123 ... 141516  Next
Author Memory Stick FAQ
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-18 10:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

MEMORY STICK FAQ

I have come across many people still asking about memory sticks and the confusion regarding memory sticks, memory stick duos, Memory stick pro and Memory Stick pro duos.
Here's an answer to some of your doubts in FAQ style. This has been compiled from various resources I came across on the Internet. Please do update me if you come across anything new that needs to be added here.

Hope this topic helps clear some long standing doubts.

Memory Stick General FAQs

Q1. What is Memory Stick?
A: Memory Stick is a removable flash memory card format, launched by Sony in October 1998, and is also used in general to describe the whole family of Memory Sticks.

Q2. What types of Memory Stick media are currently available?
A:The current types of Memory sticks are:

• Memory Stick
  • Memory Stick Duo (Used in P800, P900 and S700.)
  • Memory Stick Pro
  • Memory Stick Duo Pro or Pro Duo.(Used in newer phones like P910, K750 ,W800 and so on..)
  • Memory Stick Micro (Introduced in 2006)

Q3:Which brand of MS-Media should i buy?
A: As of now three brands namely Sony, Sandisk and Lexar make Ms-media.
This thread
Sony vs Sandisk should be of help in deciding what brand to choose.
Also see the Lexar Website for prices and more info.

Q4: What is the maximum storage capacity of memory stick and memory stick duos?
The maximum memory capacity supported by memory stick and memory stick duo is 128mb only.
Products supporting memory stick and memory stick duos only won't support newer higher capacities of memory stick pro and pro duo.
But do note that the older Memory Stick will work on newer devices which support pro duos since they are backward compatible.

Q5. What are the dimensions of Memory Stick media?
A: Standard-size Memory Stick media:
50.0 x 21.5 x 2.8mm (1.97x 0.85 x0.11 in).
Memory Stick Duo media:
31.0 x 20.0x 1.6mm (1.22 x 0.79x 0.06 in).
Memory Stick Micro:
15.0 mm (H) × 12.5 mm (W) × 1.2 mm (D)

Q6: What is Memory Stick media's access speed?
A: The maximum theoretical access speed of Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick (with MagicGate) media is 160Mbps. The actual speed may vary and is dependent upon the design of the host device.

Q7:. When was Memory Stick media first introduced?
A: The first shipment was made in October 1998.

Q8: Where can I obtain answers to questions regarding Memory Stick media?
A: Please contact the customer support center of the manufacturer or post in this thread itself.
Please check if your query has been already answered.
This is to avoid multiple threads discussing same stuff.

Q9:My PC only supports standard-size Memory Stick media. Is it possible to access data stored on Memory Stick Duo media?
A: By using a Memory Stick Duo adaptor, such as Sony's MSAC-M2 or MSAC-M2/O, Memory Stick Duo media can be used in PCs with standard-size Memory Stick media slots.

Q10:My computer does not have a Memory Stick slot. How can I copy data to my PC?
A: For Windows OS: Use a commercially available adaptor to enable the transfer of data. For all types of data, including music files, it is necessary to use a MagicGate-compatible device, such as Sony's MSAC-US30 Memory Stick USB reader/writer.
For Mac OS: Use an appropriate commercially available Memory Stick USB reader/writer.

Q11. How can I format (initialize) Memory Stick media?
A11. All Memory Stick media are pre-formatted for optimal performance before leaving the factory. You can use your newly purchased Memory Stick media immediately. If you wish to re-format a Memory Stick at a later date, follow the formatting directions for the device with which you are using Memory Stick media.

**Caution!!**
When re-formatting Memory Stick media, all previously stored data will be erased. To prevent the loss of valuable data, be sure to make back-up copies before re-formatting.

Q12. Can i "Defragment" my Memory stick?
A: This Thread might be of help regarding your doubts about defragmenting your MS-Media.
Thanks to our inhouse pc expert Cycovision!

Q13. Is the Memory Stick media capacity given on the package equal to the usable capacity?
A. No. Media capacity indicated on the packaging differs from actual usable capacity since a portion of the memory is used for data management file functions. (The minimum guaranteed capacity of Sony Memory Stick media is always specified on the back side of the packaging.) So don't be surprised if your 512mb Ms shows only around 460mb when you check it on a pc!

Q14. Can I put a label on Memory Stick media?
A. Standard-size Memory Stick media come supplied with labels. However, please do not put any labels or stickers on the smaller Duo-size Memory Stick media. It could come off when the Memory Stick Duo media is inserted into the slot of the host device or Memory Stick Duo adaptor.

MEMORY STICK PRO

Q1: What is Memory Stick PRO?
A: The original Memory Sticks were approximately the size and thickness of a stick of chewing gum, and came in sizes from 4 MB up to and including 128 MB. This size limitation became limiting fairly quickly.

The Memory Stick Pro would be the longer-lasting solution to this problem. Memory Stick Pros have a somewhat higher transfer speed and a maximum theoretical capacity of 32 GB. (As of June 2005 they are available in sizes up to 4 gigabytes.) High Speed Memory Stick Pros are available, and newer devices support this High Speed mode, allowing for faster file transfers. (Check This Thread to find out more about actual data transfer speeds with high speed and other memory stick media.)

All Memory Stick Pros larger than 1 GB support this High Speed mode, and High Speed Memory Stick Pros are backwards-compatible with devices that don't support the High Speed mode. High capacity memory sticks such as the 2 and 4 gigabyte versions are usually extremely expensive compared to other types of flash memory such as SD Cards and Compact Flash.

Q2. Is the Memory Stick PRO format a proprietary Sony technology?
A2. The Memory Stick PRO media format was developed jointly by SanDisk and Sony Corporation.

Q3. What is the access speed of Memory Stick PRO media?
A3. Memory Stick PRO (High Speed) media is designed to support access speeds up to 80Mbps. Also, a minimum write speed of 15Mbps* is specified (by the format) to allow real-time recording of high-quality moving images. Actual read and write speeds may vary and are dependent upon the combination of the compatible device and media used.

* When the host device supports a write speed of 15Mbps or higher.
SeeThis Thread too.

Q4. How much content can a 1GB Memory Stick PRO media hold?
A4. A single 1GB (940MB available) Memory Stick PRO media can contain any of the following examples.
  • 360 JPEG images with 5-megapixel quality (fine mode compression)
    = digital images equivalent to 10 rolls of film.
  • Approximately 24 minutes of DVD quality video
  • Approximately 460 minutes of MPEG4 (280Kbps) moving images

Actual figures may vary according to the recorded content and the device used for recording.
The Memory Stick capacity is composed of the actual usable capacity (user capacity) and system files.

Q5. Do Memory Stick PRO media work in all Memory Stick compatible products?

A5. Memory Stick PRO media can be used with Memory Stick PRO compatible devices only. PCs can accept this media through the use of a Memory Stick PRO compatible PC card adaptor or USB reader/writer. Compatibility with this media can also be implemented in products in some categories through firmware or software upgrades.

Q6. What will happen if a Memory Stick PRO media is inserted into a non-Memory Stick PRO compatible device?
A6. Depending on the hardware, an error message may appear.

MEMORY STICK (with Magic Gate)

Q1. What is Memory Stick (with MagicGate) media?
The MagicGate standard for Memory Sticks is an encryption system to allow music to be downloaded to the card and played back by an authorized device, but not shared. Certain standard Memory Stick and all Pro sticks are MagicGate compatible.

Q2. Which products can be used with Memory Stick (with MagicGate) media?
A2. Almost all Memory Stick-compatible products, including Memory Stick PRO compatible devices can be used with both standard- and Duo-size* Memory Stick (with MagicGate) media.

* Requires an adaptor for use in standard-size slots. Some products have media slots that can accommodate either standard- or Duo-size media without using an adaptor.

Links:
Wikipedia
Memory Stick Media Formats
Official FAQ Page
Sony's official Memory Stick Development site

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY ERRORS IN THIS FAQ (via pm) SO THAT I MAY CORRECT IT.
ALSO LET ME KNOW IF I'VE MISSED ANYTHING.

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: whizkidd on 2006-11-21 04:36 ]
Salisbury_Steak
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2005-11-18 11:04
Excellent post.
ehem. sticky. ehem...
SE Fanboy trying a Nokia...
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-18 11:26
Great job whizzkid! [addsig]
gothic_miloud
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-18 14:09
i got a memory stick pro duo 512MB for my SE K750i recently, but it won´t work.... the photne does not detect the memory stick, it keeps saying i dont have any memory stick in. please help, is there something i don´t know ?
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-21 17:14
Was it malfunctioning since the beginning or after you started using it?
I wonder if Ms-media are covered by warranty?
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
Salisbury_Steak
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 05:53
mem sticks SHOULD be covered by warranty. I have 6 months warranty on mine. Maybe you should bring it back to the shop where you bought it.
SE Fanboy trying a Nokia...
yofaye
P990
PM
Posted: 2005-11-30 04:20
It seems you know about memory...
please help me
regarding my problem I posted it on the forum. "1gb..insufficient for SEP910?"
I hope you'll find time to help me. I'll really would appreciate it.

Yes, it seems there are a lot of Filipinos here. I like it and I feel at home.

Thanks!
marlonski
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-12-01 20:02
Nice post mate
Xrob23X
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-12-21 16:45
u gt any help on the memory stick adapters as i do not know where to place the adapter in my k750i! any suggestions?
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-21 17:46
anyone know when the 4gb duo pro will be released?
bobsprout
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-12-21 18:46
"u gt any help on the memory stick adapters as i do not know where to place the adapter in my k750i! any suggestions?"

hahahaha, wedge it as hard as you can in the memory card slot.

or just realise that the adaptor goes into a card reader for pc use

baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-01-10 15:01
how does the psp branded ms duo pro compare with the oter models/brands? is it just like the regular sony ms duo pro?
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-11 04:04
Quote:
On 2006-01-10 15:01:24, baste07 wrote: how does the psp branded ms duo pro compare with the oter models/brands? is it just like the regular sony ms duo pro?

I guess the psp branded duos are no different from the ones used on other platforms.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-01-12 14:59
are they the same with highspeed pro duos? or just the regular ones?
mrao
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-02-11 13:14
methinks they're different...
t610 > k700i > p800 > p900 > p910 > k750i > I-mate Jam > Blokia 6681 > HTC Prophet > HTC Wizard & Nokia N73 > E71 > BB 9000 > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II & the Motorola Xoom
<br />
Still Shiny but not so n
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic