Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?

Previous  123 456 ... 121314  Next
Author iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 19:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
little point....

iphone cannot be 260beans sim free...

hp\\ow much r and d, dev, advertising has gone into it??

true sim free price will be up at 300+ beans....
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 19:15
@seunlock-uk

That definitely is the case no doubt about it at all and is how and why there are so many iPhones for sale in both the US and here on E-Bay as that is what people are doing just buying them from an Apple store and either unlocking them or not and selling them.

Come the 9th November even with the 2 per store limit i could quite easily purchase some from a couple of locations although obviously they would not be activated at that time. As i said just have to wait and see when the new firmware is realeased in the US if it re locks them and if all the current hacks and software customisations still work or not. Personally i think they will or if not will be cracked again pretty fast.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-21 18:17 ]
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 19:27
If so, BIG ooooops from O2.......

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I hope this is this case, because for the end user, US, it is a better deal, especially with the 200 mins 200texts rubbish they are fobbing people off with for £35 a month, NO THANKS.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 11:09
@Dogmann

Yes, I realise that OFCOM info appears to be out of date. However, so far its the only legitimate source of information anyone has posted.

No-one seems to be able to find any information on this apparently elusive EU law people keep mentioning. Nor has anyone posted any links to more recent information.

That was the most recent info I could find. If you can find the current official info please post it, because I still can't find anything more...

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 14:11
@JoolsG4

I can' find any further information either not even a freaking phone number, but i do remember it being announced and the fact that all of a sudden all the Networks were selling people unlock codes on devices they had just bought. In most cases these hadn't even been bought direct from the Network either.

I really don't believe that the Networks all suddenly did this out of pure goodness and am pretty sure they only did this because they had no choice and had to.

But really until either i or someone else has an iPhone that 02 refuse to unlock it is not really possible to start a complaints procedure. But once either i or someone else does and requests an unlock code both verbally and in writing this complaints procedure can start.

I really don't think anyone here doubts the validity of the Networks having to sell us an unlock code as so many of us have done it. I also don't think anyone can try and claim that the iPhone forms part of the contract or is subsidised either as it is quite obvious it is purchased outright at point of sale. Which means that 02 refusing to sell an unlock code is not legal and is a restrictive practice exactly what the law was put in place to stop IMO. Only time will tell one way or the other who is right and who is wrong but my money is definitely not on 02 being right as i have said i think they have made a huge mistake on this one that may end up costing them dearly.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-22 13:13 ]
liverman666
R520
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 18:01
The 35 quid a month tarif for 200 mins and 200 texts is actually a bargain when you consider that also includes UNLIMITED Gprs/Edge data.
I can use up to 80-100 MB a month on my BB,you imagine paying for that at 3 quid per MB!!
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-22 20:38
I pay 35 for unlimited data and 350 pounds of credit with t-mobile...
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
N3uR0
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 21:01
I work for O2 and thats the first I've heard about a o2 p&g sim card, but it does make sense.
The thing about unlock codes, do you honestly think that O2 and apple haven't thought about this? they wouldn't leave themselves open to that. There won't be any unlock codes for the iPhone. Fact.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 21:17
@N3uR0

In answer to your question yes i do believe that 02 and Apple haven't thought about this Apple wouldn't because they are from the US where the law does not apply and why 02 haven't i have no idea .

The very fact you can confirm that 02 will not have unlock codes for the iPhone proves that they haven't thought it through as that is quite simply not legal.

So please explain to me why 02 are exempt from a law that effects every other device and Network both in the UK and the EU then?.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-22 20:18 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 21:37

On 2007-09-22 21:17:35, Dogmann wrote:

So please explain to me why 02 are exempt from a law that effects every other device and Network both in the UK and the EU then?.

Marc

Touche!
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-22 21:46
They are not exempt, they are obligated to unlock subsidised handsets that they provide, e.g. all contract/PayG handsets sold on their site or in their stores etc. They are NOT obligated to unlock phones that a member of the public owns, and decides to put a PAYG sim in.

So I buy a phone from Orange, and want an unlock code, can I ask O2, yes, do they have to give me it, NO, will they, probably because I am PAYING for it, mainly to use their service. BUT they COULD say NO, as I didn't buy it subsidised by them.

Same thing applies here, you aren't buying a subsidised handset, you are buying a piece of electronic equipment, that is you're SOLE property, it is not in ANY part subsidised or still owned by the network (unlick all PAYM phones) therefore under the laws they DO NOT have to provide an unlock code.

I suggest they have thought about it, and that is the exact reason why you buy the phone up front then sigh the contract, so they don't have to provide unlock codes, knowing that most people will not exploit the hacks, but will in fact take the contracts that are required.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 21:54

On 2007-09-22 21:46:52, seunlock-uk wrote:

Same thing applies here, you aren't buying a subsidised handset, you are buying a piece of electronic equipment, that is you're SOLE property, it is not in ANY part subsidised or still owned by the network (unlick all PAYM phones) therefore under the laws they DO NOT have to provide an unlock code.

therefore they are by law not allowed to lock it....

as that is monopoly and the CPS doesn't like monopoly...

does this mean all iPhones will be sim-free?

I doubt it!!

the phone how indirect it will be, will be supplied by O2...therefore subject to the same EU wide laws as stated previous in this thread...
N3uR0
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 22:01
I understand this topic needs a straightforward answer. I will put the question to our internal dept and see if they have answer.

But I think it lies with Apple on this and not O2, remember Apple could of chose any network they wanted, all networks want the iPhone. I would think that Apple have locked the iphone so the law wouldn't apply as they can't force a manufacturer to free it up for other networks as its their property.

[ This Message was edited by: N3uR0 on 2007-09-22 21:02 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 22:19

On 2007-09-22 22:01:39, N3uR0 wrote:
I would think that Apple have locked the iphone so the law wouldn't apply as they can't force a manufacturer to free it up for other networks as its their property.

But on the other hand, that same manufacturer can't force you to use a certain network, that is monopoly, and monopoly is essentially banned.

as batesie said earlier, that's like buying a brand new car, but them only letting you fill it up at texaco....

a car needs petrol to work, very much the same way an iPhone needs a sim to work, if the iPhone comes directly from Apple and O2 don't own it or have any interest in it, there is no way on gods green earth it can be locked.

If we look at this way, why are the tariffs not the same as the SIMplicity plans? they are essentially the same thing if O2 are not supplying the phone...

I feel however that O2 will have some interest in the iPhone no matter how small it maybe. even if it just an O2 logo slapped on the box, that still constitutes an O2 phone, therefore, subject to the same EU laws that govern ALL mobile networks even MVNOs...

I sincerly hope for O2s sake they haven't just copied the US sales model as it will not work over here, we have different laws regarding sales and after sales service...

I, for one will be buying an iPhone from Apple UK and not once will it be used on O2 UK...

by hook or by crook it'll be unlocked....

your parent company should know how the EU rules work, last time I checked Telefonica was a Spanish company, even they are subject to the same laws regarding phone unlocking....

O2 as far as I know, do not have a hope in hell of stopping people getting iPhones unlocked...

"You are the past and the forgotten, we are the internet and the future"

The pirates will win......
N3uR0
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 22:33
I'm only talking about the unlock codes not software to unlock the phone. If you unlock it by those means then thats your choice. No need to get shirty. Don't understand why you wouldn't want to use o2 though! but thats because I like the company

And there won't be any branding on the iPhone whatsoever.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 121314  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic