Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Race Riots in Australia

123  Next
Author Race Riots in Australia
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-12 21:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Whats going down under with 1000's of drunken yobs attacking Arabs?.I know it all started with a couple of apparantly Arab guys attacked lifeguards on Sydney beach...but that no excuse to go on the rampage againts every one who looks like an arab,im not taking any sides here but the arab immigrants are the minority race.I'm quite dissapointed with this news because i used to think australians were a quiet peace loving country who were tolerant of other races.

[addsig]
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-12 22:11
It's shocking. And all this achieves is that it adds fuel to the fire started by the conspiracy theorists that our brethren from the Middle East are attempting to take over the world... Shades of Pinky and the Brain, i think...

This message was posted from a WAP device

axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-13 01:47
Yes exactly,i think this sudden anti-arab anger aussie style is another by product of Mr bush's agenda...What angered and dissapointed me the most is that decent looking aussie folk chanting anti-arab and anti-muslim slogans to minority people who's only crime is to be dark skinned and muslim..whats disturbing is fair enough even if some of the arabs did commit the crimes which started the whole thing,why start the whole crusade against the arab/muslim populous?...Would any of this happened if the guys who attacked the lifeguards were average white aussie's...doubtfull....Its a such a shame that such extreme racism is rife and prevolant in the 21st century. [addsig]
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 01:52
cross-posted from my own thread (see sig) to keep the discussion in one place:
Quote:

On 2005-12-13 01:50:10, gelfen wrote:
there is a lot more to it than is being reported in the international media. sydney has a long history of gang warfare, and the events of the last few days have actually been almost a decade in the making. the murdered lifeguard was merely the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. racial tension has been fomenting in the poorer suburbs of sydney for some time since the gangs are formed on racial/cultural lines - most notably asians, surfies and lebanese muslims - with the "lebs" generally considered the most violent and aggressive. there is also some evidence to suggest that the initial alcohol-fuelled riot in cronulla was organised and incited by a number of so-called white supremecist and far-right groups.

anyone with a functioning brain cell finds the whole situation deplorable, but the story is a lot older than the last two days.

Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
eskay
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 02:07
I agree with you my friend they really went over board this time , and i absoluty think its wrong. This could only incite other violent behavior pattern in other parts of the world. Peace on earth now !

This message was posted from a Nokia

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 02:22
I'm not convinced this is racist based as Aussies, in general, are a multi cultural society and we enjoy the diversity afforded by other cultures.

Indeed I see this as no different than, say, Uk football hooliganism in that it appears to be totally opportunistic by the descriptions being given of people from other suburbs, and indeed states, simply coming along to partake in violence

I really feel that sensationalising this as a racist, or even as a Bush topic is making a bigger deal of this than is reality as I guarantee than 99% of Aussies will deplore the actions of the minority in this case
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-13 02:34
Quote:

On 2005-12-13 02:22:23, masseur wrote:

I really feel that sensationalising this as a racist, or even as a Bush topic is making a bigger deal of this than is reality as I guarantee than 99% of Aussies will deplore the actions of the minority in this case

Is this not a racist issue,on which the topic is based?..The Bush factor has to come into it,with war in Iraq and Terrorism and a general anti-muslim attutude around the which flames situations such as this..Im not denying the most aussie's are peace loving and tolerant. [addsig]
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 02:37
there is no doubt the racial element is being used as a sensationalist excuse, rather than the more mundane reality of drunken thugs looking for trouble. however, the actions of some lebanese gangs over the last few years (race-based verbal and physical attacks on "whites", assaulting a police station with semi-automatic weapons, a series of gang-rapes a few years ago, and now the bashed lifeguard) has no doubt been a major factor. on the morning of the riots i believe there was a peaceful rally by cronulla residents campaigining for "peace in our suburb" because the gang culture has taken such a hold.

EDIT: to try laying this at Bush's feet is a VERY long bow to draw. as i said, this has been a long time coming and is in a number of ways a result of factors unique to Sydney. not every race-issue can be linked to the US.

EDIT 2: the lifeguard was bashed, not murdered.

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2005-12-13 01:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2005-12-13 06:09 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 02:38
yes, of course there has to be some racism involved in some part, though unfortunately you will find that that the majority of racism in australia is aboriginal based.

Bringing Bush into this has almost nothing to do with the topic IMHO

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-12-13 01:40 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-13 02:48
Quote:

On 2005-12-13 02:38:24, masseur wrote:

Bringing Bush into this has almost nothing to do with the topic IMHO

I think as gelfen mentioned a lot of is gang based and this has been brewing for long while now with proberbly both sides to blame,i did'nt really know the root of the issue until gelfen kindly highlighted it here.I know went with what i saw on Sky News,.im such a sucker believing the media again...theirs always another side to the story.

Mate you know bush is responsible for all the troubles on the planet,can you please just for once go with me on this one and blame him aswell...I so want to see you anti-bush!

[addsig]
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 14:10
Its djcreamz, think about it. The day he moves to oz, and all hell breaks loose! Coincidence?

[ This Message was edited by: methylated_spirit on 2005-12-13 13:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: methylated_spirit on 2005-12-13 13:33 ]
lastride
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 14:41
about time an aussie said something this riot has just been one build up every1 knew it was gonna happen sooner or later ok it has nothing 2 do with racism 2 some ppl it does but its more 2 the point that the lebs in around thinkin they can do what they want when they want stealing cars killing ppl coz they blinked wrong raping people just everything thing u could think of they do it 1 muslim said that it's girl's fault they get raped because of the they dress thats not right is it

This message was posted from a WAP device

joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-12-13 18:19
@axxxr
You'd blame a mouse fart on bush

Anyways i dont live in oz so have no real idea what there multicultural life is like but would imagine it to be similar to Britain’s. This incident seems no different to the one that happened up Birmingham way a few months ago (something about a young black girl getting allegedly raped buy a group of Muslim men).
Is this what happens every time people of different backgrounds are put together?
Can we not just live together in peace?
JT
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-13 18:25
@joebmc

Yeah I agree with you there.

I live about two miles away from the supposed rape. Let me tell you, no rape ever happened.

It was actually just an on going war between two businesses selling similar products. One was owned by Black people, one by Asian people. Basically one business thought they were losing customers to the other so they came up with the idea to accuse rape on the business in question.

Silly really
www.mobileschoice.com - The UK's leading price comparison site for mobile phones.
Davo_169
T650 Gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-12-14 10:16
Quote:

On 2005-12-13 02:38:24, masseur wrote:
the majority of racism in australia is aboriginal based.

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-12-13 01:40 ]

im guilty!!
but you cant blame me with the area i live in....
you look at them and they say "what are you staring at c**t" and then you get your arse kicked....you dont look at them they think your too good for them and you get your arse kicked.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic