Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P990 - The end of the line for the P series?

1234  Next
Author P990 - The end of the line for the P series?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm wondering if the P990 will be the end of the line for the P series?

In real terms I feel that the P990 has taken two steps forward but also one step back.

With all the hype and delay surrounding the release of the P990, and the fact that it lacks certain latest technologies such as HSDPA and 802.11g I'm guessing one minor incarnation will be made available (should we call it the P990iv2!). However, I do feel the style, the flip, the whole device is now past its prime and the evolution of the M600 to include wifi etc is the way forward for the flagship business product line

do you think P990 will be the end of the line for the P series?
Johnex
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:43
Nope. It will always be the flagship of SE imo. It is a shame that it was delayed so much, i really though they would be ontop of their game from this model, but no.
Vipera ammodytes
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:45
Maybe! There is a indication of s60 v4 inside SE(info come from great source),in next smartphones, uiq is to complicated in development! And s60 v4 support touchscreen Cheers

This message was posted from a K750

sosojerk
T650 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:45
Could be.
I heard that Clie series might be the next lineup.
We will see anyway soon enough.
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:48
next generation of flagship phones should all include gps, touchscreen, wifi g and hopefully better cameras and native vga 640x480 resolution, more memory (ram) wouldn't hurt either
bixlix
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:49
Quote:

On 2006-08-18 13:41:08, masseur wrote:

With all the hype and delay surrounding the release of the P990, and the fact that it lacks certain latest technologies such as HSDPA and 802.11g I'm guessing one minor incarnation will be made available (should we call it the P990iv2!).

that's the main reason (for me) not getting the phone i'm concerned this might be true considering the way that sony thinks, for me (and sorry if i'm being a little rude) they dont respect us... but hey that's just me
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 13:49
I hope not that this isnt the final p series as i feel that they could possibly do another unit similar to the p990i but incorporate newer tech but with the way SE delayed the launch of the p990i. I think they were better off scrapping it and re-designing the p990i to have the latest tech ie 'G' WIFI and bigger internal memory.

But lets see what happens, im sure SE are going to be announcing a replacement for the p990i soon.
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 14:02
At Mobile-Review.com MR has said that an SE insider told him that SE were thinking of moving away from UIQ3. But this seems odd as UIQ is owned by Symbian and originated from Ericsson. There was a rumour (member Satsuma from the What Mobile forums) that SE had about anoher 6 UIQ devices under development. I think UIQ3/Symbian 9.1 must have caused people within SE to re-think cost/benefit of this platform given the delay with the P990. I think there is a chance of SE re-visiting their platform strategy as Sony did with PalmOS and also given that the PSP and MyLo both use a version of Linux. It is unlikely that SE would not use Symbian as it is technically very advanced (only real-time OS for Smartphones) but they may re-think the use of UIQ3 in the future.
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 14:09
first of all i have to say after k750i the designs have given a new look....the OS also in the mid range has a new look so all together they have done something new...but why? i dont understand that very well ...still a good change everybody accepted... good new technologies they came out like cyber shot in a cell phone.. and misc...

they corrected themself with small features like to select all and then send to a device via bt, and also a major one can select a ringtone for message....accepted by everyone!!!

but what went wrong with P series ? i totally agree its not one of the best cell phone in P series to be honest i regret i sold my p910i cause i think i like the p910i more than p990i...

UIQ 2.0 was good to use was fun to use...while when i surfed uiq 3.0 in my frd's cell m600i.. i dont like to use it..!! i miss the chess game...the solitaire game which i use to play everyday in my p910i , forget the games... i miss that 5-way jog dial...and...secondly..the jog dial is so small..oh cmon m really disappointed with the jog dial thing..!!!

i miss everything of p910i, to be honest i liked the keypad also..of p910i.. it wasnt so comfortable but when u needed u cud use it properly ... ok i m commenting a lot...but still i can be wrong cause i havnt even touched p990i but i didnt like UIQ 3.0....m not dat happy with the OS... ders task manager ders menu...but..no option to switch off the task manager , i personally dont like task manager..!!...

any which ways i always prefer to buy SE and so definately m goin to buy p990i but all my hopes are on applications now... the 3rd party i hope they make me feel betta
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 14:30
I think everyone going on about 802.11g wifi is nonsense! The P990 should have come with WiMax! Then it would have been a great device!
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 14:39
wimax is great, and its what I'm getting for my broadband on return to Sydney in a couple of months as its widely available there, but as I understand it, it draws far too much power to be implemented in a phone just yet
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 14:52
the problem with the p990 isn't the design 'it's nice' even with the jog dila and keyboard it's still a 'fresh look'

nor is it the wifi g 'I couldn't care any less as the browsing is barley noticable on a device like it, it doens't have the processing power to make a subtle difference'

the problem is uiq3 is technicaly flawed to begin with, the forced signing doesn't help either, they should've stuck with uiq2 till they got it right or just moved to wm5 as it's finally stable.
Scorchio
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 15:02
It's a bit like Mercedes....

Stay with me...

The E Class is the perfect business tool. It has very thing you need. It's Practical, not too expensive to run and looks very well.

The S Class is for people who want EVERYTHING! Its not AS practical and it's much more expensive.

The P series is an S Class. Sure its bulky but it compromises on almost nothing.

There will always be a place on the market for this, but perhaps we are going to see a change to the way it looks!
The car in front is absolutely unique apart from the one behind it which is exactly the same. Murray Walker
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-18 15:28
I hope not. I like the P-series despite is flaws. OK it is big, ok it has it's fair share of fw trouble, ok it was delayed.
It is like a computer. big, flawed, but ppl love it anyway.
I like the P-series and I hope there will be many successors to it.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
tindo196
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-08-18 16:04
Well i hope its not the end of the p series there is still more stuff they can do to improve the phone as our friends from HTC have shown in such a short time,the main concern is whether SE has the will or motivation to continue with the p range as its share of the market is constantly being cut to its either as a result of competition from fellow symbian manufacturer,nokia whose products are constantly bridging the gap btwn smartphones on uiq and those on s60 ,to make it worse WM seem to be taking its fair share as well -though with good reason if SE want to bring out a pxxx smartphone once every 2-3years then they should not be surprised to find their share of the market significantly reduced as the opposition is bringing out 2-3 models a year in the same segment ps now lets wait for HTC Trinity

[ This Message was edited by: tindo196 on 2006-08-18 15:21 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi