Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P990 vs HTC TyTn

Previous  123 ... 495051  Next
Author P990 vs HTC TyTn
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 21:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm not too keen on WM5 after owning a JasJar & XDA Exec, but I have point out that the TyTn has the following the P990i does not:

- HSDPA (even though WM5 needs an update to make use of this)
- 802.11g

For those that have a TyTn please could you tell us:

- after using PIE and say the camera app how much RAM do you have
- how much user memory do you have in a virgin device

Also is it the case that the MicroSD is limited to 2GB since I believe the P990's Duo Pro can go as high as 8GB. Also the price of Duo Pro 2GB cards are similar in price to MicroSD I believe

Join the 'dots' and see what happens
joel80
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 22:25
Quote:

On 2006-08-03 17:40:26, fapapucs wrote:
Another point to make perhaps. One of the software available for WM5 / TyTn is Skype/VoiP support. I've got another few weeks before I have to make up my mind. I'll probably wait until both are out and will check look and feel prior to purchasing either of those.

Give it a month or two and I think we will se some form of skype-version for symbian and p990. Skype has talked about this if I doesn't remember totaly wrong...

Please confirm or correct me...

//Joel
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 22:30
I dunno how I missed that

TyTN does use microSD, not the miniSD that I was sure I read

what are they thinking? The one dissapointment I had with the k-jam after the original jam was the change down size from standard SD to miniSD... and now they have done it again

thats a negative for me and a bad move from HTC IMHO!
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 22:31
@masseur, the reason I said 'MicroSD' because expansys.com and mobileburn.com both mentioned MicroSD. Please confirm (sorry!) that its not MicroSD
spine6
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 22:35
skype is now discussing in working with the p990i. i've read it in some wesite that sooner they will introduced with sonyericsson phones with wifi(as of now the p990i is the first wifi phone from sonyericsson)
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 22:37
yes, its microSD. I've just flicked around a few reviews to confirm.

because I assumed it continued to use miniSD I must have just read it that way before.

strange how the mind works...

well anyway, thats thrown a small spanner in the works and I'll have to think about that a bit as I already have a 4gb PRO duo but only a 1gb transflash
kiriakos
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-03 22:46
joel you are from sweden so you can check this out
http://www.nyteknik.se/art/44660
efjay
P800
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 01:09
Consider this also: the TyTN has a few more connectivity options than the P990:

Wifi g
Tri-band UMTS works both in the US and Europe
HSDPA is working in the TyTN (posted by Cingular users on Howardforums, achieving speeds up to 1000K) and wont require any kind of update from operators.
It is Quad band GSM - use anywhere in the world (useful point when trying to sell)
Includes Edge

Some of these things wont mean a lot to you depending on where you are or how you might use the device. But if they do you can have them now with the TyTN rather than getting the P990 and then having to upgrade your device again to get those features.

There is also a wealth of applications and a lot of them are freeware which enable you to customise the phone or add features that may be lacking.

The downside is WM devices are not the most fully featured in the phone features department but they still work pretty well.

The P990 will be a solid phone/pda device with a better GUI when navigating and using the device, I'm sure. The question is will the lacking features compared to the TyTN be missed. If not the P990 will be the better choice.

I suggest you try the Windows Mobile forums as well to get a feeling of how the device is doing from those who already have the device. Some of the points raised here have already been answered.

2GB microSD cards has been announced by Sandisk. Should be available pretty soon. Enjoy whatever you get.
teedeecee
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 04:15
Quote:

On 2006-08-03 21:02:46, agf412 wrote:
I've got the Orange version of the Jasjar & I hate it, you have to reset every other week, the alarm doesn't always work.

these issues are just the beginning, the PocketPC OS offers a great array of solutions, but for serious work, i can simply not rely on it. Shame really as it could be quite wonderful.

Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 08:12
Quote:

On 2006-08-04 01:09:17, efjay wrote:

HSDPA is working in the TyTN (posted by Cingular users on Howardforums, achieving speeds up to 1000K) and wont require any kind of update from operators.

This is a big advantage of the TyTN, it can use UMTS in Euroland and USA.
MR
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 09:48
I have used both and the TyTN just left our offices.

TyTN:

+ WM device with all his possiblities and better agenda, tasks and notes system
+ Keyboard more easily to use
+ Better video resolution
+ Scroll key extra

- Less specs, no radio, no great MP3 player
- Worse camera than P990i
- Uses MicroSD memory cards
- Flash useless
- Screen not so good, only 65536 colors unreadable in the sun
- Only touchscreen no flip closed modus

P990i:

+ Better multimedia device
+ Better cam
+ More accesories in the package
+ More accesories available from SE
+ Much better screen than TyTN
+ Better one-handed device than TyTN

- No easy direct connection with ActiveSync
- No HSDPA, but where do you need that at this moment in Europe
- Keyboard less easy to use

Size is comparable, so is the weigth. BUg and issues occur on both. I have had bugs on the P990i and on the TyTN.

MR

[ This Message was edited by: MR on 2006-08-04 08:50 ]
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 09:55
Thanks MR but what about the phone quality? Ability to receive and make calls, wake-up on incoming calls and quality of the BT signal? Any information on RAM available for user app and user memory?
adhussain
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 09:55
I had the jam and it was a nightmare, the device would just need an excuse to hang & required 5 resets on an average day. WM5 is probably more of the same. UIQ3.0 has become stable, at least on the M600, and SE have been pretty responsive in ironing out the issues and im sure if there are issues with the P990 they will also be sorted out in no time.

There's just no comparison of the speaker quality on the two devices, the P series has been far superior, with the Jam the sound was shrill and would hurt the ear if turned up even a bit loud. For everyday use the P seiries was far superior.

The Pda functions of the Jam though were outstanding. UIQ has pretty comprehensive PDA functions but they are not at par with the JAM. The range of software titles available for windows devices is excellent while on the other hand there are hardly any software titles yet for the UIQ 3.0, but that's to be expected since it's so recent and given time developers will eventually come up with applications but i'm guessing that the range titles would be no way near that of the WM5 titles.

The decision of which device to get eventually boils down to this:
If you want a PDA with a built in phone Go for the WM5 device. If you want a phone with Pda functionality then definetly go for the P990.

[ This Message was edited by: adhussain on 2006-08-04 09:10 ]
cam1701
P800
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 12:50
All I can say is that I used the M600 for a couple of weeks and it was a good phone with just a few quirks that made it hard to use and I hope the P990 is much better.

I now have the TyTN and its certainly the best PDA phone at the moment. Speaker quality is still poor compared to the P990 and the screen is not as good as the SE phone. But for use with exchange server with attachments its very good indeed. Someone in my office is waiting for his P990 so hopefully next week can show some pictures.

I agree with whats been said before that the P990 is a phone with PDA functions and the TyTN is a PDA that you can use as a phone. Like everything it just depends what you want to use it for.
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-04 16:36
UK Prices

Noticed that both the P990 and HTC TyTN are a little cheaper at mobilefun.co.uk then at expansys.com but no info on the availability of the P990
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 495051  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic