Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Flight Mode not accepted in some aircraft

Author Flight Mode not accepted in some aircraft
fetzi
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-09 17:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In my experience every airline asks you to turn off any electronic devices during start or landing; afterwards you could use them. Don´t think it´s a technical need but a way to ensure nobody´s injuring himself when it rumbles a little bit and passengers wake up with laptop display corner stuck in their eye..
Pop! Goes The Hamster... And Other Great Microwave Games
DJcreamz
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-10 10:19
lol i can think of worst ways of dieing a lap top screen corner in ur eye, now thats the way i wanna go
london-uk
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2004-12-14 18:11
Here is the reply I received from Danish airline, Maersk Air, regarding the use of phones in flight-mode:

Thank you for your mail.

Currently Maersk Air will not allow for any mobile phone to be operational any time during the trip.
When and if this will be allowed onboard Maersk Air it will most likely be on the basis of recommendations from a aviation organisation like IATA and not based on the mobile manufactures.

We do not have a time frame on this issue.

Trust you find all in order for now

Best regards

Pia Lindinger

MAERSK AIR
Manager Customer Services
Phone: +45 3231 4126
Telefax:+45 3231 4194
E-mail: LZ@maersk-air.dk
[addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-12-14 18:14
glad I don't fly Maersk but shame I have to fly BA twice each week and they have extended their announcement that "mobile phones and other devices that transmit data" must remain switched off for the entire flight.

doesn't stop me using my iPAQ of course
fetzi
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-15 10:15
but if you´re in flight mode you are not transmitting.. Could it be that they wanted to clearify that for Blackberries or such devices? I mean, you can´t be punished for driving drunken if you´re only sitting in your car..
Pop! Goes The Hamster... And Other Great Microwave Games
Qwerty_uk
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-12-15 15:12
Maybe we won't even need to worry about flight mode before too long...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4092019.stm
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-15 15:34
Sounds great if it gets the go ahead.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-12-15 18:02
more news... according to this myway article

Federal regulators plan to vote Wednesday whether to allow air travelers wireless high-speed Internet access. And they plan to talk about, without a vote, whether to end the cell phone ban.

it will be interesting to hear the outcome
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-15 18:04
Look forward to the results...
BigFeat
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-15 18:10
I've always been interested in that. I have flown with one carrier that had free Wi-Fi available on the craft. It wasn't advertised I simply got a blip on my Laptop that indicated service was available. I asked why and they said it was a 'pilot program' to test the viability of the service. The cell phone ban removal will create a lot of debate I'm sure. I have a feeling the focus will be more concentrated on curteousy in terms of noise ratio rather then safety.
Breathe iT__Smell iT__Taste iT__Feel iT

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T
syntax
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-16 02:51
'Prepare to be invaded by noise. Get ready for the last remaining haven of peace to be broken.'

BBC News 'Prepare for flights with bleeping mobiles'.
hippo
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-12-16 04:32
Delta Air Lines have the most sensible policy I have come across. They announce as part of the "welcome to xxx" message, immediately after touchdown, that it is acceptable to use mobile phones.

Needless to say, a substantial bleeping usually ensues as a hundred passengers switch on their phones.

Delta allows full use of mobile phones as long as the aircraft is on the ground (and not on the runway for takeoff). In flight, I have never seen anyone have trouble using a smart phone in flight mode.

I did get questioned once while wearing my Bose QuietComfort 2 acoustic cancelling headphones. I was asked "what are you listening to" and, in the spirit of acoustic cancellation, I replied "nothing". The flight attendant didn't believe me.
The_Nashy
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2005-01-29 12:01
Jetstar Australia is pathetic when it comes to mobiles.

I turned my phone on as I was deaprting the craft, and got in trouble!

QANTAS is great with phones. I turn it on just after touchdown, and they don't mind at all.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-29 12:11
I'm heading home to Sydney again in a few weeks and was checking out the current Qantas policy for mobile phones (btw I'm a platinum Qantas frequent flyer and don't fly with anyone else to, from or within Australia as Qantas are great!) and they recently changed their policy from not being able to use phones AT ALL once on board to this

Onboard Mobile Phone Usage
You may now use your mobile phone onboard our aircraft before departure, if the aircraft is parked at an aerobridge,+ until the doors are closed for the flight.

Once the doors are closed, your mobile phone must be switched off for the duration of the flight.

On arrival, you can use your mobile phone once inside the terminal.

so if you get away with turning it on after landing you are very lucky! I guess you will only get caught anyway if you don't have silent mode on and you receive a call or a message
nickorooster
P900
PM
Posted: 2005-01-29 12:31
Well, I've always used my p800 in flight mode whenever I'm in the air, and have only been questioned about it once (on BA) and I said it wasn't emitting signal, it was in flight mode, and showed him the screen. Turns out he has a p910 himself and knows about the whole flight mode thing. So he let it go.

Nick
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi