Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > Danger: new firmware STILL has ms bug!

Previous  1234  Next
Author Danger: new firmware STILL has ms bug!
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 18:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I was lucky never to suffer from the ms duo corruption bug, but like Ive described I have had the loss of connection error many times on all firmwares right from the first one. And everytime I can invoke or fix the error manually by moving the connector in its socket.
Hold the phone in one hand, attach the cable with the other hand and move it up and down a few times in its socket, and you can make it turn on and off at will. open my computer and see how the removable drive appears and disappear. This is because one or some of the litle pins nolonger reach the contact points thus loss of connection.

I have it connected now lying flat on the table, and simply by lifting the phone whereby the weight of the cable pushes down the connector very litle in its socket and it immediately lose connection and the removable drive disappears. Since my K750 was one of the first, and the cable has been attached detached many times, its getting a litle worn.

No point in arguing about it though, you are perfectly free to call it a firmwarebug, Ill just keep calling it a mechanical bug myself.

Peace

PS: just saw a few post being posted while I wrote this

Yes - "parameter wrong" (which I havent heard mentioned before) is an entirely different error than "communication error" caused by loose pins, Ive only heard of the "communication error"

Though even with the loose pins error you can sometimes experience that you can still see the removable device just not see anything on it, this is simply because the connection is initially lost, but windows hasnt yet managed to remove the icon, sometimes because the connection is regained an instant afterwards when pins again touches the contacts, if so waiting a few seconds for windows to settle and you should be able to see the content of the removable device again. Other times just wait a few seconds longer till windows settles and the removable device will dissapear.

If you get a "parameter wrong" error then its different, but at this point I dont have any sure guesses on what, could be a firmware error, could be something else. "Parameter wrong" errors are usually caused by windows hardwaredrivers. Perhaps reinstalling the drivers might help if your windows didnt reinstall them automatically when you attached it the first time after the firmwareupdate . Windows reinstalled my k750 drivers automatically the first time I attached the phone after performing the firmwareupdate. This is normal since the K750 hardwareid in windows can change when firmware is changed. Just like If you attach a different K750 than your own it will also reinstall the drivers.

[ This Message was edited by: numb on 2005-12-15 17:46 ]
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 18:48
#numb

Thanks for your quick reply. Right now, I'm actually copying large amounts of data (mp3s) to my W800i and it works ok after 30 minutes of transfer. The error: "parameter is incorrect" can be reproduced everytime when I transfer around 100-200mb of data from MS back to PC. Strange problem! I hope they can release another fix for it soon.
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 18:56
Ill try doing the same and see if I can reproduce the error.

Did you try reinstalling the drivers ??

chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 03:05
#numb

Yes, re-installed the drivers and compared the version number with the latest available usb drivers online. It is the same. I'm going to try formatting my 1 Gig San Disk MS on the phone and see if it works any better. I'll let u know of my findings also. Thanks!
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-16 05:40
Quote:

On 2005-12-15 06:51:42, numb wrote:
No, that is not a file transfer or firmware bug

That is standard windows behaviour and It is exactly what it appears to be and what windows says it is, a loss in connection, due to the usb connector being very slightly lose thus the small pins lose connection.

Move the usb connector a litle in its socket, or pull it out and press it in again, and it connects again.
When having the usb cable connected place the phone and cable in such a way that the cable is supported, and there is no strain on the cable pulling it out/up/down.

For instance, Placing the phone near the edge of the table with the cable hanging over the edge from the phone, can make it lose connection. Make sure the the connector is plugged firmly into the socket, and that part of the cable is placed on the table together with the phone.

This is also very important when doing firmwareupgrades to prevent "communication errors" when upgrading.

[ This Message was edited by: numb on 2005-12-15 06:25 ]

Just to detail the transfer error I got (only happened once to me, for the record) while transferring about 20+ jpgs from MS of the phone to PC thru USB:

I didn't get a "communication error". I know of this issue you're talking about (cable gets loose connection to the phone, and the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on taskbar disappear, or sometimes I get a "Device not recognized" icon on taskbar), but the error I got during this file transfer is a something like a "file not found" error while copying. Then when I try to check the MSpduo drive it's still there in Windows Explorer, but when I try to access it it displays nothing, as if the drive is totally empty. The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is still in the taskbar. (That actually scared me because I thought my MS got corrupted and had all my files lost.)

I'm not saying though that I'm sure that this is already a firmware bug; just sharing my experience with this transfer error I got. I'm almost certainly sure that it happened not because of a loose cable connection (because I learned my lesson to firmly connect the cable to the phone and never touch it and place it in a way as to not strain the cable or anything).
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 07:54
Just formatted my 1Gig Sandisk Ultra II MS card. I copied around 800mb data to the card in one "drag and drop" and no problems there. Took around 40-50mins and everything is intact. Then, I just drag and drop back to the computer and around 5mins (20-30mb copied), I just experience the same thing (parameter is incorrect, removable drive empty). If it's not firmware problem, it must be compatibility with my memory stick. I'm going to try another MS from my friend later. Hopefully if anyone got this problem or encountered anything like this, post their findings / solutions to this thread! Thanks a million~
simply__me
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 09:59
@kristianm

If it displayed totally nothing in the drive.. how did you retrieve your lost files?
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 10:23
Quote:

On 2005-12-16 09:59:14, simply__me wrote:
@kristianm

If it displayed totally nothing in the drive.. how did you retrieve your lost files?

I've also encountered the same problem. You just need to disconnect the usb and reconnect again and everything will still be there.
chrelbr
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 12:41
i had that problem but it was just the cabel...i reconnected and it worked just fine....i think this fw is near bug-free
simply__me
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 12:43
Quote:

On 2005-12-16 10:23:46, chowkb wrote:
I've also encountered the same problem. You just need to disconnect the usb and reconnect again and everything will still be there.

I see.... well as long as the files arent lost. I'd get so pissed when and if that happens. I'm still stuck on R1N and the ms duo bug has played on me twice. But lucky I backup my photos and videos..
mongoose3800
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 13:27
The main point here is that files aren't being lost anymore. That is a plus. But, this bug is a major failing in SE's beta testing and a royal pain in the arse!!! This bug has been evident from within minutes of me updating to R1AA008. In the previous release I never lost access to the MS in Windows Explorer. But now, as soon as you get a parameter is incorrect error you have to (safely)disconnnect the phone, reconnect it and start again. Over and over it goes until you get your files copied across. Also, in previous F/W's access to the phone memory via SE File Manager would disconnect and then auto reconnect. But, it never caused the phone to reset as is the case with the R1AA008 F/W. Extremely poor Q/A by SE!!!!!! I want job as an SE beta tester as I am 999% sure I could do a far better job!! I'll probably do it cheaper too!!! How on earth did they miss this??? Technically these phones (w800 and k750) are failing to meet their claimed functionality. This is unacceptable given the high price tags on these phones. If anyone is very disappointed and can't wait until the problem is sorted out, you should have valid grounds for a full refund.
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 14:42
@mongoose3800

I'm glad I'm not alone facing this problem. I don't mind if the picture loads a bit slower, the bitrate of the video a bit poor. But, what good is a phone with half working transfer of files to and from the computer? What would other's say if I transfer pictures to my friend's computer and he saw me disconnecting and reconnecting the USB before I can completely transfer 40 pictures? How do I recommend to my friends that this IS the phone they want to get? It's just pissing me off that the OLD firmware works perfectly and the new ones, after THREE MONTHS of develpment and testing, they still can't get it right. I'd appriciate that they have some sort of way for us to REVERT back to the old firmware the official way. I don't want to break my warranty. Just to let you know mongoose3800, I'm just as pissed as you are.........
serg
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 16:09
yes, same problem here when trying to copy mp3s from phone to computer i have message "incorrect parameter", but no problems when copying to phone from computer
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 16:14
Quote:

On 2005-12-16 16:09:26, serg wrote:
yes, same problem here when trying to copy mp3s from phone to computer i have message "incorrect parameter", but no problems when copying to phone from computer

Did you mean, you have no problems when copying from computer to phone? That's the same symptom as me. At least we have one more person waiting for SE to sort this problem out......It's going to be another long wait until SE releases another firmware that fixes this bug.... (appearantly only affects some people)
serg
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-16 16:22
chowkb

yes, i dont have any problems when copying mp3s to phone, transfered about 400mb of mp3s at once (512mb ms pro duo from w800) without any problems, but when i strarted to copy mp3s back to computer, after a while i had message saying something about incorrect parameter and only about 60mb copyied. After that all folders of ms card are empty and i have to reconnect k750 to see my files
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi