Previous  123 ... 151617 ... 495051  Next
Author P990 vs HTC TyTn
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 20:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
still TyTN for my and I think J273 has a nice little summary there

anyway, here are a couple of pics taken today outside the Hotel opposite Marylebone station. These Lambo's have been there for a couple of weeks now

First the TyTN
full size

Then the P990i
full size
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 20:19
Quote:

On 2006-08-16 18:28:33, J273 wrote:
So for those who have both which is the keeper after a few days usage?

The p990 or Tytn?

got the p990 but im finding its a little basic after using windows smartphones/ppc for the past few years.

I know what you mean but when you've used a screen the quality of the screen on the HTC Universal (or Sony Clie colour PDAs) you wonder what HTC were doing with the TyTN. All that functionality is accessed via a screen and to limit its quality is a shame. I think I'll stick with the P990 until TyTN II when hopefully we'll have an improved screen and improved quality keybaord and senisble ergonomics around keys/controls for landscape/ portrait. I know what you mean about the P990, it seems SE have made it more similar to 'dumb' phones and done less to expand its computing capabilities. Also I assume they are trying to make their platforms very secure and appeal to a wider market - which is not really for Power Users.

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-08-16 19:21 ]
tkao2025
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 20:31
Does anyone find that the email on the P990 is very limited by size? By that I mean that I had 100 emails over the weekend on my m600 and it refused to download and crashed the email system. When I tried to delete some mail on the server it would not let me and had an error message. I wonder if this would happen on the p990 as well.

If this is the case than I would stick with my Tytn as it seems like it's better for business, although I would miss the multimedia function of the P990.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 20:34
oh dear. I have no issue with WM screen quality and don't really understand this fixation on having hundreds of thousands of colours when what we have here is perfectly fine.

65k colours have been on WM devices for a few years now and I've watched many movies and music videos etc without a single thought of "oh, I wish there were more colours!"

Outside today the P990 and the TyTN screens were both as visible (or should I say not) as each other and both required me angling the screen such that the reflective outdoor light made the screen more readable

The TyTN keyboard is a step backwards from that of the k-jam as it has an embedded numeric keypad rather than a dedicated row of keys, but it is nonetheless very usable compared to the P990.

I read your comments about problems accessing the soft keys but I have no issue there and for me this is a good improvement over the k-jam which didn't have the windows and ok keys in keyboard closed mode. Now the device is much more usable one-handed than every before and I already raved about how usable the k-jam was one handed.

I really do feel the TyTN has much more potential out of the box than the P990, especially given the already vast amount of free and shareware as well as reasonably priced commercial software

I also like the fact that software I buy is not keyed to my IMEI but instead keyed to my device name which I always set to my first name. So I can easily upgrade my WM device and continue using the same software.

I didn't want to get into all this in depth until I spent more time with the P990 but I just felt it was time to post a few thoughts myself. So expect more from me but for now I really can't see me keeping the P990 long term as a primary device.

p.s. I do think based on the previous posted pics that the P990 defintily has a better camera it also handles html email much better than WM
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 20:58
@masseur

to be fair in my comments:

- I did say one would get used to the keyboard/buttons (see first detail thoughts)
- the screen comparison with a number of other devices not just the P990, its not a colour depth issue as I don't really know what difference that makes. I just did not like the screen quality, its not a WM5 thing as I said the HTC Universal screen is super
- my only other experience of a WM5 device keyboard is again the Universal and that was really very good

Okay now will wait until after the weekend (have no choice as the TyTN is going back for a replacement in any case)

Edit: my conclusion from the previous page "If you buy a TyTN you wont be unhappy as it is quality product..."

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-08-16 20:23 ]
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-16 21:27
hmmmm gotta get a Tytn now i think its just the p990 is not what i thought it was going to be very basic and miss my Jamin already.

Think im gonna go for the orange m3100 as i think its a better looking device to the tytn....as the same sort of styling as the Jasjam and dopod 838 which dont seem to be out yet which is a bit of a shame.

for those who have both is the tytn the same thickness as the p990 with its keypad off?

Thanks

SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 22:22
Quote:

On 2006-08-16 21:27:45, J273 wrote:
[...]
for those who have both is the tytn the same thickness as the p990 with its keypad off?

The TyTN is closer to the P990 thickness with the flip on.
See this picture I posted earler for a comparision:

Side profiles
J273
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-16 22:29
ok cheers.....not to bad then.....I had a k-jam before so i presume its the same sort of size.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 00:03
What?!

@Masseur, you posted pictures of both the TyTn & the P990i; on the TyTn I cannot tell anything of the ppls faces (its a 1.3MP cam right?); moreover, I cannot even tell their race - something a sincerely hate to talk about but its relevant for this concern. On THe P990 picture I definately can ... however on BOTH I cannot tell the features.

i.e. The Man in the Green Shirt, Grey Khakis carrying the black suit bag, I can tell he is caucasian in his late 40's and has a full grey hair and all around beard. He is just 6-10 steps closer in the picture on the P990i than the lady wearing a white shirt and blue/black suit with the blazer open within the TyTn pic. I cant even tell the shape of her head, and barely that she is a female because of the lumps protruding from her white shirt.

I really still dont like the styling of the TyTn .... and to me, from what I've read in reviews, the P990i still functions better at phonebook, receiving & making calls manually than any PPC-PC device. Now it seriously lacks in that Magic Word - I was hoping in this day and age across SE's lineup that they'd scrap it (its been around this the Ericsson T18z/T28/T39m). However, I'm still waiting for a redisign - functionally of the Moto Mpx220 (with a Cam that actually works), and a seriously like the Cingular 8125 Device - a baby version of the TyTn. I dont need 3G as the prices here in Canada is like given up your 1st born ... and truely I love my son. I almost decided on purchasing the MTeor which I love the layout of buttons and color co-ordination and it has a MAGNIFICENT screen that I've seen in mini reviews.

> I'm still deciding P990i or get an unlocked Cingular 8125/XDA Exec.

NOTE: for those of you that prefer the layout of the P990 ... but like the functionality of Windows Mobile ... keep an eye out for the HTC Excalibur. Looks really good, but more like a BlackBerry.

The P990i still stands out, for me because of the potential of BES Support ... something I'm DYING for someone to review.

@Masseur, I truely value your comments on both these devices, and your uncanny insight. Just remember in your upcoming review that the HTC TyTn 's OS is a 3rd edition - or "go at it" for Microsoft, where as the P990i is a completely new platform, save for the M600.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 04:19
please keep it on topic guys here we are listing good things and bad things about both tytn and p990 don't just take a biased opinion about one and make it seem that it was a gift from the heavens despite all it's flaws (both phones obviously have issues )

on a side note anyone know where I can get a 2 gb micro sd card ? I know they're out but I haven't been able to find any sellers (sandisk), any info on when the 4 gb microsd will be available ? they don't have to be sandisk they can be orca or any other manufacturer as long as they work.

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 06:54
Ok so I've been doing quite a bit a research and I'm impressed that the TyTN is the exact same size, slightly thinner than the Cingular 8125.

@Masseur or others that have the HCT Variant of the TyTn ... does it support the same UMTS+HSDPA bands ( 2100/800Mhz) as in this video EXACTLY 11:30 (mins:secs) through ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2fsuEMBOY&NR

- I'm interested in how skinable it truely is but I dont like hacking an OS as this will lead to buggyness .... I dont do it on my WinXP SP2 computer, and I havent needed to do a System Restore for 14months. The WinMobile 5 OS is still based on the WinCE core as the old PocketPC PDA's were.

Some major questions.

- can I prioritize MSN, Emails (pop3/IMAP4), web surfing via WiFi; even restrict to this medium?!
- what other browsers are able to run on the TyTN.
- does anyone think that the TyTn will speed the implementation of size of the MicroSD card beyond 2GB!!!????

> is the P990i as fast in speed as the TyTN.

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
santosoh
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 08:52
I was using WM2003SE before (XDA Mini), and not really happy with 2 things: photo quality, and phone quality.

On photo quality, seems like it is still not improved in TyTn and we all can see from the sample picture..

On phone quality, I don't know if anyone this experience this... Sometimes (quite often actually), the phone function is hang, and I'm not able to receive or make call, receive or send SMS, and worst, there is no notification on this until I try to send SMS or make phone call, and couldn't do it.

This problem mostly happened after I travelled in underground train, or inside the lift where I could not get a signal. After I got my signal back on my phone, I still could not receive a call... or, sometime, I could not even get the signal back (and drain my battery pretty fast because of this). All I could do is to give it a good restart

Now using a nokia device with the same SIM card, the problem is not happening at all. So, I can be sure that it is not my SIM card problem.

Few other PPC owner also reporting the same problem, even with WM5 (XDA Atom users).

So, to me, back to WM device is not really an option, as I have bad experience there... but again, PIM Function is excellent on WM, especially when we are so used to Outlook...

One more thing, I'm not sure about new WM device nowadays... But on my XDA Mini, there is NO Key Lock function (except with third party software).

So, when a message came in and I did not notice, it is possible that I accidentally activate some other function in my device or even tick 'done' to some of my task since I'm using Pocket Informant as one of my today plug ins. I hate this sooo much since I will assume that I've done that task, and forget about it...

[ This Message was edited by: santosoh on 2006-08-17 07:59 ]
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 10:15
Had a nasty experience with the P990 today. First application in a business situation and it failed; I received a call from a key client and the phone decided to reboot. If you are looking for a device that works out off the box then I suggest at this point you look at the TyTN or the M600i. The P990 at the moment, for me, is a 'high maintainenace' device - it will get better but will take time. But I still like the form factor and the SE design.
Wam7
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 12:34
One difference that will only effect the few people on Orange and that have a line 1 and line 2 is that out of the box the M3100/TyTN doesn't support it. No problem with the P990.

I tried my sim in one and while out going calls can only be made from Line2, you can only receive calls on the Line1 number.

I heard that Orange are attempting to fix this but we will see.
bbasra
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:25
Hi,

I read on expansys.com forum that you cannot beam/send files/photos via bluetooth on the Vodafone 1605?

Also, can people please post experiences when using the TnTN and TomTom 5.21 with bluetooth?

Is this true?

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: bbasra on 2006-08-17 12:34 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 151617 ... 495051  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic