Esato

Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > Broadband Philippines (airnet)

Author Broadband Philippines (airnet)
cabuyao
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-10 00:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.broadbandphilippines.com/
jaydominic
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-15 02:40
Finally! Some useful information!

I just got my unit. Signal's pretty decent from our shop. Now i'm trying to get an Internet connection using my laptop. Need some help though...

I installed the driver from the CD that came with the unit and rebooted the laptop. I connected the data cable to the phone, connected it to the USB port and WinXP detected the modem (Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM). I followed the instructions in the PDF file on the CD and it said it needs a driver disk for the modem. Searched the whole CD for any driver files (*.inf and such) but still no luck. Went to the ZTE and Qualcomm sites to look for drivers but no dice either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-15 02:49
Should be plug and play.

Guys, is it true that the the units are now being locked to a particular station so you can't roam anymore? I hear they're only allowing roaming for dealers only.
jaydominic
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-15 03:06
We'll, I dunno if it's plug and play, but it keeps on asking for a modem driver everytime I reboot the laptop with the phone unit connected.

Driver software download links anyone?
jaydominic
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-15 03:32
Bingo! Found the dang drivers...

The cd that came with my phone had an .EXE file that installed the driver software in the following location on my laptop:

C:\Program Files\ZTE\ZTE_USBdriver

You'll find the drivers for Win2k/XP or Win98/ME inside their respective folders in the location above. Why I didn't bother to look for the drivers there in the first place is probably due to... not eating breakfast... hehehe...

Sorry, just couldn't wait for the BBP guys to come and set it up for me. Too impatient I guess... Anyway, hope this helps the DIY people out there...
bladepact
V800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 18:30
Hi does anyone know current pricing of ZTE desktop, their website is currently down, or any contact number maybe of bbp?

Thanks
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-14 05:12
call them at 893-6868
dlreyes
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-02-16 20:49
Recent developments:

1. Fixed wireless: No available units left but they are accepting reservations for the next batch. Service would be on a first come first served basis.

2. Mobile units: They have finally decided to scrap the ZTE100 and have ordered colored Nokia models. According to our source there would be 3 units to choose from, each having different features (from basic to camera phone). But the problem again is they would not want to commit when it would be available.

3. Data only EVDO pcmcia cards are now available for subscription.
My review of the EVDO service of Broadband Philippines could be found at http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=105408&start=405

[ This Message was edited by: dlreyes on 2006-02-16 19:50 ]
dlreyes
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 02:44
Multimedia Telephony Inc (Broadband Philippines) has sent letters to their subscribers informing them of the area lock of FWTs within a 500 meter radius of their cellsite based on the subscriber's billing address or amended address.

The area lock would be effective September 1, 2006.

One is requested to fill out an "Amendment to the Service Agreement" where details of the location of the FWT would be indicated.

In my case, I will not sign anything as it is a breach of Agreement on their end if they lock our units to just one cellsite. They are in effect forcing us to agree to their NEW conditions contrary to how it was initially marketed and positioned
boybits
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-04 21:34
Hi Guys!

My names Rovi and I'm a Sales Coordinator of Broadband Philippines. I was searching pages in the Philippines regarding CDMA and bumped into your forum. Nice discussion. Just wanted to join and correct some notions about our company and our products which is the FWT wireless landline and EVDO WiFi Internet. For any questions, just post it here and I'd be glad to reply to them. Or you could also YM me, my Yahoo Messenger id is diamondbits. If ever you also want to get one, I'd be more than glad to assist you, especially with our Personal Broadband Service which is truly WiFi. The FWT landline unit & PCMCIA card already comes with the service subscription and doesn't have any monthly rentals. And as for the WiFi Broadband PCMCIA card, just connect it to your laptop and you instantly have internet connection in 80% of Metro Manila with speeds averaging 300-700Kbps but your max burstible is around 1.4-1.5Mbps. Thanks!

dlreyes
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-09-05 12:20
Hi Boybits... my review of your EVDO service came out of the July issue of PC Magazine (Philippine Edition). I've been commenting on your service eversince you started offering CDMA2000 in the Philippines and unfortunately because of your company's poor services, I decided to terminate my subscription.

I do hope your superiors would be more responsive to the needs of your subscribers.

The following is a copy of my letter:

August 25, 2006

Broadband Philippines
UMC Financing Building
106 Esteban Street, Legazpi Village
1223 Makati City

Attention: Mianne C. Aubry
AVP Customer Care

Subject : Sector Lock of FWT Service

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your fax of August 22, 2006 (copy attached) regarding your explanation on the Metro Point Service Sector Locking.

Though I may agree with you that the FWT Service was really meant to be “Sector Locked”, we may have differences to the definition of the mentioned term. I maintain as with other CDMA2000 providers like Digitel’s MANGO, Bayantel’s SPAN and Globe’s Speak N Surf that Sector pertains to Metro Manila as one large sector and not a particular cellsite as you claim.

This being the case I would like to terminate my subscription for the following reasons:

1. MTI’s redefining Sector lock to mean a particular cellsite instead of the industry standard Metro Manila;

2. MTI’s failure to interconnect with other telcos like Bayantel, Globe, Smart and Sun despite initially being interconnected with them;

3. MTI’s problematic system of reconciling payments made by subscribers;

4. MTI’s “always late” delivery of the Statement of Accounts.

I now regret that despite my constant concern for your services to improve, nothing was done in the many months that transpired for your company to have a competitive advantage over the other telcos which came later on to offer similar services.

Thank you for this opportunity to air my side.

Yours truly,

(name)
Account No. 1717000xxx
Telephone No. 610xxxx

Encl: your fax of August 22, 2006

[ This Message was edited by: dlreyes on 2006-09-05 11:20 ]
boybits
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-07 22:36
Hey dlreyes!

My sentiments exactly! Actually, to clarify things, I'm not an employee of Broadband Philippines. I'm what you call a Sales Coordinator, like a distributor. Since I strated with Broadband, that's what we SCs have been trying to tell them, especially with their billing and payment scheme. But last Saturday in our meeting, there were some major developments which I'd like to share with you guys.

First and foremeost, let me differentiate the EVDO service with the FWT service. What you were reffering to was the FWT which is the Wireless Landline. When the company started with this one back in October last year, the company really wanted to market it as an FWT (fixed wireless telephone). And when they say "fixed", they reffer to it as the device being used in just a cdertain location. Although it is wifi, since the unit is big in itself, it's very impractical and some would even consider it embarassing to bring. But what happened was ... the resellers marketed it a different way, a phone that you can bring anywhere in Metro Manila. The reason why Broadband didn't want it this way was because the new that there were still parts of the Metropolis which wasn't covered, and would result in no signal. But because of the eagerness of the resellers to sell, they misrepresented it just to make a buck or two. And that is the reason why Broadband now has a Service Area Lock, as a safety precaution that if you bring the phone where there's no signal, they won't be held liable coz in the first place, it should be used where you applied it for.

The good thing about it though is that by November, they'll be coming out with their handheld versions in the form of Nokia, Motorolla and Bird. this is also the reason why the ZTE red unit has a service area lock, because there should be a difference with being a fixed unit, and having a mobile one. When the mobiles come out, around 100 additional towers/sites will be in place so as to assure hopefully total signal coverage of Metro Manila. They'll also be coming out with prepaid subscriptions, different packages for the landlines for different needs, PTT devices (Push To Talk), and other services.

As for the EVDO, this service naman is the true WiFi Personal Broadband Service of Broadband Philippines. This is a Novatel PCMCIA card which you use with your laptop so as for you to be able to connect to the internet at broadband speed wherever you are in Mtero Manila (following the network footprint of the company). This means that even while traversing EDSA, in Luneta, or just eating at Mcdo, you still have internet connection with average speeds of around 300-700Kbps. But if you're near one of the towers of Broadband, chances are you'll have burstible speeds of around 1.4Mbps. And it costs much less than PLDT We Roam or Globe HSDPA (which Globe only provides for Corporate Accounts) for the the speed and mobility that it offers.

Hope this clarifies some things. If you or anyone is interested to see these products, just email or YM me and I'd be more than glad to demo them for you.

Thanks again and more power to us all!
dlreyes
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-09-08 04:13
Thanks boybits for the reply but let me clarify some things first...

1. I have seen how Broadband Philippines and their companies Multimedia Telephony, Inc. (MTI) and brand names Airnet (for EVDO) were marketed as I probably have studied the company and their services even before most of their people have been employed. (you can check the history of this thread on how we were updated with MTI and Airnet's services. A lot of their employees even referred to this thread for information for lack of an official website)

2. MTI used to be interconnected with Globe and Smart and it was possible to call them up BEFORE.

3. It WAS possible to send text messages to Globe and Smart BEFORE.

4. Unless one faxes the deposit slip to MTI, there is no way that MTI would know that payment has been made... very crude and stoneage ways. In fact, it has been 3 weeks already that I faxed my deposit slip but MTI's record HAS NOT been updated up to this writing.

5. The size of the unit was one to contend with. Though the larger ones were meant to be fixed in a location because of size considerations, it was not meant to be carried around BUT could be transferred to one location to another within the area concerned, in which case, MetroManila.

As I mentioned, look at the industry standard.... Globe's Speak N Surf, Digitel's MANGO, Bayantel's SPAN... all of them treat MetroManila as one big sector.

The absense of service in other areas other than his billing address is a risk the subscriber has to take in their subscription but the important thing is that there is service AT LEAST in the area where he is based.

6. Your service is NOT Wifi (or at least what is commonly known as wifi using 2.4Ghz) it is CDMA2000 for voice with data implementation of 1xrtt and the faster EVDO.

7. Despite close to a year of being a subscriber, MTI HAS NOT improved their delivery of Statement of Accounts... it is always 2 MONTHS late. They knew of this problem in the past yet they REFUSE to change their courier service... very suspicious....

8. Mobile service was being offered before... in fact the unit was the ZTE100 which did not work well with MTI but was ok with other networks.

With so many problems I wish you luck in trying to address these. I had high hopes with this company but my patience has run dry as I could see no effort at all in trying to improve their services... instead of adding more features, the opposite happened.
boybits
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-26 08:35
Hi dlreyes!

Sorry for not having replied sooner. Been pretty busy with my distribution and domain name registration business. Anyway, everything you have said is true. Broadband Philippines really needs to improve greatly on many things. I just like to shed some light on some things so the other members can also know what's been happening around.

Firstly, with regards to the interconnection with Globe and Smart, it's true that before, you could call and text those networks when the company started distribution of the ZTEs. The only problem back then was, it wasn't really legal yet. Although the lines were open because of the ruling of NTC that you can't disallow a telecom from interconnecting with you, the appropriate papers and agreement wasn't there yet, no MOA or anything. So as to not violate any laws, Broadband Philippines complied with rules first, disallowed interconnection with Globe and Smart so as not to be charged any legal infringements.

With regards to the delivery of the billing statements and posting of payments in the bank, that I'm also very not satisfied with. Even me, my bills are delivered 2 months late and whenever I pay, it takes a month or 2 before the bank posts it with Broadband Philippines. They really really need to improve on this one, otherwise most of their clients could really be fed up with having to go to the bank, faxing their deposit slip and having to confirm it with them pa. Although they're saying that soon, we could pay our bills at any Bayad Center, that still remains to be seen.

And with regards to the unit naman and the sectorization of the FWT, as I mentioned before, as a businessman, I don't think you can position 2 different products (FWT & Mobile handsets) in one field. 'Coz then, they would just compete with each other. The FWT, as big as it is, was really designed to be in a fixed location, although it is wireless, unlike the regular landlines that we have. Kaya nga FWT ang pangalan niya, Fixed Wireless Terminal or Telephone. This is a great advantage to people especially living in buildings or condos, 'coz with this, no need to drill holes on the wall or install lines in the room. All you have to do is turn the unit on wherever you place it and that's it. And that's why, when the mobile unit comes this October or November, there really should be a difference from the FWT package, in which the mobile, being a mobile phone, dapat you could bring it anywhere in Metro Manila. But as for the FWT, big as it is, dapat, nasa isang position lang siya. Simple solution, if you like to bring your FWT landline within Metro Manila, then just have it changed to the mobile handset, hindi pa hassle bitbitin. And with this coming out in late October, interconnection with Globe, Globelines and Smart is sure already, kasi dapat makakapag-text na rin tayo with them diba.

Siguro, the reason why Digitel Mango, Bayantel Span and Globe Speak n' Surf treat Metro Manila as one sector right now is because . . . they still have very limited coverage as of the moment. When it comes to coverage, I'm sure that right now, Broadband Philippines still has the widest one in Metro Manila. And with deploying 100 more towers in the next months to come, I'm sure that it would be hard for them to catch up, although I'm not saying that it's not possible. Pera lang naman ang pinag-uusapan sa ganyan eh. Another thing regarding interconnection by Digitel, Bayantel and Globe with other telcos . . . remember, before this 3 companies even started to have a wireless landline service like Broadband Philippines, they were already interconnected with the other telcos. That's why when they started with their wireless landline service, it wasn't a problem for them anymore. But with Broadband Philippines, being a new kid on the block boasting CDMA network, siyempre if you're the competitor, pahihirapan mo muna yung bagong player sa industry to make sure na hindi niya makukuha yung "piece ng pie mo" sa playing field niyo. Pero siyempre everything with also come into place for Broadband Philippines, just like what happened to Bayantel, Globe, Smart, Sun and the other telcos in the industry.

And lastly, with my use of the term "WIFI" for our internet service, again you are correct. WIFI and CDMA (which Broadband Philippines currently use) are two very different things. As defined here, (WIreless-FIdelity) a logo from the Wi-Fi Alliance that certifies network devices comply with the IEEE 802.11 wireless Ethernet standard. In the early 2000s, Wi-Fi/802.11 became widely used, and within a short time, all laptops and other handheld devices came with Wi-Fi built in. Earlier laptops could be Wi-Fi enabled by plugging in a Wi-Fi PC Card. As to the one being used by Broadband Philippines which is CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) upgraded to EVDO (Evolution Data Only) 3G EV-DO delivers average speeds of 300 to 500 Kbps, although it promises speeds up to 2.4 Mbps. The reason why I used the term WIFI was because here in the Philippines, people understand WIFI in layman's terms as "wireless" or "roaming", not really what it actually means.

Hope I've shed some light on some matters and I hope that you still give the services another chance 'coz they really are very promising, especially the EVDO Internet Access. Actually, because of this forum, I already have a few clients that ordered the Internet Service. And to date, all of them are satisfied naman. Hope you could try it out one of these days too.

For inquiries, just continue to email or add me to your YM at diamondbits@yahoo.com and I'd be glad to demo it to you. Regards to everyone!
dlreyes
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-12-11 01:23
Up to this writing, my payment made last February has not been posted yet despite my fax to their office at least 7 times already with their confirmation of receipt and my messenger hand carrying copy of the deposit slip duly signed and officially received by their office.

A person from Broadband Philippines called me 2 weeks ago asking for the ESN of my phone and all I did was just laugh as it only confirmed that their records are a mess.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic