Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > Danger: new firmware STILL has ms bug!

1234  Next
Author Danger: new firmware STILL has ms bug!
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 04:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
As topic... be aware of that! Don't rush to upgrade it, because now problems arise when you copy files from the phone to the computer... let's say, 20 JPGs, in the middle of the transfer you'll get a communication error saying that the file don't exist, and when you try to access the unit, it'll be blank.

So... thought I'd make this thread to let you know that it's NOT SAFE to update it... but, it's just a warning; then you'll do as you please.
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-15 04:57
@dan, have you updated and tested it? That sucks really....if the prob still persists!
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 05:06
Luckily... NO! That's why I try to warn other curious users not to; just to wait a little more...

Then, you'll say, how do I know? Just asked in different threads where users say they updated; plus from the k750/w800 firmware review thread...

Sad, isn't it?
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 06:51
No, that is not a file transfer or firmware bug

That is standard windows behaviour and It is exactly what it appears to be and what windows says it is, a loss in connection, due to the usb connector being very slightly lose thus the small pins lose connection.

Move the usb connector a litle in its socket, or pull it out and press it in again, and it connects again.
When having the usb cable connected place the phone and cable in such a way that the cable is supported, and there is no strain on the cable pulling it out/up/down.

For instance, Placing the phone near the edge of the table with the cable hanging over the edge from the phone, can make it lose connection. Make sure the the connector is plugged firmly into the socket, and that part of the cable is placed on the table together with the phone.

This is also very important when doing firmwareupgrades to prevent "communication errors" when upgrading.

[ This Message was edited by: numb on 2005-12-15 06:25 ]
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-15 07:18
good work numb!

ok people, lets just not blame this simple glitches to the FW, i still believe that SE assesses these probs with prompt responsiblity. technology is a continuous process, for now were all certain that one way or another, wot R1N lacks or havin probs, R1AA delivers... but still, we all know wot comes next... other bugs.. hopefully these one come in iddi biddy sizes.
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 13:19
But it happened to a couple of people.. would you say they all was for the cable being loose? Sadly, I don't think so... specially cause they all got the problem when copying files from the phone to PC, not the other way around...

EDIT: Now it's been MORE than a couple; check the firmware review thread...

[ This Message was edited by: Dan_Aykroyd on 2005-12-15 12:22 ]
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-15 13:35
Quote:

On 2005-12-15 13:19:05, Dan_Aykroyd wrote:
But it happened to a couple of people.. would you say they all was for the cable being loose? Sadly, I don't think so... specially cause they all got the problem when copying files from the phone to PC, not the other way around...

EDIT: Now it's been MORE than a couple; check the firmware review thread...

[ This Message was edited by: Dan_Aykroyd on 2005-12-15 12:22 ]

well i can say that they all have looose cables man. how bout me and numb? arent we included in the thread? well lets just say that... R1AA is really not the perfect comfort fit FW for K750, since others are still experiencing difficulties, but blaming the new FW.. too early. mwarner has it easy on explaining these things.. i guess i dont.. but for me.. all is fine back here... hope you guys find yer fun in the new FW... all hopes are up man! peace out!

[ This Message was edited by: rockygali on 2005-12-15 12:35 ]
Beep
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-15 13:45
hello peeps

I haven't had time to check the threads but was woundering:

is the error only with 750's to 800's?

is the error on large sticks (64MB+)

is the error only with third party firmware (not SEUS)?

is the error localized to a Firmware (EU_1 EU_2 etc...)?

I'm not doubting the firmware NOT being faulty just,

is it related to some condition, and if so what or does it affect ALL!!!

This is quite a complicated subject - I'm going to sit in a corner and cry
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 15:04
I also encounter this problem in the new R1AA008 and also the previous R1NA005 firmware..... I can never copy more than 200MB of files from my phone to PC....I've tried 2 different USB cables and 3 different PCs. This is so frustrating =( How I wish I can have R1L002 back......
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 16:36
#Dan_Aykroyd

Im just saying that when you specifically receive the "communication error" from windows and then nolonger can acces the removable drive, it simply means what it says. Just like with any other removable devises. It means that the 2 devices nolonger have connection. It is not comparable to the previous "file transfer ms duo corruption bug" which did the transfer without complaining, or corrupted files, or even deleted files.

This particular error is a communication error caused by poor physical connection in the socket. I have noticed this many times with all firmwares and many different types of removable devices, including the K750. Sometimes I lose connection instantly when I let go of the cable after connecting and have to connect the cable a couple of times before I find the right position where alle the pins have connection.

The connector and the socket quickly gets a litle whorn from being connected and disconnected, and the pins making the connection simply lose connection.

You can easily invoke or test the error yourself by moving the connector a litle in its socket when attached, or pushing it deeper into the socket when the error arrise. You can then both see and hear the device being connected or disconnected again.

This particular error is a mechanical error, not a firmware error.

And yes, since everyone with these phones use the same type of mechanical connection, it is very likely that many or even everyone at some point will experience this, regardles of firmware.

You can call it poor design of the connector used, but not a firmware bug.

Ja99iE
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-15 16:41
No problems for me using a CDS-60, which is consistent with what numb says about loose conections I guess.

Overall I'm impressed with the new firmware, it seems to be what the K750i should have been to begin with, although I can't say I've thouroughly tested it as of yet.
TeesBox Funny T-Shirts
Funny T-Shirts UK
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 17:52
numb... come on... what's with all these guys claiming they get transmission error, from PHONE TO PC, just after updated to the new firmware...? out of the blue, suddenly, they will all begin to complain that they are loosing connections?

I didn't compare it to the first bug; neither I said it was the same. On the other hand, yes, it'd bother me just as equal as the R1N035 bug.

On the time I had the w800 (4, 5 months), I never had a connection lost while in R1L002, then in R1N035 most of the time, now that I'm on R1L002 I'm safe again... it's pretty hard for the pins not to make contact; the fast port 'locks' itself in the port; you'd have to pull it hard to let it make false contact. And besides... the phone is staying in your desktop, connected, you don't even look at it... and in the middle of the transfer, the connection is lost. Will you say it's from "poor" connecting; that the phone unplugged itself? Come on mate! Maybe you didn't get the issue, as with the MS bug in R1N, but then you're just lucky, cause many guys who updated are suffering from it.
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 18:08
#Dan_Aykroyd

I agree with you because the symptoms for loose pins is different that what me and others are experiencing. For loose connection (which i tried to nudge the cable to produce this effect) the green arrow at the bottom right hand corner of the screen (usb removable icon) will disappear and your Removable drive (W800i MS disk) will be gone. You can also hear the USB sound that indicates the USB device is disconnected.

For what we are experiencing now, the files just stop in the middle of the transfer with error message saying: "parameter is incorrect". The green arrow at the bottom right hand corner of the screen is STILL HERE. The Removable drive (W800i MS disk) is STILL HERE and there is NO USB disconnection sound. All the files in the Removable drive is GONE.

These differences convinced me that it is still the bug with the latest firmware because I've tried no error message saying: "parameter is incorect" with the R1L firmware.

I agree that some people are lucky that they couldn't encounter this problem, but it doesn't mean that it is working for all of us here. I would like to downgrade back to R1L. If anyone can give me simple instructions on how to do it. I'd appriciate very much. Thanks in advance!

btw, I'm using the Hong Kong version of the W800i. Please tell me what CDAs and Language files to use~
ijefferies
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 18:10
I'm still on old firmware r1L, and if i move the phone when connected I'll sometimes get the windows disconnect warning. That can only be down to hardware.
chowkb
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-15 18:17
Quote:

On 2005-12-15 18:10:00, ijefferies wrote:
I'm still on old firmware r1L, and if i move the phone when connected I'll sometimes get the windows disconnect warning. That can only be down to hardware.

Yes, you will get windows disconnect warning if you ave loose pins / cables. This is a hardware problem. What I wanted to say In my post above is that the symptoms I'm experiencing is NOT the same with a loose pins / cables.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi