Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > I am so angry at Sony Ericsson (service) right now.

Previous  12
Author I am so angry at Sony Ericsson (service) right now.
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-09 06:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2006-08-08 18:52:49, nhs03 wrote:
after reading your thread i am F'N terrified to send my k750! My K also went thru the whole white screen flashing, I called SE and they recommended to update FW but i did so and no change. When you sent your phone to get serviced, did they delete all the stuff that was on it? e.g. pics, contacts? Any info will help and sorry to hear about ur dilemma

It really depends on the phone. FW upgrades on the S710a and earlier models wiped out just about anything added/altered by the user. The newer phones keep this data in tact through the FW upgrade.

As for my W810i, I may be getting a new one - I don't want to say any more right now, lest I count this chicken before it's hatched!
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-09 10:38
I would say it depend of the kind of upgrade whether the user data remains or not. If the firmware update is a big one, or, for example, you upgrade a k750 with w800 firmware, the data structures and memory allocations used by the previous firmware does not map at all on the new firmware, and thus, the contents will be lost. Surely, the ones who create the upgrade packets at SE take this in account and do what they can to preserve the user data. Anoter method, which surely should be used at a service center, is to first backup the user data, then upgrade the firmware and then restore the user data after converting it to the new format.
nhs03
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-09 22:13
ok thanks for the replies! I hope that they go by the book! and wish me luck also!
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 00:34
Quote:

On 2006-08-09 22:13:43, nhs03 wrote:
ok thanks for the replies! I hope that they go by the book! and wish me luck also!

It's never a bad idea to make a backup yourself of all your contents in the phone before sending it away. Even though they don't destroy the contents at the service center, the phone may disappear on the way there or on the way back home.

There are several ways to create backups. You can synchronize the calendar and address book with outlook on your PC, connect the USB cable and make a copy of everything, copy everything to a memory stick, which you detach before sending the phone away, using various phone communication softwares available from 3rd party, etc. It's very difficult to backup installed games and programs though, unless you are familiar with very advanced phone manipulation software (like FAR)
simply__me
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 02:22
@nhs03

and.. you could use MyPhoneExplorer to save your sms's and whatnot to your PC. When I took my k750i in to a service centre, all the messages were deleted. I saved them, but I accidentally overwrit them in the program (silly me, shouldve did my research first). SO yeah.. good luck.
Simon N
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 03:17
I know someoen may have thought of this but you sure it couldnt have beent he postal service who opened the mail.

SIM card theft is a large scale problem these days and its somethign that is entirely possible.
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-10 16:52
At last, the light at the end of the tunnel, and the restoration of my faith in Sony Ericsson!

Updates

1) A supervisor at PTS Electronics ( USA's repair center) called me the other day. She very apologetically admitted fault (in their words, "we screwed up") in the first turn-around of my W810i. They've now shipped a brand new replacement W810i to me, while they investigate why my first one was not only unnecessarily disassembled, but shipped back to me as such.

2) After sending a nasty (but professional) letter to USA headquarters, someone from their corporate-level Customer Support office called me today. She, too, was most apologetic about this whole mess. Apparently, is in the process of changing repair centers, which somehow caused this incident and blinded to it. will also look into the call logs for my case, as this should have been automatically escalated to the corporate level.

will now provide me the tracking info for my replacement W810, and are ready to ship another one to me in case there's some problem with the one I'm awaiting. Although they can't reimburse me for my shipping costs, they are compensating me appropriately for my trouble. (I can't/don't want to go into further detail on that last part.)

Recommendations

If any of you should run into a similar situation, I suggest the following steps. I make no claim as to the validity of these statements; these are merely my experiences and observations.

I will state the importance of remaining calm, collected, and professional - yelling, screaming, and using profanity will get you nowhere. Also be sure to thank whomever you speak with for their time and assistance - like the saying goes, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

1) Always call Customer Support first. Although the phone reps don't have much authority or knowledge, they do log every call. Don't bother with the web-form E-mail on the web site; at best you'll get a weakly apologetic form response.

2) If you're in the US, call PTS Electronics directly: 812-824-9331. Ask to speak with a supervisor and have your RMA handy.

3) Finally, send a letter with a description and documentation (if any) to:

Customer Support
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications (USA) Inc.
7001 Development Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
USA

Meanwhile, I await my replacement W810i
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-11 06:58
Got my W810i at long last and all is well. Interestingly, it still has the SE Asia firmware (based on the language choices), even though this is a new phone sent from/to America

In an odd coincidence, I also received today the T637 I bought off eBay as my backup phone. I had no idea it was such a handsome little unit! It's off to iUnlock.com to have Cingular's branding removed

Christmas came early

[ This Message was edited by: Hlcn Twst on 2006-08-11 21:11 ]
xan K
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 07:17
I'm really glad for you that everything turned out just fine.
Gigs
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-11 07:43
Or to save alot of writing, if an SE rep isn't helping, why not ask to speak to their manager and find out what their escalation proceedure is?

TBH from working in Call Centers, if you go over a standard reps head and get things clarified after they say they can't help you, you may find there are more options than you know.

jingboyx
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 08:06
thats gr8 news buddy.... I am glad SE could somehow make up to their rep. Btw, do u mind posting some pics of the packing this time !!

[ This Message was edited by: jingboyx on 2006-08-11 07:12 ]
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-11 16:28
Gigs, how do get past the first line of telephone support reps? Also, note from my earlier post that in my case, there was a failure in the escalation process, leading my having to directly contact both the repair center and the USA corporate office.

jingboyx, unfortunately, the packing was just as pathetic as before However, I have not found a single speck of cosmetic damage on my new phone
Sir Ice
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2006-08-12 03:27
He he I can understand you quite well !
Got a W800i which didn't hold the bluetooth connection with any headset, including HBH610a. The SE e-mail support were quite polite but otherwise useless. Their suggestions were to repairs the phone and headset and update the firmware when that didn't work. Oh, and they gave these suggestions only after I purchased a third headset, the HBH610a.
And I realized that the phone was defective when I sold one of the headsets to a colleage at work, losing some money of course, and his K750i works very well and stable with the headset. Then I got my W800i stolen in the bus, which sucks, but I had made recently a back-up of the phone and I purchased the same day another W800i which f* up my budget. And the new W800i works flawlessly with the HBH610a.
I was just waitng to get this month's paycheck to go at a SE service and have them check what exactly is wrong, pay for it 'cause the phone was bought in another country, and the have somebody's head on a platter for their uselessness.
There are more things in Heaven and on Earth than we will ever know!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi