Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > New Walkman phone to be announced - W880i or W910i

Author New Walkman phone to be announced - W880i or W910i
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-08 13:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
if SE chooses its green right, it could sell. i just hope they chose the green of their logo. maby abit mettalic look to shock people
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-07-09 04:40
I think that the fluro colours will appeal to the youth market. Remember the PEBL?
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 01:34
We haven't been told or invited to anything, so I wonder how big this product will be if it comes in the next week or so?

SE will announce a few things without a big song and dance throughout the year, but they're usually not groundbreaking (like the K800 for example). Either that or the fact that there are now about 200 Walkman phones to choose from, they're starting to find it difficult to attract the journalists!
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 01:54
if a company wants to attract journalist then they need to bring something special. i agree, but why on earth are the always reporters when samsung introduces something? why journalist??? fashion designers yes, but thats where it should end.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 09:38
Well TBH, journalists don't do much to sell phones. TV ads sell phones, and then word of mouth, like the RAZR. That's why there has to be something different with the new phones (like the green colour). In my opinion, SE needs to do something to stick out, such as promoting the red K610. Motorola does it with RAZRs, Nokia makes weird phones and LG makes the chocolate.

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 11:52
Well, I'm clearly biased, but journalists are deemed to be very valuable. The press, including ourselves who got the exclusive, bigged up the V3 ahead of its release - and got everyone talking about it before it went on sale.

Companies need to get the press onboard, and obviously that goes beyond the likes of our publication - to the fashion magazines, lifestyle mags, mens mags, gadget mags and perhaps the biggest coverage at all - TV and national newspapers. If you rely on advertising, it gets very expensive. Word of mouth often comes from people reading a review, thinking it's cool and passing the word on - not seeing an advert and buying solely from that. Advertising is good for brand awareness, but the media tells you what's really cool and not cool.

If they don't invite the press along, then it's probably a low-key launch and not anything for us to get massively excited about.

I might be wrong though, of course! Sometimes they don't do a launch and come and visit us with a bag of new toys to play with (!). I suspect Sony Ericsson are in a situation now where some of the press will be quite critical of another new Walkman phone. At the last launch, people were already asking if it was sustainable to have so many in such a short time.
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 12:11
I too am beginning to believe that they seem to have taken the success of phones a bit too far.

I think they should release the W950 and let that be the last and concentrate on something else.

What happened to the poor P990i announced late 2005, originally expected to make to the shelves in March. Now expected August?!

shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 12:21
@goldenface
As much as SE are overusing there is certainly more to come. It seems like they want to target ALL market segments. They've got the youth with the W550/W300, the sporty with the W710, the smartphone people with the W950 etc. They still haven't got a direct competitor to the N91 and the W550 doesn't fill the mid-range well enough.

And remember market segmentation? The end of true all rounder phones, and the P990 is probably not at the forefront of their mind because it's part of some of the last allrounders, which is a shame. It was announced far too early because of leaks.And the end result of market segmentation will leave autofocus with Cybershots, decent media players with , good video with the rumoured Handycams, generics with the low to mid range, good design to fashion, smartphonephone features with the P series.

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 12:39
the W800i, W810, W700 and w850 do a good job of filling the mid range, wouldn't you say?
(An)Dante
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 12:43
goldenface:
In case of feature set, yes they are. In case of price range no, they aren't. The mid segment is much more price sensitive. Even the W300i has horrible price, what's far beyond the acceptable price level for such phone.

[ This Message was edited by: (An)Dante on 2006-07-10 11:44 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 12:53
@an (dante)

So, not including the W900i, W850 the current crop of are mid-low end?

I'm hoping the next has a more imaginative form-factor, something like the w31s.

I remember when the 1st phone was rumoured, I was a little disappointed to discover that it was just a rebadged K750i.
dr_thug
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 15:25
no pic leaks till now??damn either there is no such phone or SE are guarding it well...

btw,i too belive that they released way too much phones.and the new K510,K310 and the many J series etc aint no big releases...just some old technology in ugly designs for upcoming (read:3rd world) countries like mine.
(An)Dante
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 16:00
@goldenface
Yes, they are! Look at the high-end phones form the competitors:
  • Nokia uses 240x320 pixels display in the mid-high range, is still dealing with 176x220 or even lower..
  • Nokia has introduced 3G data for mid-range
  • Nokia is pushing WiFi in high-end phones. There's no such neither any
  • Nokia and Samsung has TV-OUT in several models
  • Nokia and Samsung defines CIF video as default in mid-high range
  • Samsung has great office file handling in all mid-high phones while Nokia has Series 60 phones for low-price

The low-end W300i walkman has horrible price tag close to the W800i. The W700i is more expensive compared to the W800i and has no Stereo BT support. How come that not all the uses stereo BT?! Small price differences huge specification leaks.

I hope that will finally introduce a with exclusive design and exclusive materials not just these orange plastic brick monsters. Just check out the flagship Walkman, the W950i: 4 GB and great screen packed in an ugly pastic brick. Yearning for better materials and better design.

The great features and well-designed, ergonomic Sony Ericsson menu is not enough to sell the phone. Eye-catching design, premium materials and better media presence are also required.

[ This Message was edited by: (An)Dante on 2006-07-11 15:04 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 16:28
@an (Dante)

Well now that the low-mid range is bloated with average specced handsets with the Walkman 1.0 UI we might something more interesting and unique coming along.

A high- specced doesn't even have to possess a camera any more does it, now that the ranges are diverging.

The problem is now likes to make dual use of the chassis it designs like it has done with the M600/W950.

Are we going to see a high-end handset with a new form-factor? Hopefully. They might just start padding out the high end.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 16:31
its gonna be pink.

i know it.

fatreg
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic