Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P990 - The end of the line for the P series?

Previous  1234  Next
Author P990 - The end of the line for the P series?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 13:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
to be honest, we're going a bit off topic here. its not really about whether you will buy the P990, or you reasonf ro not doing so, or what else you might currently have as we've done all that in the main P990 discussion thread.

I was really looking for opinions about whether SE will continue this P series or move on to something else in this class.

Indeed, do we want more from the P series?

also, if we think they are going to continue with the P series what features are they likely to add, or will they simply reduce its size with the same features

just being curious
zoro25
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 14:01
Massuer your right,

The point I was trying to make although granted not very well is that the P990 is supposed to be a top of the line product.

When I brought my car it was the top of the range model that the manufactuer made. I would have been pissed if a lower spec model had more extra's and had better ride handling all at a reduced price.

Yet The P990 has lower specs than alot of other SE phones.
Is it still the flag ship model it once was?. I don't think so.
Would others here except a P1000 that didn't have jog dial and didn't have Querty or a slide/flip and not the normal half candy bar. (I don't count the small fip on the P series as a true flip phone).

I think and hope that if there is another SE P series that SE think outside the box and not keep to the same design to keep old customers happy.

A new model should be bold and different, not just a small upgrade.

It's either that or they might as well kill it off. And make a different series the flagship model.

z
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-19 14:30
Personally, I think change is good.

Things I believe SE will change:

1) P990i is the last in this P series, sure a UMTS for North America or just EDGE may come around but its done. Lack of luster sales will seriously have SE within 1.2yrs consider where their going with the smartphone business. This combined with 2 will have a future impact.

2) AT this present rate, Atima or whatever the company name is the ONLY other active Manufacturer making or planning on releasing new UIQ3 devices. Motorola backed out, or seriously looks that way. (they do trend to screw any1 they do business with). with the A1200 (I think the device with the clear flipscreen) is based on Linux+Java has great features, but I hate its design & menu implementation ... NOT intuitive.

3> I believe SE if their gonna stick with Symbian & UIQ3 it'll be a unified device in the M600 + WiFi "g". Currently even WiFi sucks a LOT of power from battery dependent devices, hence why MS PPC-PE devices have minimum 1000mAh battery's with 1300+ being the norm. Wi-Max dream ON unless a seriously new innovative battery technology debuts to make it worthwhile along with size of chipsets.

M600 is a great sized device and maybe an M900 will be its successor. saying the new PS3 & PSP is based on Linux doesnt guarantee the P990is successor will be those or unified devices targeted at a different market; but it increases Sony's experience in that realm. SE joined because Sony wasnt doing so well in the cellular space or manufacturing componentry.

I got a feeling January 2007 will be a HUGE announcement from SE.

SE's new policy should be NOT to announce or leak new phones UNLESS manufacturing & testing in full capacity begins 1 month prior to official press release!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 14:39
I really wish SE could pump out models in the fashion that Nokia does.

Too slow for the competition right now.... I'm looking for SE's answer to the N80...........

Personally I think the P series is gone... gone... gone...
iphone rocks...
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 16:12
Quote:

On 2006-08-19 14:39:44, REO wrote:
I really wish SE could pump out models in the fashion that Nokia does.

Really? One of the things I love about SE is that they do exactly the opposite.

Plus of course going down the Nokia route would hurt their profits short term too - SE currently make the sort of margin on their phones that Nokia can only dream about.
tindo196
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 16:35
the current version of SE p990 has room for expansion ie more megapixels 3-5,optical zoom,wifi g,hspda,edge,more user friendly browser ,might even consider making devices with Windows Mobiles,built-in tv tuner etc and increase its software range-so at least there is room for 2-3 p-range models and an improvement in battery life would be greatly appreciated
W_I_P
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 17:13
Quote:

On 2006-08-19 14:01:07, zoro25 wrote:

The point I was trying to make although granted not very well is that the P990 is supposed to be a top of the line product.

When I brought my car it was the top of the range model that the manufactuer made. I would have been pissed if a lower spec model had more extra's and had better ride handling all at a reduced price.

Yet The P990 has lower specs than alot of other SE phones.
Is it still the flag ship model it once was?. I don't think so.

I don't think this comparison is valid because a "top of the line" car will have the exact same issues the P990 has in your eyes.

Every car manufacturer has a top of the line sedan, top of the line SUV, top of the line coupe/sports car and so forth.

Are you going to get the same acceleration, handling of the coupe with the SUV ? No.

Are you going to get the off-road capability/seating capacity of the SUV with the Sedan ? No.

Are you going to get all the luxury and electronic goodies of the sedan with the coupe ? No.

The P990 is the top of the line business phone and is still a flagship product from SE, IMO.

Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 17:36
Quote:

On 2006-08-18 13:41:08, masseur wrote:
I'm wondering if the P990 will be the end of the line for the P series?

1.should we call it the P990iv2!

2.do you think P990 will be the end of the line for the P series?

1.maybe will announce it as p998 ( I Think like to put 8 on the last digit of type)

2. what about p1000?

Non Mihi,
Non Tibi,
Sed Nobis.
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-19 20:28
Looking just at statistics and the entire SE line. No current SE phone has four numbers in it's model#, so after 990 there is little room left.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Cyber-Jedi
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 21:15
Quote:

On 2006-08-19 20:28:59, Residentevil wrote:
Looking just at statistics and the entire SE line. No current SE phone has four numbers in it's model#, so after 990 there is little room left.

Naaa.. Mathimatically they could squeeze in 9 more...

But if the P series shall live I think there need to be more software available on the market...
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 21:19
Remember 'Q' follows 'P', and I for one would prefer a Q phones, perhaps a Q007

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-08-19 20:20 ]
P990_want_it
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 22:40
If the next one will be called PXXX or something else....does that really matter?
For sure is that SE will bring another flagship phone. Another cutting edge business phone. Hope not to soon though! hihi I would like to enjoy the P990 a bit longer.

It feels like there are quite a few competitors out there. Qtek (HTC), Nokia N series, Palm Treo, Ipaq, BenQ...etc.
But none of them really "tingled my bell" the same way that the P990 does.
It's a tough game that SE play in. Very small decisions can make or break a product.
To me, at least, SE have made almost all the right decisions.
Of course...you always want more. But hey....there has to be something to look forward to also!
//Mats
Timmmmy !!
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 22:58
I think SE would keep the P series going... for thier own profit margins mainly.

For example, how many people are still going to purchase the P990 even after it's year late release and out of date technology, I am still quite compelled to it I must admit.

If people were not so addicted to having the latest gadgets then SE would REALLY have to go back to the drawing board, but the reality is that we just can't do without having them.

I also think SE are very cleaver in how they release thier products, there will be at least one more P phone, as the P990 is just not quite up to scratch, which I'm sure the next P phone will cover, even then I still think it will be behind.

But after saying all of this I still want one
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-19 23:35
I agree with the software concerns. I am a fan forever.

Just recently I picked up a Nokia model (6682), I never thought I would own a Nokia ever again. The software for this phone is so abundant, I just went crazy went I first got it. Alot of it is free as well.

UI is the best IMO, if we could only get more software there would be no need to experiment outside of .

For now I am happy with my Nokia, however , I am waiting for that next SE killer phone. Let's go Turttle ...... Move your A$$
iphone rocks...
bard108
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-25 17:46
I am pretty worried now...
I have had a Nokia N70 for just under a year and I ordered my P990 and it should be with me any day now.

I have read very few professional reviews that have praised it, and now you guys are saying it's the end of the line for the P series.
I love gadgets, and I thought the P990 would be the best handset to keep dicovering stuff on (and it doesnt have the hellish Windows OS, but i am saying that after owning the original SPV).

Have I made a mistake in ordering it, or are you and other reviewers being harsh on the poor little (who am i kidding, its huge!!) P ?

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi