Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Danish Mohammad cartoon row - what do you think?

Previous  123 ... 424344  Next
Author The Danish Mohammad cartoon row - what do you think?
jagger2k
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 17:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
its somthing soo small and petty that has been blown way out of proportion.
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:02
it's petty to some or those who are not within that faith, just as making fun of another religion isn't nice.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:21
i wonder how many people who are protesting against the cartoons have seem it? and i also wonder how many muslims are really offended and how many of the pc brigade are shouting there mouths off. once again trying to speak for people who are more than capable of speaking for themselves.
i m not a muslim but have studied the faith extensivly, to me its just a cartoon.
i guess i can see why it may offend some people but really there are far more important things to worry about than a cartoon imo.
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:23
i think that all of these cartoons are alright, but suggesting directly that another religion is in the wrong, or putting other people down, should be very strictly regulated. it is things like this that can be very offensive to people who are already being generallised as "worse" than others

admittedly i am not religious, though i am hugely into the idea of multiple religions living with and around each other in peace, and i can personally see no reason why we should not make "idle" jokes with no intentional meaning about each other - everybody makes a joke somethimes

i personally dont care if somebody jokes at me as long as it is kept within a reasonable limit, and although i am saying this i can see why muslims would find this offending, as in the past few years they have been blamed for many things, and a minute minority of muslims have been the cause of a huge generalisation that muslims are terrorists, although i still believe that this is something that has gone a long way out of proportion

It is important to note that the views in this post are my personal views only, and are in no way representative of the general public or my relations. If you are offended by the contents of the post, please email me and I will glady discuss the removal of any offensive material contained
Mobile working solution:
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G + DVB-T ExpressCard + Merlin XU870 + 3 5GB/mo Mobile Broadband
HTC TyTN II + T-Mo Flext 25 W'n'W
Nokia 5300 + T-Mo Everyone PAYG
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:24
If the cartoon were drawn by a Muslim, would it be less offensive?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:26
it could be understood as less offensive because, it would decrease the reasoning that the person drew it to give Islam a less reputable name.

The media can manipulate you even subconsciously, and what better a way than by humour.

I personally dont give a shit about that comic, let God deal with him, sadly it's the fact that so many get influenced so easily.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:27
i would have thought that if your faith was strong enough it wouldnt even bother you as you would surely believe that you were going to heavento sit a gods side and the person who draw it was going the other way.
perhaps the people who are offended are questioning there own beliefs?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:51
it's not about personal hate towards the comic, it's the fact that people who are not belonging to the faith will further misunderstand it and associate it with ridicule and terrorism which is sad
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:56

[ This Message was edited by: joebmc on 2006-02-03 18:04 ]
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 18:59
don't say that Joe, you're only bringing up flame bait, you BELIEVE that they'd having fun with a Jew cartoon and what not, but it's not true, generally Muslim's dont care about a cartoon to motivate their opinions.

If somebody feels sensitive towards the comic, why cant you attempt to empathize rather than push their emotions aside.

We've established that if it was a comic about your faith, or something you cared deeply about you wouldn't care, so why keep bringing it up.
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 19:04
Quote:

On 2006-02-03 18:51:39, amnesia wrote:
it's not about personal hate towards the comic, it's the fact that people who are not belonging to the faith will further misunderstand it and associate it with ridicule and terrorism which is sad

i can see were your coming from but surely the best reaction would be to ignore it rather than fuel the fire of the people who misunderstand it. by getting upset and taking to the street its surely gonna play straight into the hands of the people who do misunderstand or are anti islam.
if it was ignored allowed to go away quietly then people who wish to have a pop at islam who have nothing to throw at them.
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 21:01
The way i see it its like, you've got bunch of religions sitting in a comedy store, the comic gets up on the stage and goes round the room and has a pop at each religion.

He goes into the jewish and the christians and muslims laugh together.
He goes into the christians and the jewish and muslims laugh together.
He goes into the muslims and the jewish and christians laugh together.

And so on.

Everyone goes home happy having had a laugh except the muslim religion who feels his been victimised.

(hope you see what i mean)
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 21:13
Quote:

On 2006-02-03 21:01:18, joebmc wrote:
The way i see it its like, you've got bunch of religions sitting in a comedy store, the comic gets up on the stage and goes round the room and has a pop at each religion.

He goes into the jewish and the christians and muslims laugh together.
He goes into the christians and the jewish and muslims laugh together.
He goes into the muslims and the jewish and christians laugh together.

And so on.

Everyone goes home happy having had a laugh except the muslim religion who feels his been victimised.

(hope you see what i mean)

See thats the general problem,people from other faiths don't understand anything about muslims or their religion....Islam to muslims is not a religion or faith,Its a way of life.

Its excatly this what makes Islam different,..people from other faiths maybe find it acceptable to have a joke made about their religion,but muslims don't...its just the way things are with Islam,you have to follow the faith by the book (Quran) and one of the many fundamental rules of islam is that you DON'T under any circumstance portray images of the holy prophets!!...why can't non-mulsims accept that this is the rule of Islam and unless your purposefully out to intimidate and offend muslims that you DO NOT break this rule or should i say LAW of Islam. [addsig]
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 00:26
Quote:

On 2006-02-03 21:13:32, axxxr wrote:

See thats the general problem,people from other faiths don't understand anything about muslims or their religion....Islam to muslims is not a religion or faith,Its a way of life.

and this is exactly the problem the other way. firstly the implicit assumption that only a muslim could understand anything about islam, secondly the implicit assumption that islam is somehow a more "worthy" religion than the others, and thirdly the overt assumption that the same is not true for devout jews or christians (i.e. that it is not just a religiion but way of life for them). NONE of these things is true.

Quote:
Its excatly this what makes Islam different,..people from other faiths maybe find it acceptable to have a joke made about their religion,but muslims don't...its just the way things are with Islam,you have to follow the faith by the book (Quran) and one of the many fundamental rules of islam is that you DON'T under any circumstance portray images of the holy prophets!!...why can't non-mulsims accept that this is the rule of Islam and unless your purposefully out to intimidate and offend muslims that you DO NOT break this rule or should i say LAW of Islam.

muslims have to follow the law of islam, but they have absolutely no right whatsoever to enforce those laws on any non-muslim. it is in fact strictly against christianity to portray an image of god, and yet countless times this is done - the classic example being to show god as an old man in the clouds - but nobody seems to raise so much as an eyebrow. nor do cartoons mocking jesus or the church provoke such a response. the muslim reaction to these danish cartoons is grossly disproportionate. at worst they should have attracted a strongly worded letter of protest, not the mob menatlity and culture of victimhood being displayed. words should be combated with words, not threats or acts of violence.

having said all that, any cartoon that takes the mickey about any religious or cultural icon should first and foremost actually be funny, and the cartoonist should strive not to be deliberately offensive. while freedom of speach is sacrosanct within western society (a concept some people seem to have trouble with), with that right comes the obligation to use it responsibly. deliberately offensive or provocative material is not a responsible use of that right.

however, these cartoons didn't come from nowhere without inspiration or provocation. perhaps we should ask ourselves what caused them to be drawn before choosing to take offense. it is far too easy to blame western ignorance. if so many westerners are wrong, then please SHOW US that we are. publicly condemn the radicals and extremists who provoke such a mistaken concept of islam. the muslim reaction to these cartoons has so far done nothing but reinforce the stereotype, confirming rather than dispelling the prejudices.
Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-04 00:33
I think there isnt anything wrong with those pix, its just an opinion, so why not? If its good or wrong, take it as u want. Thats what i call democracy and freedom.

This message was posted from a Nokia

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 424344  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic