Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > W800i Memory stick completely dead?

Author W800i Memory stick completely dead?
jazzyb88
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-30 20:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have exactly the same problem with my SanDisk 64mb card (AB0507AK). It was working fine before, but as soon as i removed it and tried again it wouldn't work.

The phone has the latest firmware and i'm contemplating whether i should get a card reader to double-check this.

Does anyone know if the fault is SE's or SanDisk's? It would really help if you guys could clear up these matters.
daveefarr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 20:02
Hi all,
I'm glad I am not the only one with this W800/SanDisk 512Mb MSDuo issue. Just b4 Xmas I bought a W800 (which I love) but as soon as I inserted the memory stick into the media port on my PC (using the adapter) the drive failed, PC crashed and then NOTHING I inserted the card in would read it.
I raised the issue with Orange and they said I had to send everything back (phone, card, sim) and start again from scratch. They to mentioned that as the card was an accessory it wasn't covered by them (I have been working in a retail environment for 18 years and I can tell you this is garbage and Trading Standards would have a word or two to say about this comment!)
Unhappy with Orange's lack of customer service skills, I sent everything back and declined returning to them again.
Instead after New Year I bought the same phone again with Vodaphone. This time I inserted the memory stick duo into a media drive directly and it failed to be read.
I work for a major UK photographic retailer as a technical support manager for photo kiosks and I will categorically state that in this case it's the cards at fault. Two different media drives were being used with the card in the two cases I have described.
Vodaphone were a bit better. I have had to send everything back (except the sim) and they are going to send me a whole new kit!
My best guess is that there are two issues surrounding this phone and this card (Firmware issue with the phone, batch problem with the card). The result is mixed errors and problems which I am sure SE and SanDisk are trying to resolve but will no doubt prefer not to make common knowledge.
SOLUTION?
If you have a problem, go back to where you bought it for a replacement/repair and DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. Be polite but firm! Stand Your Ground! Speak to someone in authority if you are not getting anywhere!
To be totally safe? Choose a different phone! (I wonder what the new W810 is like?)

Hope this helps!

Dave
Aland
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 21:05
I'm having intermittent problems with a new 2gb Sandisk Gaming MS Pro Duo I bought from Amazon. Disc2phone puts a loads of tunes on, but then half of them disappear.
The card doesn't now show in a card reader (tried two, they're fine with my 512 Sony card). Only appears in XP logical disk management service, and is unreadable there.
In the phone it appears fine, and can be formatted etc. Connect the phone with USB cable and I can drag and drop tunes no worries although it taks a really long time. But when I disconnect the phone they disappear. Or some stay. Or they turn into mixed-up files with songs squashed together.

At one point, the card returned a 300gb size on the properties tags.

Any ideas? Send the card back?
daveefarr
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 23:32
Hi,

I'll have a go with this one. Intermittent problems are always the worst to analyse as you can't make continued tests against the same fault. You're best bet is to use the process of elimination. If you suspect the card is at fault, and it has only been recently purchased, ask Amazon if they'll swap it and try again. If the replacement card exhibits the same problems, speak to phone manufacturer. Perhaps it's a fault with the phone or a firmware update is required. Picking off each possibility one by one will eventually lead you to the solution. Always try the easiest, cheapest possibilities first though to minimise lost time and money!

Hope this helps!

Dave
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-31 23:52
I have an intermittent problem with a 64Mb Duo too, sometimes the phone won't read it, and often when connected to the PC the computer can't read it either. I'm hoping it's the card and not the reader on the phone, will find out tomorrow when I get a 512Mb Duo Pro!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Aland
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 00:33
I thought I had it sorted - I put the 2gb card in my Cybershot camera, and formatted it there. It then appeared fine on my card reader, and I could drag songs onto it.
But when I put it into the phone, the songs were unplayable.

Crap...
Aland
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 01:37
Okay, sorted it at last. I think.

Formatted card in my DSC-T3 camera, so I could see it on the PC in my card reader, deleted everything apart from the .ind files. Then copied the folders from a 512mb W800 card(but not the invisible memstick.ind and mstick_pro.ind files, left these as they were, put on by the camera) onto the card. Then ran disc2phone with the card in the reader still, and loaded up 270 tunes.

Put it in the phone, and let it sit for half an hour without doing anything. Opened walkman, all there, all playing fine.

All I can think of is the .ind files are important - don't use them from another card (I was doing this earlier). The card is now FAT formatted, which is wasteful for a 2gb card (?). But it's all working... for the moment at least.

[ This Message was edited by: Aland on 2006-02-01 00:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aland on 2006-02-01 00:42 ]
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-06 15:18
Yo guys...guess what...the nice post office have missplaced my card...and the warranty doesnt approve a lose of the card when being with th epost office...wtf?!...
olw800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-16 18:13
Well after putting up a post saying that o2 were going to send me a 512mb card to my door and after waiting over a month for it to arrive and still nothing. I called again and gave them a piece of my mind and now I have been told if I go to A O2 shop and buy a card they will credit the cost to my account.

I'm going to give it a go but I will be major peeved if I have problems recovering the monies from them.

I'll let you know what happens!
jas328sport
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-17 08:21
i too was told that 02 were going to send me a new memory stick so imagine how peed off i was only to recieve a 256mb card a week later.about a dozen phone calls later and after being passed from pillar to post and after one fool trying to argue that a 256 card is all they come with and that i must have been sent the 512 with the phone by mistake they finally admitted that they dont even sell the 512 sticks and that i would have to buy myself one and fax them the receipt so that they can credit it to my account,like i am going to trust them to get that right lol.so after yet more arguing they suggested that i contact ericson and get them to sort it.trouble is that the 10 days wasted whilst waiting for the wrong stick to arrive and after all the phone calls,the flaming memory stick is outside of its 3 month warranty by 2 days.
ericson then told me to send it to fleet communications and hope that they will give me a couple of days grace over the warranty.
that was about 3 weeks ago now and i still havent heard a thing back.
absolute farce.
warrmr
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-01 21:01
i too am having MS problems. but this was caused randomly. i went to set my alarm on my phone at about midnight one night and it kept flashing up insert sim so after abotu 30 mins of fiddling abotu re inserting the sim numeros times it works. ( got the sim replaced the next day.) then wake up in morning and goto put on the MP3 player as its a bit to quiet in the cellar. and the phone cant read any files on the MS.

plug the MS into my card reader cant see it.
put it back in my phone and do the mem card test and it comes up unmounted.

so both my 512 and 128 sticks dont like my phone. but i can see my 16 and 32 stick.

codes are as follows

AX0536504162B ( 512MB card)
SDMSPC-32AA0507AJ (32 MB CARD)

sparkuk
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-06 18:58
I have faced exactly the same problem. My memory stick died when I connected the phone to the computer for the first time.

When I talked with O2, they said, "oh yes we will replace it" and they gave me a freepost address to send the faulty one back to them. After about an hour or so, an email arrived in my inbox saying they have despatched my order free of cost and it mentioned the memory stick is 256 MB. I immediately contacted them and they said thats all they can do and told me to contact customer support. I have now asked for the details of SE and sandisc to see if I can get it sorted. I have also sent a formal complaint letter to O2 to see if it has any effect. Otherwise I plan to go to the small claims court.

Rather unfortunate for someone who has been with O2 for more than 5 years.

The bottomline is, I will in future be very cautious of buying stuff from O2.
BlinkMe
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-15 18:36
I am experiencing the same problem 4 days after i bought the phone.

Is the card physicaly dead or is there some hope to recover files ?
offenderuk
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-15 23:40
My card has not died, only had my w800i four days. I updated to R1AA008 straight away after charging & that seemed to go fine.

However I do notice that in my windows XP event log I get the following errors:
the System Log:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 12/03/2006
Time: 17:53:05
User: N/A
Computer: P3000
Description:
An error was detected on device \\Device\\Harddisk1\\D during a paging operation.

Does this mean that the memory stick is likely to be faulty? All the files I transfer seem to get there and all play one, but I did find one that didn't match the size that it should have been (some bytes had been added).

Also a couple of times the drive has just completely disappeared from windows and about half the time when I try to safely disconnect using the icon in the task tray it says "generic device cannot be stopped right now".

My MS Duo card details:
SDMSPD-512
AX0511CS

Do people who have been regularly using the card get those messages in the event log? Is it a red herring or a sign of a bad card?
jazzyb88
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-05-09 14:10
I have seen a card with serial #: AX06048W. Do you think it will be safe to buy for my w800i? (Sandisk 2gb duo pro)

[ This Message was edited by: jazzyb88 on 2006-05-09 16:10 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi