Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > htc wizard or htc universal?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author htc wizard or htc universal?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 12:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
ok, I now have both in my hot little hands and I'm still completely and utterly undecided... this is gonna be a long weekend!

I'm a little dissapointed that I had not noticed that the numeric row shares the top row of the alpha keyboard, i.e. the digits are placed as shift keys above the qwertyuiop

the stylus is interesting and caught me by surprise when I pulled it out of the k-jam. it was short and stubby compared to the stylus of the jasjar

but then I realised they wouldn't do that so I pulled it from each end and sure enough it is telescopic

irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 12:52
time enough yet to make a decision masseur.........the vultures are a lurking
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 13:06
I've actually made my mind this week after actual usage of both devices in a kind of parallel test.

while the JasJar is the one I really would like to keep, the k-jam is the winner of my requirements.

The 3g in the JasJar was a good feature but I have found that vodafone availability of 3g on my usual daily routes is weak and unreliable and using the GPRS on the k-jam next to the 3g on the JasJar for doing simple email, html light on esato and other simple activities shows very little difference at all. 3G might be better and faster for larger volumes of data but for web browsing I am happy with the k-jam performance. Also, I never do video calling.

The JasJar keyboard is far superior to that of the k-jam but I have rarely used a keyboard on such a device. I did try Compaqs offering for the ipaqs but never wanted to carry them around with me so always sold them off. However, I noted all my use of the keyboard on both devices and found that it was around 20% of my total time using the devices.

Finally, I have always had a dislike of larger devices as I firmly believe that we must be comfortable carrying the devices we use in most of our daily situations. I did try very hard to live with the JasJar but found there were many situations where it was just getting in the way as its not the kind of device you can easily hang on your belt.

So, despite my overall preference being for the JasJar, the k-jam wins because it provides almost most that the JasJar offers but in a much more convenient package allowing me to use it in many more situations and also discreetly.
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-09 17:40
and the asking price is now reduced to ????...............lol
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-09 23:50
@Masseur, any idea what the squared off version of the K-Jam is called - its still an HTC Wizard - but the edges of the device is sqaured and silver case. Any idea what brand name it'll be offered under?
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 12:40
@MASSEUR
as you have been patient with my silly questions can you forgive my ignorance in 2 more:
it says on expansys that the k-jam has wifi?
and if the major feature i want is to access my internet router at home through either of the two(jas-jar or k-jam)-without paying gprs charges will it not be wiser for me to go with the cheaper of the two?

will try to be less basic in future with my q's
thanks
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 12:58
two things come to mind here if that is your requirement.

Firstly, the jasjar clearly has a larger screen that the k-jam so that might be a factor.

Also, the K-kam supports the faster 802.11g (as well as 802.11b) whereas the jasjar only supports 802.11b

hope that helps
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 14:43
@ masseur
it does help thanks i can live without the slight difference in screen screen size as the price difference is enormous....but both would do the job of connecting to the router ........my p910 is terrible through bluetooth......even opera wont open without trying to connect through my phone
THANKS MASSEUR ur a gentleman......may just have saved myself unneccesary expnase
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-18 15:41
Masseur
Loved your full review on both products. Is the K-JAM available on networks under their own name-like you showed me for the JASJAR on Orange?
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-23 00:12
http://www.phones2udirect.co.[....]354/NetworkID/I-Mate-K-Jam.asp
can anyone confirm they have tried this site and if it is reliable?
i have finally decided what i want and w
ant it quickly now- but am as previous posts may have indicated very cautious about these things but trust the posters on this site and value thier opinions.
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-24 16:04
arghhhhhhh after saying I knew what I wanted..the Kjam... i impulsed today and got the jasjar orrather the o2 version of it xda exec.......wish me luck with it as i will prob have lots of questions for u Masseur by tonight. Better get back to work now... ps its not NEARLY as big as I thought after your descriptions..which is the reason I changed my mind and just went for it.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-24 16:27
good luck!

I sold mine today so its just the k-jam but I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-25 01:35
So which would you say is the better device between the k-jam and the imate jam 128mb version is the k-jam alot slower with it having less memory or would you say its as fast if not faster with it having wm05's new storage.

Would you say its a downgrade form a 128mb jam or an upgarde performance wise,Thanks in advance
irfan
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 22:09
Hi Masseur...........havent had much time to fiddle with it but made my first mistake and wonder if you can help.........ive lost the today screen coz wen i click it it comes up with the msn screen....any ides why?.............it happened shortly after the first time i connected to my laptop
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 22:14
first I'd try a soft reset

then if that doesn't work go to settings, personal tab, today and attempted to choose a theme

last choice is hard reset as I'm not aware there is any way of making the pocket msn as your home page, at least not in the i-mate jasjar or k-jam
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi