Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > SE how not to get errors in a f/w update (K750i/W800i&few others)

12  Next
Author SE how not to get errors in a f/w update (K750i/W800i&few others)
Leviath
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-20 23:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Besides the obvious SE say you need to comply fully with these requirments so you wont experience errors in a f/w update....

I think they should say all that in website but they dont.... just what they think we should know....

Since theire playing with our money we should know all the facts... SE you stink at Service...

The Full requirments accordindg to SE to use SEUS without errors are:

Quote:

- I have a PC with at least a Pentium 133 with 32 MB RAM or more - a Pentium II 233 with at least 64MB RAM is recommended

- The operating system on my PC is one of the following: Windows 2000 (SP3 or higher required) or XP (SP1 or higher required)

- I have installed the PC Suite on my PC - the PC Suite can be found on the CD that came with your product or on the http://www.sonyericsson.com/support.

- I have connected my USB-cable between the phone and the PC and installed Update Service USB driver - Drivers and install instructions are available on the http://www.sonyericsson.com/support

- My phone is turned on

- My device is fully charged and the charger cable is disconnected

If you get an error when using Sony Ericsson Update Service, it may be possible that you need to start the process all over. Some common reasons are listed below:

- The phone is not fully charged. Sony Ericsson Update Service cannot be used unless the phone is at least 50 percent charged.

- The phone is not switched off and properly inserted in the USB. If you have the charger connected to the USB, please disconnect it.

- Antivirus and firewall software are not switched off. They may interfere with Update Service.

- Make sure that this port is unchecked in PHONE CONNECTION LINK if you also own a Sony Ericsson P-series phone. Also while doing this; check that the port is not enabled in PHONE MONITOR OPTIONS from CONTROL PANEL.

- Try to uninstall the Java Virtual Machine from Sun Microsystems. Then download the latest Java version from Microsoft or the latest Java Virtual Machine from http://www.java.com.

-You have Pop up blocker software running on your system. This will also need to be disabled.

-You web browser privacy settings are set to high. Please set these to 'Medium' or 'Low'.

- It is also advisable to delete cookies and files from in your web browser's internet options

-Try USB in a different port.

If this can't be done via our website the update can be done at a Sony Ericsson approved service point. A Sony Ericsson approved service point is

Uk SE authorised service centers (SESC)....

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=106316

[ This Message was edited by: Leviath on 2005-10-21 09:35 ]
Gigs
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-20 23:29
Most of that is common sense stuff anyhow.
samreen
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-20 23:49
I don't think this is a common sense stuff instead of writing it in 'small print' they should emphasize on these points rather.
Leviath is right SE's service sucks
True love is a rare find so don't let it go once you get it by luck.
Gigs
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-21 01:34
um, most of those would be common sense tips by anyone trying to trouble shoot an internet or connection problem.

You're right, is completely to blame for NOT covering every possible base.

They also missed out:

* Make sure your motherboards chipset (usb) drivers are completely upto date

* Make sure your curtains are shut if your monitor faces a window that is in bright sunlight. (happened to me, I blame for not telling me this though)

* Make sure you are not talking on phone whilst driving, updating, playing playstation, cooking dinner, washing your hands, handling dangerous chemicals

and could we ever forget thair most glaring omission:

* Make sure you're actually using your phone and computer together at the same time, not trying to remotely link them with your mind, tv remotes, or other wireless means.

I'm sorry but most of the things they have suggest ARE common sense troubleshooting tips, the only one that isn't is:

- Make sure that this port is unchecked in PHONE CONNECTION LINK if you also own a Sony Ericsson P-series phone. Also while doing this; check that the port is not enabled in PHONE MONITOR OPTIONS from CONTROL PANEL.

The original post says you have to comply with these things to fully update, yet what has written there are suggestions

try another usb port
it is advisable to delete cookies...

etc etc..

But you're right, their service sucks, they should just spoonfeed us.

DHILLON
D750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-21 02:34
Hey frnds tell me the requirements for updating your soft/firmware. Is it cost some thing? Because i read in some fourms that after installing a software called TOTALMOBILESERVER you must buy credit from some site. And that credit cost 8or9£ for one chance. I wanna update my f500i. Because as it can't use mp3 files as ringtone and we can't check our pop3 mails using its default software. Some items like games and sounds are protected and these can't be delete. So pls help me in this matter.

This message was posted from a F500

Leviath
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-21 10:29
@DHILLON

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=73586#post977081

That topic discusses you mobile.

The requirements are here on this topic. So why ask again?

You other posts here

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=106677#post1461533

already in a totalmultiserver topic like discussion...

This topic is about requirements and a purely informative topic...

All info Posted here is a FACT since it is From SE support....

Comments are besides the point and diluting the Topic will not help anyone.

[ This Message was edited by: Leviath on 2005-10-21 09:32 ]
mamba
K600
PM
Posted: 2005-10-21 11:17
@Leviath, you forgot to include the final and most important tip just before the update..

It goes like this:

At the point where you're asked to unplug your phone, switch off and hold down "C".. Get on your knees, close your eyes and make a silent prayer to God asking for forgiveness of your sins and requesting that the process goes smoothly & most importantly, camera should work after the upgrade
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-22 04:10
amen..
mrcreativity
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-22 11:28
Amen brother
Anger
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-22 18:05
Quote:

On 2005-10-20 23:27:37, Leviath wrote:
Besides the obvious SE say you need to comply fully with these requirments so you wont experience errors in a f/w update.... etc. etc.

Well, I don't know you but I had to check all of them before proceeding with an update, so SE Service does not stink that much Lev
Leviath
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-22 18:38
right....

You will finfd most people will have SUN java installed... Wrong SE are adement on Microsofts java....

Antivirus, firewall and pop up blockers switched off are another of the requirements that SE doest request b4 update so I wpould sincerely reflect on those and other hidden requirement SE wont have a tick box for....

the proof is in the pudding....

and you guys puddings have errors and I am just trying to help.... dont want my help that fine too... [addsig]
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-23 11:42
I fully agree with Leviath that there are a great number of things that can affect the posibility to use the updateservice, and I highly appreciate Leviath attempt to clear some of them up for the non techy user in this thread, but I also have to agree with Gig

Most if not everything is common windows/computer knowledge, and installation of the K750 and the update service is pretty easy to use if you know your windows. I cant see S//E having to cover every litle possible way of error in their requirement list, as that list could keep growing for ever depending on each individual personal computer setup. No computersetups are alike and the amount of different software that nonknowledgeable people install on their computers without knowing the effect it has on there systems are virtually endless.

S//E cannot be held responsible for covering information of every single firewall software and every version of them that gets developed, or every single webbrowser/version, or every single popupblockersoftware/version, or every single java version, or evey single antivirussoftware/version, every single other devices attached that may hog ressources needed by the updateservice, etc. etc. etc.

No other software provider covers anything but the basic requirements, if any at all, in there requirement list when you buy software.

S//E provide microsoft certified drivers to windows update that ensures proper installation of the K750 simply by pluging in the K750 and let it autoinstall using windows update, they provide an update site covering the basic information needed on a CLEAN windows installation and information that you also need to install the special updatedriver.

If you have a clean windows installation, or know your installation and what you are doing, everything will work as described. Ive done it on hundreds of computers and never had any problems. But then I work with computers for a living and know what Im doing.

In short - to many people with no computer knowledge, services there computers themselves today, leaving the world flooded with unsecure poorly working computers, and millions of users complaining about this and that. And its never there own fault - doh

Morale is, if you dont know what you are doing, then dont do it.
That goes for the update service as well. Go to a servicecentre if you dont have the knowledge needed to use the updateservice or dont understand the requirements.
Dont blame S//E for your lack of general computerknowledge and/or lack of knowledge of how your own installation is configured and working.

Anger
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-23 12:42
Quote:

On 2005-10-22 18:38:32, Leviath wrote:
right....

You will finfd most people will have SUN java installed... Wrong SE are adement on Microsofts java....

Antivirus, firewall and pop up blockers switched off are another of the requirements that SE doest request b4 update so I wpould sincerely reflect on those and other hidden requirement SE wont have a tick box for....

the proof is in the pudding....

and you guys puddings have errors and I am just trying to help.... dont want my help that fine too...

Sorry Lev if you've read that on my post, I was just wondering if that list of requirements was shown for all of us, that's all.

Anyway I did close all my apps before make an update and I did a master reset after any update, so the problem it's not related to how you do your update but it's related to the update itself.

Anyway, Lev I really appreciate your help, so don't stop
Leviath
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-23 18:54
The words fully comply are mentioned in the original e-mail that I got from SE...

I do agree that are many more hidden requirements and if your OS is bogged down by a badly maintained PC (I bet a few users here dont even know what Hdd Defragmentation is) then the list is indeed a massive list...

Obviously it is and would be unfair to ask them to cover more than just the basics....

However it is and informative topic and I dont think pointing out how ridiculous it is helps anyone...

I point towards the least savvy users out there that when reading Gigs reply think the whole lot is a joke...

@Anger...

You know I just realised the limitations of this Topic...

A new one shall be created....

[addsig]
Calcutter
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-25 03:21
Dont shout at me, just kick me =/...

I have disabled my firewall, turned as many apps as possible off and still this whold thing isnt working, the only hing i havent got is Microsoft Java... which tbh i have never heard of i always thought it was sun java, could someone supply me with a link to "Microsoft Java?"

Please...

EDIT: I actually do have the right Java, my mistake, but still no firmware update, im just after new firmware to play videos at higher bitrate!

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Calcutter on 2005-10-25 02:25 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi