Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > W800i Memory stick completely dead?

Author W800i Memory stick completely dead?
Hedis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 09:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yes the card was used one day with the old firm.
It´s true that it might affect the card.

Sounds strange. But strange thing´s have happend before.

Sjögren > Can you see which version of firm the was told to upgrade to?
R1AA008?

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-12 08:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-12 08:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-12 08:53 ]
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 09:40
Quote:

On 2006-01-12 09:21:01, Hedis wrote:
Yes the card was used one day with the old firm.
It´s true that it might affect the card.

Sounds strange. But strange thing´s have happend before.

Sjöberg> Can you see which version of firm the was told to upgrade to?
R1AA008?

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-12 08:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-12 08:36 ]

Sjögren accutually ^^ Cant rembmer what firm it had first but now it got R1AA008.

/J
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 18:46
Hedis> ^^

Still noone that got it worked out? Without sending to the service i mean...

/J
leenuss
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 23:22
Quote:

On 2006-01-12 09:10:34, Sjögren wrote:
FFS same thing happened to my w800i....but ive got a Sony Memorystick duo that broked...bought the phone from my brother in law(10 yearsgift on Ericsson), and he got a massmail on his work that it said that all the w800i needed to be flashed because the software would "kill" the memorystick...is there anyone that got it working manually = who didnt send it to service?

/Johan

PS. im a new member of Esato forum, great thing this^^ DS.

I got a new MemoryStick from my retailer (warranty). As the phone is new, I had no interest in sending it to service - as all needed was a firmware update and I could do that myself.
Get the USB Updater drivers and the SE Update Service software.
As you're swede...

...så länkade jag till svenska sidor.
Lycka till med telefonen! Hoppas att det löser sig
Min telefon funkar bra nu.
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-13 11:11
leenuss> Tack för länkarna^^ undrar ifall de blir sur på foumet ifall man pratar svenska, men för säkerhets skull tar jag de på engelska,
I've already done that, and my phone works well with other memorycards, but i think that the card were destroyed before i updated the firmware.
And about the retailer, as i wrote in the first post it was a gift from Ericsson when my brother in law celebrated 10 years there, but now im in östersund and the retalier is in Kista, and no retailer here will take the phone in, or will they? do i need to return to the EXACT store where it was sold, or can you just grab your stuff and bring it to any store?

/J
olw800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-15 15:10
Well Ive just come back from india and am wishing i stuck to old fashioned 3.2mm camera and film because like yourselves i have lost all pictures and videos, just these pics were of an amazin holiday and im peeeved right off that ive lost the lot. My card is also a

SDMSPD-512
AX0510BW

However unlike most of you I'm actually with O2 and after making one call to them they have agreed to send me a new 512MB card in the post tomorrow and also rather than just letting me upgrade the firmware they are going to send me a new phone.

So a sad note that I have lost all the pictures i had to inspire my memorys but Success in I am finally with a network who beleive the customer is always right and is willing to make sure the customer gets the service we are paying for.

O2 Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-16 13:33
Well good for you olw800
I called SE call center and they wanted me to send the card down to Stockholm, instead of just sending me a new little plastic peice of shit...i cant be that difficault..its complete bullshit that they are gonna try to repair it...they will just find a replacement card and send it to me...but i've would have saved approx a week if they could send a new card immediatly instead....ahh well...

/J
olw800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-16 17:19
Well it truly is a shame that not all companys provide a service to the same standards as o2.

When you all say that you have to post the card back to SE or even sandisk I am assuming you have to package the card in a bubblewrap envelope pay for poastage and insure the item for sending all yourself.

Seeing as the card is under warranty does this mean that sandisk or SE will compensate for any monies spent in returning the card? If not can't you just go to your nearest SE dealer with the proof of your contract (with whichever network provider you are with) and get a replacement over the counter?

@Sjogren, thanx. Indeed I am lucky o2 are so good. However it doesnt make up for the memories lost of such an inspiring trip......
Nobby
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-18 13:24
I had the same problem with my memory stick dying (4 times now).
I am now on my third w800i but I had to quote EU consumer law to Orange to get them to supply me replacement phones. Initially they tried to tell me it wasn't their problem and they always appear unaware that this has happened to anyone else but a quick google throws up this problem all over the place.

Anyway, its just happenned again and Orange have just told me they will send me another memory card but after 6 months I have to approach the manufacturer of the card for a replacement. I asked them to send me 4 or 5 but they wouldn't do that.

There is obviously a problem with the W800i blowing up the memory cards, It seems to happen when connecting to or disconnecting from a PC via the USB cable.
Sony Ericsson should sort it out and recall all the dodgy ones.
leenuss
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-18 19:56
You don't need replacement phones. Use the USB cable and update drivers to upgrade your W800 firmware.

It seems like the MemorySticks, that came along the latest generation of W800, are faulty. Orange should supply a MemoryStick PRO Duo that was NOT shipped with a W800. That's a way to solve the problem.

So ask for a blank RETAIL MemoryStick. I got mine in a SanDisk retailbox that said "Phone & PSP compatible". That MemoryStick is still working for me.

But remember, the phone won't accept a totally blank MemoryStick. If you, or a friend, has got a card reader, then use that to create the folder structure needed by the phone.

And in case anyone need the files and folder structure shipped with the original MemoryStick - I could mail them to you.
ilmostro
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-22 16:29
This has just struck my 2-month-old W800i as well. Phone doesn't recognise the card and won't switch on unless the card is removed. At least it's only the stupid memory stick and not the phone itself!

Hopefully o2 will give me a replacement under warranty, but I'm probably going to buy a 1Gb stick anyway. Worst thing is I've lost all the pictures and tunes (about 300Mb-worth) on the memory stick!

The card is a "SDMSPD-512" with serial AX0510BW, if thats any use to anyone...
kurgan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-23 00:16
same story here, card died within 12 hours of operation

now im updating the firmware...

odd SE is not more 'proactive' (god I hate that word) announcing the dire need of upgrading the phone :/
w800i_2006
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-26 10:10
Hi,
I just typed a big essay here then clicked submit and it said wrong password so now I have to start again I will do it briefly,

My memory card works on my viao pc as it has its own plugg to be plugged into, but my w800i doesnt even recognize it as inserted in to the phone.

Could this be a prob with the phone?

Please help before I go ranting down telephones to o2.

matt
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-27 18:02
Hi again!
Two weeks have now gone by since i shipped away my memorystick...no sign of it yet...maby they are melting up a new one^^
As i said before, whats the deal of sending a peice of plastic shit to service when it cost like nothing to make a new fully working one...and i dont see why any serivce is needed because its a known bug in w800i that the memorystick will crash if you have a old version of the firmware...
leenuss
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-28 21:12
Ey! Two weeks? For what? Go to your shop, start yelling if that's what it takes for them to replace your MemoryStick. They're 'causing you to wait for nothing. It's not like that old stick is gonna get repaired or somethin'.

Update your phone/firmware and ask your reseller "Where is my fresh retail replacement Memorystick?"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi