Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > N80 or K800?

Previous  1234  Next
Author N80 or K800?
dotsis
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 10:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Bart.Stop chatting shit, please.The p990 is old technology already.

This message was posted from a Nokia

bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-12 00:13
i disagree, the P990 can't be called old tec. its software is still new (appart from the M600i). otherwize the phone is more then fully loaded.
only down side i see people could complain about is cam. which is quite good, but not 3MP, but then again, who needs that? next year it will be 4MP and so on.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-23 08:21
I currently have a K800 and although I love SE, I seem to have got bored of it very quick (I got it on contract free around 2 months ago) and the features of the N80 make my eyes light up, esp as I love techie things.

I'm really thinking about getting an N80 but the battery life is a concern (Although I do have to charge my SE phone every 2 days or so). I honestly don't know what to do, I've never had a smartphone before and I'm starting to think it could be the gadget I'm missing.

Why do people say the P990 is out of date already? Its features seem very similar to the N80?!?

Rach
3G ADIKT
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-24 07:52
well i had 4 n80 handsets and all were replaced due to diff probs with fw in first day of ownership, but as a phone , not to bad, but my k800i i feel is way better ,even after i still had fw probs wit this it suits my needs just fine,never did use my wifi on da n80 anyways,would never own another 1 ,no offence 2 anyone, ,my n73 is just as good if not better than my k800 and WAY better than my n80, but thats just me.each 2 there own
curr phones---k800i_hpm70---w850i_A8 bang&oulfsen---N73_hpm70
Danilsa
Apple iPhone 4
PM
Posted: 2006-11-25 23:39
i prefer k800
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-11-25 23:44
k800 all the way
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-11-26 04:31
K800 has better camera, battery life and lighter over the N80. That's about all.

N80 has bigger screen, better video record, better PIM with unlimited phonebook and sms storage, WIFI, better browser, better blog, EDGE, better multi-tasking, independent voice dialing, PTT, Quad-band, office/pdf doc support, better gallery with album support and music slideshow, better profile with changing to flight mode without rebooting phone, much more customisable theme, better multimedia format support.

With K800 you are pretty stuck with built-in functionality. With N80 you can expand the functionality of the phone to do things like the following:-

1. Advanced Profiles (integrated with calendar) - Phone automatically turn on/off profile based on predefined keywords, start and end time in calendar entries. Additionally phone can auotmatically perform additional actions when a profile is changed like changing theme, run an application, turn on/off bluetooth, change hotkeys mapping etc. E.g. set a meeting entry in calendar and phone will automatically turn on "meeting" profile at specified time. Additionally the phone theme is changed and the in-phone answering machine/IVR app is turned on. At end of meeting, phone revert back to last profile/theme and close the app.

2. Advanced Call Management. In-phone answering machine with IVR (i.e. caller is prompted to select options during call). Also black/white list of phone numbers can be set up to filter calls. And schedule can be setup when different actions are perfomed. E.g. During sleeping hours you can set all phone calls (except those in white-list) to in-phone answering machine. During meeting, you can tell the caller to press a key to ring your phone if it is very urgent otherwise the default in-phone answering machine will kick in.

3. Cell-based "gps" (dont need gps receiver). By recording cell-station locations info, phone can automatically perform actions like send sms, change profile, etc based on which cell-station the phone is currently connected to. E.g. when picking up someone, the phone will automatically send sms to that person when you are near the pickup point. When used in conjunction with Advanced Profiles and Call Management you can create any type of automated phone actions.

4. Schedule pre-specified sms to be sent automatically at predefined time by entering a "command" string as title in the calendar entry.

5. Use the phone as fax machine to receive or send fax.

6. Voice notes/reminder/todo (integrated with calendar) - Press a hotkey to record a memo/notes. Recorded voice note will be inserted into calendar where you can then set schedule or alarm. Use this instead of typing on the keypad.

7. Multitude of full dictionaries, translation/voice dictionary and e-books.

8. Play hundreds of games including console games using emulators.

9. Control your phone camera/activate app like recording remotely by calling your phone and pressing keytone or sending sms with embedded command to your phone.

10. Use phone as sound monitor and motion detector. Can set phone to automatically perform actions (like sms, call, start app) when sound exceed certain level or there is motion detected by camera.

11. Construct cool ringtones using fireplayer or edit your movie or view the web with a full webbrowser or open any office/pdf documents.

12. Use the phone as multimedia player (video and audio). You can install many codecs to playback any media file format.

13. Use minute manager to tally your calls/sms usage. Also can create auto-callback to save on tariff.

14. Use the comprehensive blog system to create a blog of all your call/sms, video, audio, photo etc.

15. And many others utility app like scientific calculator, ftp, telnet, p2p, bluetooth remote control, personal productivity apps

QuickShare
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-11-26 04:44
you won't go wrong with K800..
My Flickr Site..
Flickr.com
Most Popular Newbie 2006
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-11-26 04:53
yeah.. you can't go wrong
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-26 06:31
Yeah you are 'right' - you can't go wrong with the k800 because there isn't much to get wrong anyway :D . Go back to mib's post and read it again and again. . . and again. Only so one will fully undertand the power of symbian in general and s60 in particular. No wonder the other 2 'big guns' out there decided to bring out top s60 devices, namely LG Joy and Samsung i520.

This message was posted from a N70-1
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-11-26 07:09
so you think all people really maximize those "things"? you got another thing coming dude
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-26 07:21
i had a k800i, and am using a n80 a little now, and ive got a k750i here too which i am also using. I even prefer the k750i over the n80.

The n80 is slower than a snail, its rediculous, the battery, s**t, charge for 5 hours, barely lasts a day, thats without even using it.

So, to the nokia choosers above, you would choose features over actual performance? I know i wouldnt. I want a phone that is quick and reliable.

The n80 doesnt fit that criteria for me, yes it does have more features than n80, but what? video and wifi? Dont say symbian is an advantage, coz most people wont even know what symbian is, my brother got an n73, i said to him its a symbian phone. I looked at me like i was crazy.

If you want the internet, use a computer, for video, its not that big of a deal.

k800 for me
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-26 07:25
Why are you taking into consideration people who are stupid? If someone goes out and buys an N80 and doesnt know what symbian is, then he only deserves a 3310 in his hands.
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-26 07:29
@qvga

thats exactly why symbian isnt an advantage over a non-symbian phone. And i found heaps of people say this on mobile phone forums.

If you do know how to use symbian, and know what it is, and it suits your needs better, then yes, it can be an advantage over non symbian phone. But thats all individual choice.

Many people wont even know what symbian is (the stupid people as you called them), there for it cannot be called an advantage. They buy the phone because they like the looks, or because it has a 3mp cam.

Why does every nokia/ thread have to turn into a war!

QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-26 07:31
Just wanted to know if symbian isnt an advantage, what advantage does a P990 and M600 have over, say, a K800? Apart from the fact that they are touch screen.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi