Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Earnings Preview: Sony Ericsson 2Q Pretax Pft Seen +83%

Author Earnings Preview: Sony Ericsson 2Q Pretax Pft Seen +83%
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-14 10:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson eyes more phone market share -report

HELSINKI, July 14 (Reuters) - Sony Ericsson is aiming for a bigger share of the global handset market, boosted by Walkman music phones and new cheaper models, but will still focus on profits, a top official said in remarks published on Friday.

"Our main priority this year is to further grow our market share and the time is right for growth," Sony Ericsson executive vice president Jan Wareby told Finnish business daily Kauppalehti.

"We plan to bring to market more cheaper mass-market phones. However, we aim to take more of the market not at the expense of profits," Wareby said.

The handset maker, owned by Japan's Sony (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and Sweden's Ericsson (ERICb.ST: Quote, Profile, Research), reported record quarterly earnings on Thursday and raised its forecast for global market growth.

Sales of cellphones that can store and play music are climbing, raising hopes among handset producers that such models will be their next growth driver after phones with cameras flooded onto the market a few years ago.

"In music phones the growth has now seriously only started," Wareby said.

"Demand for Walkman phones has been strong and their share was 25 percent of all phones we sold in the second quarter. Music will be extremely important growth driver for us," Wareby was quoted as saying.

This means the company sold almost 4 million Walkman phones in April-June quarter, compared with about 3 million in the first six months after the line-up was launched last year.

Sony Ericsson's larger rival Nokia (NOK1V.HE: Quote, Profile, Research) has pointed to recent success with its 3250 music phone, saying it has sold more than 1 million since launching the model in March 2006.

Lots more on the way it seems. It has 25% of the musicphone market.
And wants more. This, before the W850 and W950 have hit the stores!

The "growth in musicphones has only just started" statement scares me.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-07-14 09:10 ]
Matteus
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-14 15:48
SE shall douple or triple it's global market share after some quartals and Nokia will sink astonishing quickly because of their Sanyo battery with 1 hour capacity. Elephant with wings of a butterfly as mobile-review commented N80 in the recent review.

This message was posted from a Z1010

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-17 09:28
Well I think it will be firing on all cylinders if the :cbs: range does well commercially.

It will want to apply the formula to the new :cbs: range.

Then it is my guess that MobileTV will be the next cash-cow for them, although I think it may be a niche market for quite a couple of years.

Phone blogging (or phlogging) could be something they could develop over the next year or so. Its a good feature and a good move by Its made me think about getting a K800i when previously I was willing to pass it over, and there must be others like me.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi