Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@maryus51

Yes, it works with MSD
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-14 11:09
So folks, can I add the entry "More memory does not mean a sluggish phone" on the first page?
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
cletus141
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 01:02
Does size of card and High Speed (or Ultra II in Sandisk) have any relationship to phone operation speed and/or battery usage?

I thought that I'd read somewhere that the faster sticks eat less battery and I'm considering upping my 2gb Sony MS Pro Duo High Speed to a 4GB stick for my w800.

For the record, I've noticed no appreciable sluggishness in my phone since going to the 2GB from the 64 mB card I had.

Thanks,
chris
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-16 07:01
Quote:

On 2006-08-14 11:09:00, whizkidd wrote:
So folks, can I add the entry "More memory does not mean a sluggish phone" on the first page?

Do it
Julidzg
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 08:13
Does the 4gb mspd works on W800, 'cause i've read of anyone who has it on the phone. I'm thinking of buying one but i have to be shure it's going to work on my w800. Also i'd like to know the best online deals on a genuine 4gb MSPD
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 08:22
yes, it works on K750, W800, W810, P990 etc
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-16 19:31
Can we have concrete evidence on the fact that a larger memory stick/memory does not mean slower phone? I'm intrigued by this question..and does the amount of data filled in the card affect the sppeed as well? eg. a phone with 1GB card with 400 MB of data would be faster than a phonw with a 1GB card with say 700 MB filled?
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
cletus141
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 23:13
@Julidzg

do a google search for '4gb pro duo'. More specifically, do a Froogle search for it. I've seen 4gb sticks as low as 100 US. These were the regular speed, not the Sandisk Ulltra II or the Sony High Speed sticks. Pricegrabber.com will give you some good prices too. No gaurantees on some of these sticks not being fakes though. Ebay is even cheaper, but it's reported that 90% or more of those are fakes. I've even emailed two "powersellers" with 15.000 positive responses in the last month and 99% rating if they'd guarantee the authenticity of their cards and they haven't responded.

I'm thinking that I can get a 4GB Ultra II or High Speed authentic from a place like Buy.com or J&R Electronics or Tiger Direct for $140. Not sure if these are fakes or not, but retailers of their size have more to lose by selling fraudulent memory cards.

@Everyone else,

Anyone know if the faster cards eat less battery power?

thanks,
chris
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 02:44
Quote:

On 2006-08-16 19:31:00, whizkidd wrote:
Can we have concrete evidence on the fact that a larger memory stick/memory does not mean slower phone? I'm intrigued by this question..and does the amount of data filled in the card affect the sppeed as well? eg. a phone with 1GB card with 400 MB of data would be faster than a phonw with a 1GB card with say 700 MB filled?

I went from 64 to 256 to my current 512. I know it's nowhere near as large as the 4GB, but it is 8 times larger than the original 64MB card, and I can assure you the 512 card is just as fast in terms of file transfer as the 64.

I have noticed that accessing folders that have many files in them takes longer than if they only had a few. But I expect that is only because there are more songs on a larger card, not because the card access is slower. If a folder only has a few files in it it's just as quick to access as with the 64MB card.

Nevertheless it does indicate that it may take a few seconds to open a folder with 3GB of songs in it (due to the phone read speed), but if all your songs are in artist sub-folders you can avoid that issue.

But the phone itself is not slow with the 512 compared to the 64. There is absolutely no difference in any facet of phone performance other than the speed it takes to open folders with lot's of files in them.

Regarding the issue of if the card is full, likewise when my 512 is completely full, phone performance doesn't suffer in the slightest. This is not surprising, since the K750/W800 don't use the memory card for swap space so there would be no reason that the phone would slow down if no space is available.
Julidzg
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 08:54
I visited the oficial Sony webpage and they had the 4gb to sell, but not the high speed one, just the normal black MSPD, i wonder if it has been released yet or if all the 4gb high speed mspd are fakes. I also looked for it on ebay and they have very good prices, but there are a lot of High speed and with all the rumors of 90% of the ms sold there are fake, i dont know what to do. Do you think is it safe to buy on ebay, and even a High speed mspd. Please check on ebay and tell me what you think i should do.

If i buy the high speed one would i have any problem with music files, since it has the magicgate feature and for what i've read thats related with copyright protection.

[ This Message was edited by: Julidzg on 2006-08-17 08:24 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:34
no, magicgate applies to Sony's proprietary atrac codec only. Mp3, aac etc. will run fine.
cletus141
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 19:57
Jules,

Ebay has a guide about buying fake memory sticks:

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-[....]PageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SEARCH:4

It talks about your protection as a consumer and how to spot a fake. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra 50 bucks and get one from someplace like Buy.com, which MIGHT be able to guarantee authenticity, but as a good sized online retailer, wouldn't want to deal with claims of fraud. Although it sounds like you are reasonably protected on ebay, it seems like a hassle if you have to go down that road.

However, I did buy my 2GB Sony High Speed on ebay and have had absolutely no trouble with it in the 6 months i've had it. I've not determined whether or not it is a fake yet. Based on the ebay guide, I think that it is not fake, but i plan on sending it to sony to determine before I sell it with my w800 when I get a w810.

good luck,
chris
Julidzg
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 08:32
Thanks for the repplies. What i'd like to know now is if really there's a 4GB High Speed Memory Stick Pro Duo cause i haventeseen it officially (in the page of Sony), but on ebay there's a lot of 4gb HSMSPD so for what i think, all the 4GB HS are fakes, so if anyone knows if thats tru pls confirm it.
ianagui
Z530 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-22 08:11
anything issues reported about ms micro??
I am brazilian...
My english sucks! I know!
But at least im trying ^^
guillame
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-29 22:00
Hi All

New to this forum...to the sony ericsson...and to memory sticks in general....so please excuse my total ignorance. I've just upgraded to a 750i. The phone came with a 64MB memory stick in the phone and I've purchased a 256Mb Sony Pro Duo Stick. Problem:-

I've read enough to know that I nee to format the new stick before the phone will recognise it...but how? Cant find anywhere on the phone to do it and although my pc has a mem stick slot that recognises the 64MB card and what's on it when I slot that card in using the adapter, the pc wont recognise the new card. Is that 'cos it's not formatted? If so....it seems a bit of a 'chicken and egg' situation. How can I format the card?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic