Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia N8. Connect. Create. Entertain.

Previous  123 ... 1516 171819  Next
Author Nokia N8. Connect. Create. Entertain.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 09:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Same thing happens on Sony Ericsson a200 phones where videos appear in camera pictures folder
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:22
@ Bonovox - i like Android too but i find it rather boring. I think Android's default menu icons and grey menus put me off over phones like the N8. I was fooling around with a Desire HD today in CPW, it was really nice, but nothing special really grabbed my attention when i was using it other than its screen size.

@ false_morel - ive held off updating Ovi maps at the moment as ive read a few people complain about its stability. Ive had two N8 phones now and both came with full UK maps preinstalled, but i performed a master reset on my new N8 and lost all the maps. Its not really a big deal though if you can download them onto your pc first using a fast internet connection like mine.

Regarding the videos in the images app, that has always been the way of Symbian. I prefer it over having two seperate icons / apps to seperate the two. My main gripe with Symbian has always been with hiding pictures. Often my girlfriend will send me sexy pictures of herself and im unable to hide them anywhere - they still appear in the gallery ! So, whenever people want to look at my phone, being new and awesome (lol), i have to watch what they do with it very carefully !!

Lastly, i tried a WP7 today, the HTC HD7, i must admit Apple and their iOS looks really dated now compared to the new Windows interface. Its even more fluid ! sadly, like Android and iOS (in my opinion of course), it too is rather limited compared to Symbian. I seriously could not do much with the phone other than basic functions like browsing pictures.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-12-08 17:24 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:27
Yes,I find my x10 laggy compared to the N8 which alot of people will say to me 'yeah right' but it's true. Still no issues with my N8 at all. No crashes no freezing
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:31
I have one slight issue about the build quality, on the rear at the top of the phone above the camera island is the plastic end cap. If i press mine in the middle it clicks and gives way, a bit like a feather touch button. My first N8 did this, so does my second. A possible weak point in its construction ??

Heh, i also played with the Galaxy S in CPW this afternoon, it lagged terribly and wouldnt respond to half my screen taps. A possible reboot may have been needed..
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:36
No I don't have that issue on mine. It's solid as a rock. Just tried what you said but it's fine. Perhaps yours is a certain batch I have experienced this before with say some batches of phones where the build quality between different production weeks was inconsistent According to the instructions Nokia say there is antennas on top & bottom. I wonder which is which cos I don't get no death grip issues & great signal. Only things I hate about this phone are no camera lens protection & the terrible landscape keyboard but I never use it in landscape for typing much anyway.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-12-08 17:39 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:37
Its nothing big, just a slight click, you cannot see the case moving or anything.

Im simply concerned the plastic ends might be made of much thinner plastic than you'd expect.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:40
@ etaab

As for ovi maps, I surfed some forums and found out about the instability problems. I shouldn't have updated, as I still can't manage to download Europe maps over Ovi to the N8. It's holding in the middle of the process telling it encountered some internal server problem!
Bad timing as well. I need those maps before Christmass.

As to the photo viewer, if videos and images are combined, why there is a separate video viewer then.
It's not a bad idea to combine both in one app, but at least in that app, somehow separate them, rename the app, and get rid of the second video app..

I think this will be addressed in the coming major upgrade. So many things on the list now:
Internet Browser, Camera interface, photo and video viewer, and the UI reformation.. Although all they need is just some minor UI tweaks (option to change folder icons, get rid of that empty button, distinguish folders from apps and files) and maybe some home screen enhancements...

And speaking of the home screen, did I miss some widgets or is there just one weather widget from AccuWeather that is not working too?!
I searched Ovi Store only..

Anyway, regarding apps and Ovi Store, I'd just wait for Qt apps to fill the place.. Next year Symbian and Ovi Store will be looking totally different..

BTW, etaab, I think you ordered your N8 from Nokia directly if I'm not mistaken?
Could you state your PC and CFW if this is the case...
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2010-12-08 17:42 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:42
That's what I hated about the Desire HD build. Awful lower plastic door for sim & sd card which never fitted properly exposing an unsightly gap & awful battery side door which was so fiddly It also made the back look ugly. My weather widget works fine every hour via GPS
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-12-08 17:42 ]
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 18:49

On 2010-12-08 18:36:22, Bonovox wrote:
Only things I hate about this phone are no camera lens protection

Yes. Here as well.

I'm thinking if I could stick a wiping glasses rag in that leather bag so that I could wipe the lens with any time..
Any other ideas?
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2010-12-08 17:50 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 20:13
@ false_morel - you need the video app to find your videos. Otherwise, you'd have to search through hundreds of pictures to find the video you want to play. Videos show in the images app out of pure convenience.

I wouldnt get your hopes up for such major changes to the things you mentioned, im rather happy with the N8 now, as are Nokia. Peoples main complaints are with the default web browser of which we know a new version is coming soon. I simply keep mine in a cotton phone sock, which keeps the lens clean. I also make sure i never touch it with a finger tip.

Can anybody recommend a good weather widget, i tried Accuweather also and it simply wouldnt update !

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 20:17
I cant be bothered typing it all out so is this the info you want ?

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 21:30
My N8 Review: http://is.gd/hXoUs its now back with Nokia, its a great phone, but it realy seems like Android suits me a lot better than Symbian, i'll definetly miss the Camera, 16GB internal and the metal bod though, dam thing felt like a tank.

Bono
Lol, congrats on the N8! AFAIK, 3G antenna is at the top, GSM at the bottom. The N8 had a bit of a weaker signal than my X10, the area i live in has realy poor signal, both were good but it seems the N8 takes longer to recover, when going in and out of coverage, so maybe what i should say is recovery is longer than what im used to, but signal strength is good as i say in the review, much better than the 3GS that's for sure.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 21:34
I thought the GSM/3G antenna would be at the bottom or top & WI Fi would be the other one?? Anyway,I found my x10 signal good but not as strong as the Nokia. I say this also cos I do find every now & then as Rookwise says the signal on the x10 completely drops off when in standby for no apparent reason then comes back all of a sudden. It happens randomly
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-12-08 22:30
Etaab
I used AccuWeather and it worked very well, which homescreen are you putting the weather widget on? What i noticed is that when widgets are put in any other HS other than the main one then they dont update until you actualy view that screen.

Bono
I havent had that issue with my X10, or atleast i havent noticed as i have poor signal where i am so all my phones are forever jumping in and out of coverage, especialy in the kitchen,so recovery time is my issue, i think the K850 was the last phone i had that managed to keep signal almost everywhere at home, pity it was such P.O.S.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-12-09 00:05
@ etaab
You have a point regarding the video player, but still, I didn't get where the convenience in just not right.. Minor thingy however..

As to teh lens, I have my N8 is a leather bag all the time as well.. But I'm checking it prior to every use.. And believe me, even in that bag, it still gets some prints.. Not finger prints since I make sure not to touch the lens.. Most probably caused by moisture.. And cleaning it isn't that nice either!
Can live with that however..

As to the PC and CFW, first thanks for the snap, it helped as I'm collecting some links on the issue..
But I have some bad news for you.. You have a CV PC, or Country Variant Product Code.

This means you receive updates pretty late! Usually every major local operator should approve on the update for it to be published! This means later from those branded phones with Operator Variants (OV) Product Codes
And you have a dedicated CFW (custom firmware) obviously.. But this is what I needed to get sure of..

--------------------

But if anyone got a branding-free N8 with Euro PC (Euro1, Euro2, or Euro3) just state which CFW (Custom Version) is on please..
Bono or Davidsic maybe?
Jake also, if you have a NAM PC please state the CFW..

--------------------

@ Tsep

You got one thorough review there.
But you forgot the final verdict.. You know, as a reviewer you always have to include that final part.. You final overall assessment..

As to that Accu widget, it's not functioning at all by me. Not able to connect.
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2010-12-08 23:06 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1516 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic