Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > The Esato Reader Project

12  Next
Author The Esato Reader Project
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 14:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Reading the topic of this thread, some of you will be wondering, ‘What in gods name is this Esato reader project?’
Well, the answer to that question is: The Esato reader project is a small, light-weight, Open Source program, which connects to the Esato RSS feed and gets the latest updated posts on Esato.

The following questions should answer most of your queries about the Esato Reader Project.

Q. You mentioned that the Esato Reader Project connects to an RSS feed. What is RSS?

A. RSS stands for ‘R’eally ‘S’imple ‘S’yndication.
According to Google: RSS or Really Simple Syndication is a useful tool for keeping updated on your favorite websites. RSS makes use of an XML code that constantly scans the content of a website for updates and then broadcasts those updates to all subscribers through a feed.

Q. So is the Esato Reader Project just an RSS Reader?

A. Absolutely not! The Esato Reader Project is a lot more then an RSS reader for the Esato RSS feed, it is a comprehensive Esato utility.
One can think of the Esato Reader Project as a set of tools built around the Esato RSS feed.

Q. Ok, I understand that the Esato Reader Project is not just an RSS Reader. What else does it do then?

A. The Esato Reader Project has essentially two components, the Esato Reader, and the Esato Browser.

The Esato Reader:

The Esato Reader is that part of the Esato Reader Project which connects to the Esato RSS Feed.

The Esato Browser:

The Esato browser, is very similar to any other web browser in functionality, but it is built with browsing on Esato in mind. Frequent Esato visitors will find it very convenient to use.

Q. Does the Esato Reader Project only connect to the Esato RSS feed?

A. No, the Esato Reader Project can be used to connect to any RSS 2.0 feed.

Q. Ok, I’m convinced. Where can I download the Esato Reader Project from?

A. You can download the Esato Reader Project in two versions.
1) The basic installation package. The basic installer will check your system for the Pre-Requisites (i.e the .NET Framework 2.0 and Windows Installer 3.1) and if you don’t have any of them it will automatically download them from the vendors website. It is only 900 KB in size and I recommend it for users who feel they already have the required files and users with Slower Internet connections (i.e GPRS, Dialup <56kbps). Get it here.

2)The Complete installation package. This installation package contains the .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable file (x86 only, x64 users must use the basic installer), and the Windows Installer 3.1 files. However this installation package is a huge 25MB. This would be for the users who have slightly faster (>56 kbps) internet connections. get it here

Both the above two installers will end up installing the same software, they are just different deployment methods. The Installers are compressed to a RAR file, you must extract it,I suggest you use Winrar incase you don’t already have it.

Q. If both the installers install the same software, why is the file size so different?

A. The basic installer, just contains the Esato Reader Project installation files, and it will utilize your internet connection to download the Pre-Requisites files from the internet. The complete installer already has these files in it.

Q. Will the Esato Reader Project work on my PC?

A. The Esato Reader Project will work on any PC which can run the .NET framework 2.0.
Microsoft says: Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2
Minimum System Requirements: Pentium or AMD machine running at 200 Mhz, with 32MB of RAM, and 300 MB of free hard drive space before installation.

Q. You said that that the Esato Reader Project is open source, where can I get the source code? I am a developer and I would like to see it or modify it somewhat.

A. Indeed, the Esato Reader Project is open source, you can download the source code from here. All I ask is if you re-use my code; just give me some credit for it.

Q. My operating system is not listed in the supported operating systems list, am I going to be left out?

A. As I have mentioned before, this project is open source, You can yourself compile it for your platform, Linux and Mac users can use Mono to do so, I am already working on porting it for Palm and Windows Mobile, all I have so far is a very buggy PalmOS version, but a couple of months will get us somewhere.

If someone is interested in helping me out with Beta testing on actual device, please PM me.

Q. Who were involved with the development of this project?

A. Most of the development was done by myself but you can thank Axxxr, Batesie, dgilmartin, East Coast Star, ÈL ® ö B ì Ñ, Hustl£r and jcwhite_uk for their very valuable support and assistance.

If any of you face any problems, please use this thread for discussing any issues.

Enjoy!

Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 14:37
Wow, someones been putting a lot of work in! i'm impressed!
Hello, Scroto!

U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, you ugly!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 14:42
I was intrigued by this when you first PM'd me and having never used RSS I wasn't much help I think.

However looking at the effort you have put into it I'll be sure to make this my first RSS experience

nice work!
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 14:48
@meths: Indeed, it was a long project. Though I initially started out trying to make a simple RSS Aggregerator, but ended up with this. . I couldn't have done it without the help of all the members I mentioned.

@masseur: I hope you will enjoy it!!
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 15:21
GREAT JOB DEBU!!!
Congrats. [addsig]
EastCoastStar
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 15:23
i use this everyday when i am at home surfing

good job! sorry i wasnt alot of help. (it worked good from the start though!)
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 15:26
@krubach: Thank You.

@ECS: You did help a lot! If I remember you pointed out several errors in the code, right form the early pre-beta version.

dgilmartin
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-20 15:38
Yeah, Its a great piece of software, although I didn't put much help in, I was glad to be a part of it. Excellent work debu, it makes esato browsing ten times quicker!
All the Way! Looking for a w705 PM me! Arizona
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 15:43
ive found myself using a lot RSS feeds since testing this
good work mate the credit is all yours. [addsig]
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-20 15:44
The first thing i do when i get home is download it!! Great job folks.... Haven't tried this rss thingy yet but now.....

and i'm very happy today.
Got my first job today.

how long did the project take from the scratch to reality?
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 16:26
@Dan, Batesie: Cheers.

@whizz: Congrats on your new job!! If i remember correctly, mrao will be your boss, right?

[ This Message was edited by: Debu on 2006-01-20 15:29 ]
mrao
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 19:23

@debu...nope , whizz will have his own boss....and it wont be me.....his boss should be joining on the same day as he.....

And nice work there mate....just downloaded the reader and am installing it....
t610 > k700i > p800 > p900 > p910 > k750i > I-mate Jam > Blokia 6681 > HTC Prophet > HTC Wizard & Nokia N73 > E71 > BB 9000 > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II & the Motorola Xoom
<br />
Still Shiny but not so n
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 19:34
@debu - Nice input ! This must be something mate, as you GOT a NOD from one of the Mods here [addsig]
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 21:12
@mrao: I see. So, you will be whizz's bosses boss? Hope you enjoy it.

@JN: I got a nod from laffen to go ahead with this project, to be precise. I had to take his permission before i could call it the Esato Reader Project. I hope you enjoy using it.

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-01-20 21:20
@debu - Yeah . . . sure I will mate. Just like playing Counter-Strike here [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi