Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Why I now HATE S/E phones

Previous  123  Next
Author Why I now HATE S/E phones
ambyzown
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 12:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hmmm how could anyone be so unlucky with SE?

My condolences Appots,

Here's my suggestion, stay off the new SE's until they've been debugged.
Let go and let God
apotts
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 12:25
Yep, that was my logic with the K750 (I got it in Oct). I guess it's just bad luck that I get 2 bad ones in a row, and of course no decent support from O2.

The SESC confirmed it was normal for the shops to absolve responsibility as soon as possible, they said they get "very angry customers in here every day".

I have kept calm throughout all of this, and not shouted at anyone - I'm just saddened that my way out of the S700 has backfired so quickly.
ambyzown
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 13:08
Shouldn't there be some sort of warranty agreements between SE and operators for such "manufacturer defects"? afterall, these phones originated from SE. A six month replacement waranty would be ideal.
Let go and let God
bobby_splithead2000
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 13:36
All phones in the UK are covered for mechanical breakdown or technical fault for 12 months under the manufacturers warranty.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-22 14:21
I have been using ericsson and sony ericsson phones since 2000 and seem to have been lucky that I have never had a faulty one. Even the 2 S700i's that I had (sold one then regretted it so bought another) never had the resetting problem. The main reason I switched to SE was because I got fed up visiting the Nokia repair centre near me with 7110 and 6210's.
After being on Esato for a while it does seem that when an SE phone goes wrong it has been a trauma get them fixed, but then again we only hear the horror stories.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 14:59
I know how you feel. So far the only handsets I've ad no problems with are my T68i and O2 branded Z520i. Apart from those, all my previous phones have had to go in for on fault or more. Sometimes gone for 6 months.
Past 's have been T68i, T610, 2 T630's, P900, K700, 2 K500's, S700, K750, W800, Z520i
All with problems except for the above mentoned T68i and Z520i. Never had any problems with any of the Samsung phones I had and my I Mate Jam has now been bug/fault free for 3 weeks since buying it.
Hopefully it will stay that way.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
ambyzown
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 19:16
Quote:

On 2005-11-22 13:36:52, bobby_splithead2000 wrote:
All phones in the UK are covered for mechanical breakdown or technical fault for 12 months under the manufacturers warranty.

If this is so, then why has Apotts not been given a replacement? why do people have to go weeks without having the luxury of using the phone they paid for? I don't call that warranty.
If I buy a phone, and it malfunctions under warranty, I expect to be given a replacement immediately it is ascertained that the fault is not as a result of my carelessness.
Let go and let God
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-22 19:35
Uk law states that any item sold as new comes with a 12 month warrenty at least. If the item goes faulty within 2 weeks then you are entitles to a replacement. After 2 weeks it is the sellers option to replace the unit or get it repaired.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
apotts
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 19:40
With O2, you get 28 days for a replacement. And that's from the original phone - so in my case the replacement was faulty but I couldn't get it replaced. Outside 28 days it's a 3-4 weeks send it away job - though as I found with my S700 this can turn into many months.

Some people are laughing at my 3210 (found it in a box in the garage), but I reckon it has some kind of retro-chic to it!

I do have an enormous old ETACS Panasonic hand portable (the size and weight of a house brick), and I am considering putting the insides of the 3210 into it, just for fun!
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 19:49
Quote:
All I want is a phone that works. Never had any problems with the 4 Nokias, 1 Motorola, 2 Panasonics and NEC prior to this. 8 trips back to the shop or SESC. 12 weeks without the "new" phones I have paid for.

I'm sorry for your troubles but this last statement just seemed a bit odd - you've gone through 8 Different phones?! (Not to mention 2 SEs)
apotts
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 19:58
Yes, 8 phones since 1988. That's one every 2 years. Is that unusual?
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 20:17
very sad story mate. Have you ever considered a samsung ? Never had any problems with samsung phones, the samsung d600 is a nice phone you know.
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 20:36
Quote:

On 2005-11-22 09:52:46, sapporobaby wrote:

@Apotts.

...You are complaining about a problem that has been noted, reported, and repaired by SE...

...Second, the s700 did/does have some shielding issues that were/are causing them to still reboot...

...So your rants against SE are misguided...

Bit ambiguous, if you ask me. How is it possible for the problem to have been rectified when you yourself refer to the problem still occurring?

[ This Message was edited by: Kryptik on 2005-11-22 19:40 ]
apotts
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 00:03
Kryptic, I thought that but couldn't be bothered to argue. It still remains that my S700's and K750's have all failed to work, whatever he's done/reported.

Myagi, I did consider the D500 (my gf has one, and it works perfectly) but got sucked in once again by the promised features of the SE (and nice camera). I am stuck with the K750 until Oct 06, so I shall just keep sending it back until it works.
andymac183
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 16:32
@potts - sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with SE phones. I've exclusively used SE since 1999, always with O2, and I've had a couple of problems -
CMD-J5 - screen started to fade 3 months from new. Replaced it in the shop, no quibbles, same day.

2 years later after throwing money at o2 monthly for the privelage of using their network, they were 'kind' enough to let me upgrade to a Z600 for £80. (eh?)
So I went into the shop, and pointed out the one fact that to this date has earned my and my wife 7 free handsets. Why are existing customers expected to pay o2 for the privelage of an upgrade, when
a) They've had my money off me all year, and
b) By agreeing to an upgrade, I am also agreeing to stay with them for another year and be tied to a contract again.
SO if they think I'm paying for phones, they can (edit). The nice girl filled my hands with a new Z600, I left smiling. After sharing this story with my wife, she marched straight down to the shop, and got her freebie too.
Z600 - I still own this phone as well as my p910i. ONE DAY after my (un-insured) 'phone was out of warranty, it wouldn't turn on. Never been dropped or drowned. Took it into the shop where I was told about the warranty situation, couldn't beleive my luck. Was then told that the shiny new K700i was in, and that for a fee of £50, they'd let me upgrade.
Proceeded to turn crimson in the face of the aforementioned nice lady and pointed out facts a) and b) calmly. She then kindly handed my my new free K700i and the forms she said I needed to complete to insure the beast.
Went home and told the wife - she then went and got her freebie too.
3 weeks ago (wait - there's more) my wife gets a leaflet from o2, offering her £100 credit on her account, or a new phone for free - she's liking the look of that W550 thing, very nice. My leaflet is absent presumed missing. We both joined at the same time, and have always received the same mailshots.
So, reminded that I'm again due for an upgrade, and preparing myself for the yearly o2 Customer Service Tango, I pop into the shop. Nothing for free upgrade that takes my fancy in the shop (no surprise there) So I ask the Nice Helpful Girl. She offers me a couple of free phones, one of their 'x' phones, or a K700i. Oh dear. So I left, and went and looked on the o2 website. Bit more choice, liking the look of that new p910i, says on the website free to new customers. So, I pointed out points (a) and (b) above again, and my news off the website, and she said she couldnpt match the deal of a free p910i (to new customers) in the shop. It transpires that O2 ONLINE (Bought off website, billed online) is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to o2 High Street (bought in shop, bill mailed to you). I said 'eh?' again, and she suggestedI ring the o2 online people and discuss it with them.
So Basically, if I want a 910, I could either keep my contract, and pay £170 (!!!) or become a new customer, and get one online for free, on a 20 quid tariff.
So I called 'em. Before I could even get my professional complaining head on, the guy at the call centre said he would
a) Apologise
b) Get me a free phone
c) Swap me onto an o2 online tariff that was a fiver cheaper than muy high street one, with double the minutes.
He said I would have it in 3 working days, It arrived in two.

Moral of the story - get tough with o2, and vote with your feet. If you leave a high street store stating you're going over to orinj, they'll poo their pants.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi