Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > MS Duo corruption problem with R1N035

Author MS Duo corruption problem with R1N035
Leviath
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-25 00:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
this is what we all been trying to get to...

maybe it is not as simple as a common denominator...

I remember a that if you work your way backwards from what isnt causing the issues, what your left in the end is probably most likely the cause... [addsig]
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-25 00:12
true, many problems are not solved by actually focusing specifically on the problem, but by exclusion methodic where you exclude all the things that cannot be causing the problem, untill your left with only one thing.
soleruk
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-25 01:27
updates or not,i still have that problems
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-25 10:15
I know this is a long shot, but if write caching has been enabled on the drive assigned to the phone cable connection it could possibly cause problems such as this.....maybe the peeps with problems all have write caching enabled? (long shot I know, but worth mentioning)
cloroforme
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 01:54
one of the times windows said something wrong about caching. how to disable this?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-26 08:18
go into the properties of the drive in device manager. Click the policies tab and untick the write cache checkbox.
poshea
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 08:45
I doubt this is a PC configuration issue. I expereince the same file coruption on my Mac Powerbook running OSX 10.4.2 My unbranded phone came with R1L002. I transfered files for a few weeks to my 1G Sony Memory Stick on my mac using the bundled USB cable without a hitch. Since updating to R1N035 on the SE site on a PC @ work - I have been unable to transfer files without problems - even after format and factory reset.
Olga
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 09:25
I have the same thing with Fedora Core 4. Before updating, transferring files was not a problem and everything went just like it should but not anymore.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 11:17
I doubt it Max.

My phone was fine for the first month on the latest firmware. Then suddenly one day all my files were unplayable.

This is a very annoying bug. If it takes SE another 2 months to pull their finger out and fix it, they'll probably lose my custom to Nokia or Samsung forever.

They screwed us around with the video bitrate for 3 months, im not prepared to have to wait another 2-3 months for this to be fixed. This is a major problem IMO, which affects the Walkman functionality of the W800i aswel, which again IMO is just not acceptable.

If it does take them 3 months to release new firmware, thats 6 months of phone usage we've lost (3 months camera, 3 months file corruption). The average phone life span before people update their phone is 8 months.

That leaves us with 2 months of proper phone problem free usage. Thats not acceptable for a phone so expensive as the K750i !
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-26 11:37
@etaab
I totaly agree with you.
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-26 15:16
etaab, yeah I didn't think it was likely just mentioned it incase.

I feel for ya, and your R1N probs. I'd be equally pissed, allthough the cable probs would have had me returning the phone to have R1L put back. Basically in my view if the camera doesn't work and/or the usb cable doesn't work, that's not performing as advertised. I'd make them replace the handset until I get one that works.

Hopefully SE will get onto this R1N stuff-up soon. They've already pulled R1N from SEUS, then put it back with nothing fixed. Hopefully they'll do better next time.

I'm keen to get R1N for the bluetooth ask once permissions, but I've been holding off after seeing the probs that eventuated with R1N.
drj
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 17:27
I too have had problems, but they seem a little different. I have a sandisk 1g card that works in the phone but when I try to use a card reader(since I hate the USB connection with the phone that constantly drops, or takes five tries to connect) it freezes my computer. I cannot even get to a point where I could see what data is on the card. Dispite this I am still able to listen to MP3 files in the phone. Does anyone know what the deal is?
OliT
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 20:32
Using the 512Mb Sandisk card that came with my phone and the USB cable, running on a XP2500+, Nforce2 Ultra-400, newest chipset drivers and SP1, using standard drag & drop transfer and Disk2Phone I was unable to make more than 6 songs end up on the phone from ~460Mb of material that was supposed to be transferred. The transfer took 25 minutes with D2P and it confirmed it as done, I used the safe removal and removed the cable, only to find that 420Mb was still free on the card. It seems like it managed to transfer the first 6-something songs in the transfer list. No warnings occured in the system logbook. I did notice that D2P seemed to start from 50% on the songs that it couldn't transfer, shortly after finishing the last song.
OliT
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 21:53
Update: Tried transferring another 6 songs to the phone, Only 1 actually made it to the phone, however 5 other songs now appeared, all of them transferred at a previous time, when 6 songs showed up. This problem is really interesting, the songs actually being present on the phone, just not showing up, appearing when a new batch is sent.

Edit: Been transferring batches of 6 songs for a while now, using safe removal between the batches and checking in the walkman player if they showed up, it seems like they all manage to make it on to the phone.

Edit2: It seems as if songs starting with the number 09 gets their tags corrupted, in two separate albums/batches the songs numbered 09 refuses to show the tag in the playlist.

Edit3: Tried transferring two batches of 7 songs, one failed (4 making it to the phone), second one worked.

Edit4: Batches of 6, drag and drop, safe removal between the batches, 100% success rate. More than 6 and it becomes random (as far as I can see, haven't performed enough testing yet, will continue tomorrow) which songs, and how many that actually end up on the card.

Edit5: The errors only seem to occur due to a too large number of files, the amount of data doesn't seem to be involved, I transferred batches from around 20 mb up to batches of 70-80 mb.

[ This Message was edited by: OliT on 2005-10-27 21:53 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-28 01:46
interesting test results there OliT.

This is definately an incarnation of the R1N usb transfer bug.

@drj, your problem sounds like a corrupt memory card (reformat it using the phone and retest). However the fact your usb cable connection crashes may also indicate you have the R1N bug as well. I'd format the card then retest the cable connection - it may be okay if the problem is just with the card.

Definitely format that card or try another one before writing off the phone.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic