Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > W800i Memory stick completely dead?

Author W800i Memory stick completely dead?
Squelch
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-01 19:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
My 512MB Sandisk card died last night. I was editing a photo using photostudio 5, saved the image back to the card and got an i/o error.

I now cannot view the card, the w800i hangs when starting if the card is inserted.

I've tried low level formatting software (www.killdisk.com) but nothing works, the card cannot be seen by anything other than the disk management snap in. There is no partition information, I can't create a new partition nor can I format the card.

Oh and it's 3 weeks old.

I'm very unimpressed to hear that Orange will not replace it.

Can anyone recommend an alternative memory card to use?

*edit*

SDMSPD-512 AX0510BW is printed on the Sandisk card.

[ This Message was edited by: Squelch on 2006-01-01 18:45 ]
seguy
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-02 01:06
My sandisk card died within hours of using my new w800i. And all i used was a card reader for file transfers.
I love the phone, but that 512 meg card is junk. I replaced it with a genuine sony 256 meg card and all is well.
ghx
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-02 21:07
hi, first post.

I had the same problem with the memory stick, after 2 emails with sandisk support team i got one new card in warranty from them.

At the same time i wrote SE support team, i waiting for response. SE sucks.

SHT88
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-05 19:30
I've got the same problem did this happend because of a problem with the phone or the USB cable? or is it just a factory defect memory card? If i changethe card would it happend again? SDMSPD-512 AX0510BW
leenuss
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-08 11:41
It's a firmware bug! Update your W800 and get a new MemoryStick by warranty!
You'll need Windows (Mac users will need to ask a friend with a PC), the Updater drivers and the Updater software found at the SE website.

My first MemoryStick broke down 20 hours after buying the phone. I was just going to transfer camera pictures to the computer.
I called SE support, which agreed this was a known bug in the phone and that I should use the warranty. They told me there would be a firmware update available soon. (This was a month ago, and the update is available now.)

Thanks to SE warranty, I got the phone and the MemoryStick switched at my swedish reseller.
I haven't used the USB cable for file transferring since.
I got myself a Bluetooth adapter (Bluetooth is great!) and used that to backup all the files in the phone.

On Christmas Eve, the phone bug destroyed my MemoryStick again! Though I was not using the USB cable. Once again, I had to use my warranty.

My reseller gave me an empty SanDisk MemoryStick. This was fine, since I had made a backup of the file structure and all the files. I DID NOT put the 3rd MS into the phone. I used the MS card reader in our HP printer!
Then I updated the firmware of the phone. It's working fine since then.

After updating, I inserted my MS into the phone.
deusmacabre
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-08 17:18
Hello folks...

Am brand new here, but have had a similar problem with my w800i + memory card, and hopefully I can shed some light on whats happened.

I got my w800i on Friday 6th Jan, and within about 5 hours, the memory stick had corrupted, and wouldnt allow the phone to turn on while it was inserted, akin to some other users here. It also wouldnt be recognized by windows, and all the other problems which you have already read about.

Naturally, this wasnt ideal, so I got on the phone to orange, and was very insistent with them that this be resolved asap. They said that this was currently a very common problem, and that the fault was due to a bad batch of memory cards from Sandisk. I asked about the firmware problems, after having read about them here, and they put me through to the technical team who said that all firmware problems had been corrected, and that the phone wouldnt have to be returned. They also gave me a phone number for a company in London which is taking care of the memory cards, and that I should call them and they would sort it out for me.

After calling them, they confirmed that it was indeed a bad batch of memory cards, and that if I sent them my card they would replace it for me for no charge other than the recorded delivery which they requested it be sent by. I also asked about the firmware problems, and he said he knew nothing of it, as he had personally replaced literally hundreds of cards, and not one user had reported any problems with a replaced card.

The name of the company is Fleet Communications, and the phone number is:

The address I was given is:
Fleet Communications,
77 Avery Hill,
New Eltham,
SE9 2BJ

Ill be sending mine off tomorrow.

Hope this helps!!

Dave
Hedis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-09 07:21
Mine died after 3 days.

I was copying photos from the card thru phone (usb) when the folder got empty and the card dissapeared.

I have the latest firmware. (R1AA008)

Card info:
SDMSPD-512
AX0511BW

All the dead cards seems to be in the range of AX0510BW-AX0511BW?

Some card seems to have died using bluetooth, some card died in external card-readers. So I think it´s totally card-releated. Doesn´t seems to be any firmware problems.

The FW problems i have seen is that files dissapears when transfering. That´s fixed in R1AA008.

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-09 06:29 ]
taita
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-09 10:42
Hi guys
in the beginning of December, i have the same card problems. I did never use the USB cable. But one day, when while i´m using the card adaptor i did not made the "remove hardware with security"...and BANG the card died!.
The store replaced my all package, and not only the memory card.
Now, i´m only using the card adaptor, and ALWAYS USING THE "REMOVE HARWARE WITH SECURITY".
Now, using this procedure, í´ve copy, delete, move, etc, full MP3 albuns and phots, and so far so good, since a month ago.
Hedis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-09 11:29
I think it´s only a bad batch since cards have died in phones when using the camera.
DJBenson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-11 20:19
Got my W800i from o2 in December and had plenty of problems with them. Firstly they sent out thousands of faulty SIM cards during December, then my memory card dies taking loads of photo's with it.

Phoned o2 tonight and the guy told me to buy another card and fax him personally with the receipt but this concerns me slightly as I've battled with o2 before about things they said and later denied.

I might try the supplier above to see if they are handling returns from o2 customers as well as Orange.
maccad
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-11 20:30
I have a 1GB sandisk MS DUO pro card and when I transfer files to it they become corrupted, some files are fine but it is obvious that there have been transfer errors when you copy a large divx movie across to it and then back to your computer as the file wont play properly at all. This is done via card reader which seems to work fine with the original 64mb one i got with the k750 and i have also tried it on a different card reader.

Anyone know of any ways of rescuing the card rather than send it back.
Martyn1989
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-11 20:50
Gutted.

I thought I lost my card the other night. Luckily I never.
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 09:10
FFS same thing happened to my w800i....but ive got a Sony Memorystick duo that broked...bought the phone from my brother in law(10 yearsgift on Ericsson), and he got a massmail on his work that it said that all the w800i needed to be flashed because the software would "kill" the memorystick...is there anyone that got it working manually = who didnt send it to service?

/Johan

PS. im a new member of Esato forum, great thing this^^ DS.
Hedis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 09:10
Maccad> Maby it´s a bad firmware with bug´s in the phone?
Doesn´t sounds like the card is defect if it works fine in the card-reader.

Sjögren> Mine phone had the latest firmware and it killed also the card.

[ This Message was edited by: Hedis on 2006-01-12 08:12 ]
Sjögren
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 09:16
was the card used before upgrading firmware "i couldnt wait for the firmware upgrade so i started the phone with the memorystick in it, one and ahalf week later it broke down)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi