Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > Want to upgrade in the US? Read this...

123  Next
Author Want to upgrade in the US? Read this...
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-05 04:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There have been many questions in this forum regarding the T68m to T68i firmware upgrade for US residents. As many of you know, this is not supported by and there is no official way to get the upgrade anywhere in North America at this time. Esato is in contact with USA regarding this matter and hopes to have more information soon on how to go about getting an authorized upgrade.

Some users have been able to find workarounds for the issue and have posted information in the forum about people and retail stores who are able and willing to perform an unauthorized upgrade in the US. Some of these locations are in PA, VT, NV and CA. Having an unauthorized firmware update performed on your phone is not condoned by or your network provider and will void your warranty. If your phone is locked, it could also be considered a breach of contract by your network provider and disqualify you from future technical support.

Since many posts have already been written containing contact information for these unauthorized upgraders, please use either the search function or private messages to obtain the information instead of posting requests in the forum. Again, more official information should soon be available on the situation, so keep checking back!

Thanks for your cooperation,
The Esato Team

[ This Message was edited by: jnonhoffzieg on 2002-10-06 17:19 ]
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-10-05 09:16
Thank you for all the effort, you have done a brilliant job.

Guys!

Laffen and I have been in contact regularly over the last few weeks and decided that Esato needed a contact person in the US.
May we introduce that man:
JNONHOFFZIEG!
He has been in regular contact with SE US on this matter and is doing an impressive job. More information will follow.
Keep up the good work.

[ This Message was edited by: tranquil on 2002-10-08 12:18 ]
MrSavoy
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-10-05 16:43
Yes I second that, although I am new to this site/forums I have gotten so much information from here that I feel this is a invaluable resource. Thanks Esato for helping us here in the U.S.

-Savoy
Sparky72
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-10-05 16:46
Hooray for jnonhoffzieg!! Thanks to Esato too. I check this board everyday for new stuff. It's great!
MrSavoy
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-10-08 00:50
I agree it is really antiquated to have to send in your hardware for any type of software upgrade these days. You can connect the t68 vis BT IRDA and cable that should be good enough. Well in the future new phones will have that feature. Phone tech is where PC tech was approx 7 years ago IMO. This is all just getting started, we have a long way to go before we see really amazing things from wireless.
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-08 11:19
I totally agree that should change their policy of not authorizing upgrades in North America. The upgrade should be available for everyone worldwide. We are still in the process of obtaining information from them which will immediately be posted here.

But please don't post information about unauthorized upgrades in the forum. There have already been many posts containing such info which you can find using the Search tool. If you want to ask somebody directly, just send them a Private Message. Esato provides a vast amount of information on all topics but doesn't support the "grey market". Thanks guys!

[ This Message was edited by: jnonhoffzieg on 2002-10-09 11:43 ]
MrSavoy
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-10-11 20:49
Any fresh inofrmation on this situation?
waikincheng
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-12 08:24
Yes, read my post here: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=12114&forum=17
We can flash it ourselves.
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-13 10:52
MrSavoy, we're in contact with SE USA and will post any new information as soon as we get it...

[ This Message was edited by: jnonhoffzieg on 2002-10-15 06:20 ]
BlaSTiWi
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-14 21:48
Jeff,

Do you have info or hear anything back regarding what firmware version the SE facility in MN use for the T68i?

On other posting you've mentioned R5D007, I've got a ref. nbr. issued for them do I need to tell them that I'd like to have a software/firmware upgrade to R5D007 specifically or it's official so they'll always use it?

The reason I ask the tech. support only know of R2E existence while my phone already w/ R3C out of the store.

Tkx much in adv!
Rival
--
T68i (R8A013) + T610 (R1L) & Belkin USB Bluetooth
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-15 03:15
BlaSTiWi, I suggest calling the MN facility directly to ask what version they are currently flashing with. You can find the number here.

Strange as it sounds, they may not have the latest firmware version (R5D007). If they don't, you won't be able to do an official upgrade in the States yet. We still hope to have an update on this situation very soon.

-Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: jnonhoffzieg on 2002-10-15 06:22 ]
BlaSTiWi
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-10-15 16:53
Jeff,

When I called the MN center whoever answered seems to be just an operator, she asked & took some info out of the back of the phone verify if it under the warranty and about to issue me an RMA# (maybe?) but when I asked her for what is the firmware version they use currently she seems to be clueless and gave the (800) ERICSSON number where I got my ref. # to begin with.

Hope you have a better luck than me and maybe get some sort of a "magic word" when getting the ref. # so the MN facility know we are after the latest firmware upgrade.

Good luck on your effort and please let us know!
Rival
--
T68i (R8A013) + T610 (R1L) & Belkin USB Bluetooth
MrSavoy
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-10-15 17:01
You know it seems to me that SE doesn't treat the US market with any real concern. Which amazes me since most other larger corporations in the world kill to do business here and usually go out of their way to get new business. Especially considering SE's financial situation, you would think they would seriously go out of their way to allow this market to grow. Instead they treat us like red headed step children, this makes no sense to me what so ever. They are losing market share world wide and at a time when they need it most they refuse to help us out here. Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that the US market for GSM is growing and SE needs to be a real pressence here, why would they go about business here and treat us as if we dont count and our business doesn't matter?
I love my T68mi and I am considering getting the P800 early next year, but I will think twice if this is how they continue to treat us.
I really hope someone from upper managment reads this and sees where I am coming from. They can't afford to loose ANY business especially at a time like this.

BTW jnonhoffzieg I knwo you are trying to help us all out here in the states and I applaud your efforts but I just hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Regards.

-Savoy

[ This Message was edited by: MrSavoy on 2002-10-15 16:03 ]
funks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-15 21:05
read it at howardforums that the MN service center returned one's phone with the R5A020 firmware..
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-19 02:37
Thanks for your patience guys. I don't want to keep you waiting any longer and I'm sorry you haven't heard any progress for a while now. I have been in regular contact with USA and they have had discussions regarding authorized upgrades in North America. Unfortunately I can only post information that is considered "official", and at this time nothing has changed in their official policy. I understand the frustration with the level of support that we in North America are experiencing.

Esato is maintaining an open dialog with on the matter and any new information will continue to be posted here.

Jeff
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi