Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > MS Duo corruption problem with R1N035

Author MS Duo corruption problem with R1N035
CanOfGuiness
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-09 05:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Greetings.
Interesting thread, glad to see I'm not alone.

Got a new W800i yesterday and have been trying with varying degrees of success to transfer music to the Memory Stick

Anyway, I'm sure I must be missing the obvious, but where on the phone can I see what firmware it is using?

Also could someone give a make and model number for a card reader they are using with the kind of memory stick in a W800i?

I've looked at a few, they just list "Memory Stick" in their specs. does that include memory stick pro duo?

Cheers.
CanOfGuiness
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-09 06:20
Doh, apologies.
Just read the thread below this one
My firmware is R1N035.
louis85
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-10 11:39
The only problem with my K750 upgraded to w800 R1N035 is that when i send pic from my computer to the phone nothing else and music transfer is working just fine and its alot faster then its was with R1L or something.

this is the only Bug i have on this phone but i talked with SE in sweden

They said its a known problem and it will be fixed but they didnt say when

marvel2k5
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-13 18:33
As said in this thread: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=92737 , I've tried to activate the "Optimize for perfomance" option and so far so good, i have uploaded 2 entire mp3 albums without problems. U guys that try out plz report the results here...maybe its just luck again...
StuPC
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-13 21:59
"Optimising for Performance" did work for me for a while, but things have, if anything got worse now. I've spent literally hours trying to load just 5-6 albums onto my phone!
The only way I've found to reliably transfer files so far is to "eject" the drive between transferring each album (not just unplugging the phone from the PC, tell Windows to "Safely remove hardware", then unplug the phone, the plug it back in and transfer another folder.

It's a stupid way to have to do things but it's working...
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-14 11:37
I found the easiest way to deal with this problem (for now) is to buy a card reader. I picked one up today for 75RMB (about £5), and transferred over 90 songs onto my phone in one go, without any hitch at all.

Don't bother trying to find a Windows-based solution, just get a card reader!

[ This Message was edited by: shanespencer on 2005-11-14 10:38 ]
marvel2k5
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-15 19:09
the optimize for perfomance option did work very well for me, i didnt get corrupted files since i set that option... and as reported in the previous thread i mentioned, you have to set safely remove this hardware always before u disconect your device. By the way i really think to buy a card reader is not the best solution as u have to get your memory stick off every time u want to transfer a few files, and this is really a pain in the ass...
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-16 12:01
Quote:

On 2005-11-15 19:09:42, marvel2k5 wrote:
By the way i really think to buy a card reader is not the best solution as u have to get your memory stick off every time u want to transfer a few files, and this is really a pain in the ass...

I agree that it's troublesome, taking the card out, putting it into the adapter, sticking the adapter into the reader and then inserting the reader into the PC, but the day before I got my reader, I transferred those 90 songs onto my phone, and that took me an hour. Once they were on, I found that half of them would only play half way, and then the walkman would exit - they were corrupted.

Putting the 90-odd songs onto the card using the reader took about 80 seconds. In the long run, it saved me a lot of time, and gave me peace of mind.

However, to each their own, I guess. I like using the reader, because I don't mind putting in an extra 30 seconds of effort if it means I'll have my files on my phone first time - guaranteed.
quietfool
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-17 20:13
I have an integral card reader in my laptop, which recognises the card just fine but when I try to transfer music - same problem as via usb. Perhaps someone can suggest a specific reason for this, but if not I'm loath to buy a separate card reader in case I'm throwing money after the same problem. I've also been through the farce that is SE support, and got a number of emails trying to imply that they've never heard of the problem, and that it must be something to do with the way I'm operating my computer. Increasingly unimpressed.
antimon
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-17 23:29
Quote:

On 2005-11-16 12:01:05, shanespencer wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-11-15 19:09:42, marvel2k5 wrote:
By the way i really think to buy a card reader is not the best solution as u have to get your memory stick off every time u want to transfer a few files, and this is really a pain in the ass...

I agree that it's troublesome, taking the card out, putting it into the adapter, sticking the adapter into the reader and then inserting the reader into the PC, but the day before I got my reader, I transferred those 90 songs onto my phone, and that took me an hour. Once they were on, I found that half of them would only play half way, and then the walkman would exit - they were corrupted.

Putting the 90-odd songs onto the card using the reader took about 80 seconds. In the long run, it saved me a lot of time, and gave me peace of mind.

However, to each their own, I guess. I like using the reader, because I don't mind putting in an extra 30 seconds of effort if it means I'll have my files on my phone first time - guaranteed.

I use a card reader too but i do concern about damaging that card slot cover of phone. But it is really faster.
jfunk
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 20:25
Glad theres an easy solution.

But is anyone still suffering the original problem even with the Optimize for perfomance option selected?
andyandy
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 20:54
Yep, memory stick becomes unusable when I select optimize for performance - Windows struggles to read it at all.
jfunk
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 21:55
Quote:

On 2005-11-20 20:54:21, andyandy wrote:
Yep, memory stick becomes unusable when I select optimize for performance - Windows struggles to read it at all.

Well I went for it anyway/

Didnt have that trouble, but it did slow my computer right down even with 768 Meg of RAM!
marvel2k5
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-21 03:25
i still didnt have any corruption problems since i activated the 'optimize for performance'... thank god!!!
quietfool
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 15:52
Hopefully a bit of good news for anyone getting close to hurling their w800i out the window...having shuttlecocked many emails back and forth to SE customer services, who at first reacted as if they didn't know what I was talking about, I finally got this reply. Just hope it is proved sincere!

----------------
Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, there will be an update released through the Sony Ericsson Update Service in two weeks which will resolve this issue. The Update Service can be found in the Support/Software Downloads section of our website at www.sonyericsson.com
We apologise for the delay in dealing with your enquiry and for the inconvenience caused.
----------------
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic