Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > completely dead K800

Previous  1234  Next
Author completely dead K800
darth.paul
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-08 21:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've emailed their o2 at CPW cust service dept, and advised them I want the problem sorted in 24 hours or to canx the contract as they've sold me goods not fit for their purpose. Just wait and see......

And you're dead right ac, this white screen of death really is completely unacceptable. It's not a silly little bug, it's a major malfunction.

SE need to sort their quality control out. I've had SE phones since the T68i, but my experiences with the W900 and now the K800 white screen means I'll be looking at, God forbid, Nokia or Moto next year

[ This Message was edited by: darth.paul on 2006-08-08 20:27 ]
lightray
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 15:06
My brand new K800 died last night after less than 6 hours!!!

I powered it down, then tried to turn it back on again 10 mins later and nothing, just a dead handset. Only minimal sign of life is a small red light inside the InfraRed port when I press the on button for the handset.

Damn, what is it with the K800, all these dead handsets!
I had a k750 for a year, that was almost trouble free - apart from the terrible dust collection device called a "joystick". Had to have mine cleaned twice.

I love the handsets and the menus, etc., but I'm really starting to consider Samsung D900 or even god forbid a Nokia N73!
I'll be going in to the O2 store tomorrow for a swap.

BTW - are all the dead handsets from O2? Is there a pattern emerging?

S.

Update:
Just to clarify, the K800i had been working fine earlier in the day. I had not installed anything at all in it. It was brand new from O2.
I tried out the camera, some of the games, stuff like that.
I was using a normal non-3G SIM because O2 had run out of the 3G sims and were due to give me one next week.
I used the standard/original charger delivered with the phone.
The mobile seemed fine. I turned it off. Took the battery out for a minute or so. Put the battery back in and then turned phone on. It never restarted. The screen stays black (not white).

Did anyone else have any similarities, e.g. are all the bad phones from O2? Did you all have a non-3G sim card?

[ This Message was edited by: lightray on 2006-08-20 21:13 ]
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 15:54
Hehe looks like my k800i has fallen down with the same problems in here, its been getting slower and slower and suffered a few white screen of deaths. But last night, went to take out my sim card to put in my p990i and put another sim in the k800i. Pressed the power button and it just wouldnt turn on. So took out battery and left it for a few few mins but again nothing. When i plugged the phone into the charger which was connected to the mains, i found the infra red sensor light blinking on and off but yet no sign of life.
Which is freaking great as i had quite a few text messages that i needed to keep and now i cant turn the phone to try and recover them.

Anyways emailed the guy i bought it from on ebay and he told me to try and plug it in the charger when plugged into the mains but i just emailed him to tell him that no it doesnt work.
Shame really as i really liked this phone for the camera capability, im just hoping that the guy i bought it from exchanges it for a brand new model asap.
Maffu
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 16:34
So, has anyone got charts for the chances of getting a faulty K800?? I wouldn't mind knowing how often people get K800/K790s that don't start or have major defects/problems xD
aikelo
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 20:21
My k800i died yesterday. white display, tried to restart but nothing happens.
zkool448
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 21:27
Is it possible to avoid this mishap if we knew of any commonalities between the users who have experienced the 'death' of their k800?

This is not to blame the users but just trying to find out if we can determine the cause aside from an obvious manufacturing defect. What were you doing? some examples: Flashed firmware with wotan, installed/played untested Java apps/games/utilities (ex. torch for K800), using aftermarket chargers, using 512mb M2 vs 1GB or vice versa, etc.

______
aikelo
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-08-21 10:00
mine was unbranded and no hacks of anykind. When downloading an mms, white screen of death hit my k800. Trie
d to restart but itīs been dead since then. My friends k800 died when he was in the middle of a call. He will not get a new one, until the realese a new firmware.

[ This Message was edited by: aikelo on 2006-08-21 11:30 ]
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-23 15:39
Well this morning i received my new k800i and im hoping this one will not break like my last one. So far so good though, although i still have the broken one sitting in my room...i guess the guys i bought it from dont want it back so will send it off to a SE repair centre and get them to fix it then possibly sell it for a bit of a profit
eBopBob
C905 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-23 16:01
I must say that this sounds quite worrying. It would certainly seem as if SE should have delayed the release of the K800i by another month or two at least to sort out all of these problems.
- Phones for professionals
rubberducko
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-23 16:01
Quote:

On 2006-08-20 21:27:40, zkool448 wrote:
Is it possible to avoid this mishap if we knew of any commonalities between the users who have experienced the 'death' of their k800?

This is not to blame the users but just trying to find out if we can determine the cause aside from an obvious manufacturing defect. What were you doing? some examples: Flashed firmware with wotan, installed/played untested Java apps/games/utilities (ex. torch for K800), using aftermarket chargers, using 512mb M2 vs 1GB or vice versa, etc.

Yes well, mine "died" after turning the phone off after installing Opera Mini which caused a java fault, it did turn itself on though, but some days later it died again, and this it was fatal, so I sent it back to the shop, now im waiting for my second K800i...
E-Demon
W880 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-23 16:07
Mine died last week...pressing the power button just made the IR LED blink 5 times, nothing more. It's in repair with CPW right now, hopefully I'll have it back next week, I've been reduced to a nokia 1101 right now, it's depressing.
hansen
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-23 16:30
Quote:

On 2006-08-08 19:25:22, darth.paul wrote:
Here's another dead K800i. White Screen of Death while updating RSS feeds.

Same thing happened to me in same situation. Phone froze for hours, showing white screen/normal screen but totally unresponsive/doing spontaneous restarts. It eventually recovered though and went back to normal. I haven't touched RSS since that, and won't try to again until a firmware update has been released.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-23 16:30
I turned mine off took out the battery and changed the sim and it refused to turn on.

This message was posted from a WAP device

Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-23 16:50
Quote:

On 2006-08-23 16:30:29, jcwhite_uk wrote:
I turned mine off took out the battery and changed the sim and it refused to turn on.

This message was posted from a WAP device

Which is what exactly happened to my other k800i, just hope it doesnt happen with this one. Love the phone but if its going to die every so often then i cant see the point of having one to be honest.
Paul_s
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-23 18:35
I had a similar problem - woke up one morning to see the white screen of death, and every time i tried to turn it on after taking the battery out it re-appeared.

I ended up leaving the thing on for a day, until it went off, then left it plugged in overnight and it worked fine....

But,every time i go into the games or applications folder it says "empty folder" - there were definitely things in there and i thought that the pre-installed apps you couldn't delete? I don't know why it's happened! Does anyone have a link for the games and apps that came pre-installed on the phone bya any chance, or even a solution to regain then?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi