the N80.

So, my assumption is the N80 has poorer battery life (but not bad battery life at all) simply because of its high definition screen, which the N93 and the new N95 do not have - they have QVGA screens.

Another point worth mentioning is many people who do not live in fully covered 3G areas, will have their phones drop the 3G signal. Where i live, mine does not, so the phone never has to search for a 3G signal when it loses it (because it does not lose it). This itself saves battery power, couple that with the fact i keep the connection manager in my N93 (and on the N80) off so that it never searches for a Wlan access point every 60 seconds also saves battery power.

Basically, the bottom line is, the N80 would last me a full day easily, 2 if i made fewer calls. The N93 will last me 3 days with ease. Im very much impressed by Nokia now, and i cannot remember the last time a SE handset lasted so long - and they never had 3G, wi-fi or other power hungry hardware / software inside the phone.

[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2006-09-27 00:35 ]
dalevil
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 01:39
Nice cool phone...... from nokia N95.....
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 02:00
Right. Just to clarify the battery issue - and this comes from someone who has played with one today:

Quote:
It is NOT the same battery as the N80. It's bigger than the battery from the 9300/6233 etc (BP-6M). In fact, it's a 1500mAh monster and not one used in any other device.

Saw it tonight. One word; Wow.

Looks promising then. Have got to say this device really captures my imagination.
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 02:17
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 21:46:56, jj03 wrote:
Quote:

no my statment states something, yours just shows how ignorant you are,
no keyboard / no touchscreen, obviously you haven't had a device with either.

All these connections and features seem useless without a touchscreen / keyboard, try surfing the web with t9 and the arrow keys, enjoy your life

gps and 5mp camera are a plus but let's see how the gps affects battery life and if the camera is true 5mp quality or just sized that way
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-27 02:35
I really do not like Nokia, but this phone got my attention. Maybe even to the point to switch and buy that instead of a P990.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-27 05:01
@etaab. Many thanks for that summary of usuage on BOTH the N80 & N93. Much appreciated & now puts it into focus. I live in Toronto in the downtown area, so WiFi is highly abundant and GSM providers (just two) dont offer PURE unlimited (or true unlimited, capped at 200MB then overage charges = pure rapage!) Because WiFI is so abundant I'd be able to use it over 1.5hrs daily just posting here & on other threads and streaming music (hopefully through YOUTUBE) and Wikipedia. I'm also listen to 1hr just one way to work for MP3 playback - as I do with my W810i. So for me I'd probably have an issue with battery power. I do about 2hrs of voice calls per day. Maybe but again on the N80 I wouldnt/couldnt use 3G here in Canada ... wrong band.

> darky, Not sure how your learning curve on S60 with T9 served you ... but for me on Class 6 EDGE on a 6620 I was doing pretty fine with xHTML on it surfing all kinds!

> SL33PYH34D; I missed whom posted that quote about a 1500mAh battery ... but if it SHIPS with it ITS MINE! Until SE comes out with something comperable or bettery. Double Sliding looks a bit loose in the Youtube video so I'm a bit worried about it but its cool. btw, it DID look HUGE in that girlies hand ... those hands I wouldnt hire for a bedroom job though ... to small; so N95 souldnt be too different in dimensions from the N80.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 05:48
Quote:
darky: All these connections and features seem useless without a touchscreen / keyboard, try surfing the web with t9 and the arrow keys, enjoy your life

Obviously you have not seen the new Nokia web browser in action.
To me a touchscreen is a burden. You always have to be careful with the LCD as it has no protection. And not to mention you have to use both hands to write. I can type faster using T9 than writing using touchscreen.

Quote:
gps and 5mp camera are a plus but let's see how the gps affects battery life and if the camera is true 5mp quality or just sized that way

Well, N95 has wifi/gps/music/5mp/dvd video rec/tv out in ONE device MUCH SMALLER and lighter than p990. What more can you ask for? No other phone on this planet packs so much. If battery can last a day with intensive use (using gps, wifi) then it is good enough. Another great point is the free GPS maps.

Even the P990 battery life is horrible using wifi (and not using) . I think the p990 would still be MORE EXPENSIVE than N95 when it comes out. That's a bummer. At this moment p990 is already obsoleted in spec. Unless SE pulls a rabbit out of the hat fast, it has already lost the tech race.

Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 09:32
Quote:

On 2006-09-27 02:17:54, darky wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

All these connections and features seem useless without a touchscreen / keyboard, try surfing the web with t9 and the arrow keys, enjoy your life

@darky: ok so all you want is a touch screen. Then go get one if not already and be happy with it. The majority of smart phone users is however not using any touchscreen and I dont think they feel any worse Even realized a touchscreen is itself not sufficient and they have to put a keyboard with it. is strategically stuck to their touchscreen and UIQ but they wouldnt do any worse if they adopted S60, on the contrary I believe that if they dumped UIQ they would do better.
miguel82
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 11:01
http://www.mobile-review.com/[....]6/nokia-openstudio-ny-en.shtml

N95 its a little big than N80 but with all that features who cares about that? The only problem maybe the battery life but if lasts more than a complete day with intensive use for me is fine and i go for it
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-27 11:23
Quote:

On 2006-09-27 02:17:54, darky wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, ive owned eight (now n73) nokia smartphones since 2001, so i think i am qualified to make a statement about it....you quote is ridiculous. i have also owned a p900/p910i, and i can't see why the device would be doomed without a touchscreen etc...furthermore, you gave no evidence regarding your statement, and generally, you are completely wrong...why would it be doomed? if your gonna make remarks that stupid, then at least back it up...

Of course, the n73 must be "doomed" too...as it isn't touchscreen...oh..hold on..it is selling well...

Generally, i don't use t9, so does that mean it will be unusable? erm...gee..let me think...no...as far as gps goes, it doesn't mean i have to use it because it's simply on the device does it? no..i didn't think so.

I managed perfectly fine with the n80 and it's web browser with out touchscreen/stylus, and i believe it will have the same browser (pretty much guarentee it actually) so i can't see that i would struggle...

Overall, i would say you have no valid point's at all. Try using at least some part of your brain before making random stupid comments eh...good man.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-27 13:06
Whats the difference b/w a high definition screen and QVGA screen?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic