Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Flight Mode not accepted in some aircraft

Author Flight Mode not accepted in some aircraft
Rotavap
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Got this reply after confirming if P8/P9 flight mode is acceptable inside aircraft.

------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email dated 17 November 2003.

May I take the opportunity to explain that the use of mobile or mobile cum PDAs phones (including the SonyEriccson P800) are currently not allowed on board our aircraft due to safety consideration. While I understand that some of these devices can be switched to flight mode, thus minimizing or having negligible impact on flight instruments, there is no guarantee though that the device may be inadvertently turned to mobile mode. As the safety of our passengers is of utmost priority, we prefer to take the safer option and we trust that you can understand the position that we take. We are sorry if our cabin crew did not explain this to you clearly.

Mr *, please be assured that our Engineers are constantly keeping abreast with the latest technological developments and we will review our requirements from time to time as the need arises.

Thank you for checking with us, Mr *. We look forward to welcoming you on board our next flights soon.

Yours sincerely

Jason FooCJ
Manager Customer Services
"Ayoko na, d na ako welcom dyan, d2 na lang ako maglalaro sa bakuran namin"
-Anonymous
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:19
which airline was that from? I certainly had no problems on BA or Qantas in feb/mar/apr that I had the P800. Indeed the few flight attendants who queried me about using a mobile phone were more than happy when I showed them the flight mode screen and were actually quite impressed that it should have that feature!

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2003-11-18 08:20 ]
Rotavap
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:22
Its Singapore airlines. I've tried reaching SonyEricsson but they havent replied yet.
-Anonymous
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:24
I'm sure that all will say is that the airlines make their own policy.
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:31
Which in the end is true.

As 'flight mode' is not exactly standard on phones, you simply cannot expect everybody on every single airline to know about it.

And then there is the considerable issue of other passengers that may see you with yuour phone that may also not know about the flight mode...... they may cause havoc insisting that you must switch it off.... or worse yet..... switching on their own phones 'because that gentleman does it too'....

And finally and airline does make it's own policy of wqhat's desirable on board of their planes. Much like 'no-smoking' there may be a 'no-phone-like-devices' rule in place.

Choose a different airline or just rgin and bear it
Scally_cadet
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:33
Its just the airline being lazy. If there engineers are so up to date, why the hell do they not understand that the only reason for flight mode is so the phone can be use on a plane!

This message was posted from a Nokia

Rotavap
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:36
But on the contrary, I think regulatory agencies like FCC wouldnt have approved SE claiming this feature unless there was some sort of tests to support the flight mode option.
-Anonymous
D_G
W800
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:38
its called being updated about technologies and obviously, singapore airline is not updated and maybe thats one of the reaosons why its on decline

j/k

they r stupid though. do u think all those people who r travelling everyday around the wrold dont happend to have their phones switched on by mistake?? come on..give me a break..i forgot my phone ON 3 months ago on a 8 hours flight from south africa to dubai. Dont worry guys, the plane didnt crash for some signal interfering by my P800..lol..i bet there r millions of travellers every day who actually forget to turn their phones off.
Some of those airline staff need some training on latest technologies,however!
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:45
It's not the airline staff. They are trained to work by certain protocols, not only regarding mobile phone, but also regarding traveller behaviour. they have their instructions.

Have you ever been on a plane with a fuming passenger coz another passenger had a device in flight mode? I have, and I promise you it is not a fun moment when 1 passenger wants to 'shut that thing down myself' on board a crowded plane.

As long as the use of such devices is not wide-spread, there are more safety issues than just the signal from the phone.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 09:54
Actually. I have also been using an ipaq 5450 on my weekly flights since Christmas. It has a small wifi antennae on top which could make it look like a mobile phone, and I have never been questioned once with that one which thinking about it now is very strange!

hurny
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 10:28
Flight mode on my 3650 requires me to take out my SIM card and then start up in flight mode. How on earth could there be any chance of it emitting a signal? There isnt.

Is it the same for the p800/p900?
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-11-18 10:30
Nope... afaik you don't need to remove the sim. Am I right?
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 10:34
On a slightly different note (& a very seriouus one) do you remember that on some of the "911" flights the passengers were making "Final calls" to their loved ones on their mobiles, how must that have felt, i can't imagine.

Airlines are going through sensitive times, if they don't want you to use a device, don't use it, for whatever reason, best not question it.
Reminder; milk, sugar, crisps, post letter.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 10:34
no, you don't remove the SIM. its just a menu option
hurny
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-11-18 10:45
Oh ok- Well, I'll remove the SIM card and keep it on my lap. Then I can play games etc... without a problem. Cool
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi