Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > nokia n95 - hsdpa, wifi, 5mp camera, gps at 90cc

Author nokia n95 - hsdpa, wifi, 5mp camera, gps at 90cc
God2B
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 10:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.allaboutsymbian.co[....]a_N95-HSDPA_WiFi_5MP_Camer.php

Nokia is announcing today the Nokia N95, its newest S60 3rd Edition multimedia computer, or, as Nokia say, 'it is what computers have become'. The N95 features an innovative double slide design with multimedia controls and a keypad on opposite end of the phones. The N95 is Nokia's first HSDPA (3.5G) device, but also boasts Wi-Fi, WCDMA, quad-band GSM, Bluetooth (including A2DP), IrDA and USB 2.0 connectivity (via mini USB connector). Other hardware features include a 5 megapixel camera, a built in GPS, TV-Out, 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio, a MicroSD memory card slot and 150MB of internal memory. At 99mm x 20mm x 53mm (90cc), the N93 packs an impressively amount into a small space. Read on for full details and pictures.

In the hand the most impressive aspect of the device, given its feature set, is its size. Nokia have managed to add two major technologies to the Nseries line (GPS and HSDPA) while significantly reducing the volume of the device. In length and width dimensions it is larger that the other Nseries slider - the N80, but it is considerably thinner.

HSPDA is the next generationin cellular connectivity. The N95 is a category 6 HSPDA device which means it is up to 10 times faster that WCDMA (3G). Clearly HSDPA support is required at a network level, but many networks have already begun their testing or roll out periods. The faster connection speeds make downloading media (such as podcasts via the in built Podcast application) more palatable and should also improve latency/round trip times. Wi-Fi, WCDMA (3G) connectivity, together with quad band GSM and EDGE are also supported. Bluetooth 2.0, IrDA and USB make up the local connectivity options.

The 5.0 megapixel camera uses Carl Zeiss Optics with autofocus and digital zoom with a dedicated 2 stage capture button on the side of the phone. Video capture at near DVD quality is also supported. On the side of the device there are several buttons dedicated to camera usage. This allows the device to be held in a similar way to a traditional camera with the screen, in landscape mode, used as the view finder and the shutter button on bottom right hand side of the device (top right when phone is held horizontally). On the rear of the device, next to the camera is the slide switch, which is used to open the lens aperture and activate camera mode. Although it is difficult to judge the image quality at this stage the evidence we saw suggest that the N95 will be on of the most capable camera phones available.

A GPS is integrated into the device with anticipated accuracy of around 10m (satellite signal permitting). The devices will ship with an application called Maps which has global overview maps built in. More detailed maps (with coverage over more than 100 different countries available) can be downloaded for free from an online server. The detail available varies from country to country, but in many cases it is available down to street level. A point of interest (POI) database is also included. All the maps are available for free, as is basic route planning, but navigation functionality (with voice and on screen prompts) will be available as a pay-for add on. City Guides will also be available for purchase and other services are likely to be made available in the future. The mapping software and services is likely to based on technology from gate5, a company which Nokia recently announced it was acquiring.

Music playback is also a major focus of the device. The dedicated multimedia keys on the top flip of the device are primarily designed for music playback (although can also be used in other multimedia contexts). Wireless stereo sound output (via the A2DP Bluetooth profile) is also supported, and stereo audio output is also supported by the TV output feature and the on board stereo speakers. The music formats supported include MP3, AAC, AAC+ and WMA. Video playback on the QVGA screen is excellent and supported video formats include 3GP, Real Video and MP4 with support for the latest AVC codec.

The multimedia key now leads to a revamped application and multimedia shorcut view which now supports both a greater number of shortcuts (applications, multimedia files and bookmarks) and more flexible personalisation. As a result it is now a more generic shortcut key mechansim and offers an alternative to the standard application launcher.

The N95 uses S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 (Symbian 9.3) and as such includes version 2.0 of the open source Nokia web browser (supporting WML, XHTML and HTML in one browser), Flash Lite 2.0, FOTA (firmware over the air updates) and more.

The N95 uses the same small power port as other S60 3rd Edition devices, but the in-box charger is considerably smaller than the existing models (up to 60% smaller). The N95 has a 950 mAh battery, it is likely that the N95 will require a daily charge with moderate to heavy use, although 3-6 days may be possible with lighter use (dependent on network strength, type and other factors).

The N95 will be available in Q1 2007 and the approximate unsubsidised price is €550. Initially it will be available in the EMEA market. It will not be officially available in the US although gray imports are very likely.

Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 10:03
On my shopping list
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-26 10:24
The features look pretty impressive.
Liar liar pants on fire/ You burning up like David Koresh- Ghostface Killah
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-26 11:44
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 10:00:00, God2B wrote:

The N95 has a 950 mAh battery, it is likely that the N95 will require a daily charge with moderate to heavy use, although 3-6 days may be possible with lighter use (dependent on network strength, type and other factors).

WAS on my shopping list till I read the above. Another DEAD device that had the potential to be a legend amongst phones.

I hope SE can do one better.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 11:51
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 10:03:26, Jah wrote:
On my shopping list

Me too. Not normally a Nokia fan, but this looks like a very impressive device with pretty much everything you could want in one device - and importantly is running Symbian 9.3 with its HSDPA support and improved memory management.
Lets hope they have improved the build quality since the N80 and given it a high power battery.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-26 12:04
Did you not read the full info of the thread OP or in my post above regarding the battery.

I too think its an INCREDIBLE device .. but I learned from others mistakes regarding the N80's POOR battery performance.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 12:10
you'd have thought they'd have learn't by now...awesome device once again, but much like the n80, the battery lets it down...shame...they would have certainly have had my cash.
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 12:34
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 10:00:00, God2B wrote:

Nokia is announcing today the Nokia N95, its newest S60 3rd Edition multimedia computer, or, as Nokia say, 'it is what computers have become'.

That above is enough to put me off buying such a device, i will never ever go back to nokia...biggest mistake was leaving SE to go back to them but thanks to the 6680 and n80 which i both had...they put the final nail in the coffin for me when it comes to nokia. Nice phones but god awful implementation of features and im sure the n95 will be no exception.

Thanks but no thanks, id rather wait for SE to bring out a similar device....i wouldnt touch nokia if you paid me:D
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 12:40
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 12:04:37, Prom1 wrote:
Did you not read the full info of the thread OP or in my post above regarding the battery.

I too think its an INCREDIBLE device .. but I learned from others mistakes regarding the N80's POOR battery performance.

Note even released yet... and you're already speculating on the battery life?!?
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 13:10
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 12:04:37, Prom1 wrote:

Pretty dissappointing only being 950mAh, but I guess until the device is officially launched or available for review we won't really know for sure. It may be that Symbian 9.3 also brings with it further power efficiencies, or that Nokia has been able to improve battery life dramatically over the N80. The P990i has a 950mAh battery too, and whilst I think we all would have liked the higher capacity BST-34, I don't think the battery life is too bad (certainly nothing like N80 bad anyway), so I don't see why the N95 should be much worse.
sunnychad
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 13:15
NOKIA HAVE CANED IT...

Oh My God....

A friend has been going on about this handset since May 2006, now I know why. Shame we have to wait 6 more months to get it!!!

On the list too!!!
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 13:39
Seems like the N95 has 64MB or RAM - I wonder if Nokia and Symbian have now released more RAM for user apps under Symbian 9.3?
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 15:09
Quote:

On 2006-09-26 13:39:12, Jah wrote:
Seems like the N95 has 64MB or RAM - I wonder if Nokia and Symbian have now released more RAM for user apps under Symbian 9.3?

Possibly, but don't forget it will be running Symbian 9.3 with its "much improved" memory mangement.
QuickShare
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 15:32
with such a massive features fitted in a compact size.. the battery performance was my first consideration. Can't they just upgrade the battery first? btw it's a cool phone
My Flickr Site..
Flickr.com
Most Popular Newbie 2006
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-26 15:34
Nice specs,hope its smaller and cheaper than n93!
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic