Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SAD SE 2007 Portfolio-Hard to digest facts

Previous  123 ... 121314 ... 161718  Next
Author SAD SE 2007 Portfolio-Hard to digest facts
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-20 21:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Max

I haven't predicted or said they may continue to drop and end up in the red at all, all i have done is said it's not a good sign and that is all.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-20 20:23 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2007-10-20 23:16

On 2007-10-20 21:20:45, mario2004 wrote:
I personaly think the people are getting a bit too much of 'cyber shot' and 'walk man'

You mean unlike CZ or XpressMusic, duh.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-21 01:44

On 2007-10-20 21:22:47, Dogmann wrote:
@Max

I haven't predicted or said they may continue to drop and end up in the red at all, all i have done is said it's not a good sign and that is all.

Marc

And I never said it was a good thing, I am simply suggesting that we wait and see since the drop in profit could mean anything at this stage, there is no reason yet to look at a 10% drop as a bad thing, it may just be part of a natural backwards step resulting from a sudden entry into the mid range market. I don't believe it's such a leap to draw such a conclusion, it seems quite obvious to me that SE would experience a drop in profitibility as they ramp up production of lower margin handsets.

In any case, time will tell.

The fact is unless SE target the mid range the way they are, they will never be a truly profitible company. Sure they could concentrate on the high end like they used to, and return to high margins, but this won't make them more profitible. They may make a higher margin per unit, but they will be selling so few units that their profits will be well below what they are aiming for in their attack on the mid range.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 01:57
@Max

If SE come up with the goods both with spec and software as hopefully they will with the P3. Why should these sell in small numbers they have the potential market there within those that both favour touch screens and or like UIQ if they get it right. Along of course with a Walkman variation, i am not saying they will sell the same sort of quantities as a mid range device but the market for smart phones and premium devices is huge and growing and a premium device can generate greater profits per sale.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-21 02:05 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-21 02:25
I agree with this, infact I've never really said I think SE have a great UIQ3 stable, atleast not anything to launch an attack on Nokia high end or even some of the HTC phones out there.

That said, I think the P990 is now a great phone, and the P1 is competitive but not ultra competitive. SE UIQ phones still have some advantages over Nokia, ie: innovative styling (whether you like the style or not, they offer an alternative to HTC or Nokia bricks for those people who want it), touchscreen, and the SE UI (which still has support in the high end market). For some these advantages mean nothing, but for others they are quite important. For myself, if I could afford any smartphone I like, I would buy the P1 over the Nokia/HTC devices I have seen, for the reasons stated above. AS it is, I'm waiting to get a closer look at the W960.

In terms of market appeal, it's unquestionable that SE need to enhance their high end, but at the same time, I believe they have a great basis to build from.

I guess establishing the bread and butter mid range is pretty important and it's understandable (in my view) that SE are concentrating on this areas atm.
ttsng
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 04:17
I have a p990. It is more stable now. But I still don't think it is a great phone. The alarm bug is still there. I set the alarm for workday (Monday to Friday), but sometimes it does not ring the Monday and it rings on Saturday. The email tools also does not working recently. In additional, it is still very slow. It takes half minute to reclaim the memory and start a new application.
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 05:17
SE k220/k200i/z250i Updated
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 15:02
sorry max don't see how you can justify the p990 as a great phone... the p1i is better then the p990 by far and that is only a medicore phone as best and i loved it...

well either way let's hope SE has been able to put enough midrange phones in the stable this year and solidify the midrange and build on it with less resources and focus on giving it's users some highend super phones...
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 15:38
Its Amazing how come the P990i had become gr8 phone,it even is not gr8 phone now after firmware upgrade, although SE doesnt worry about P990I
user ,its sad that so many people got this most buggiest phone at hefty price of arnd 700-750usd thinking that, they can leave their pc at home,
But instead they need to carry spare phone to make calls because p990i
hangs way too much and for flagship phone which is released once or
twice in two years,this is totally unacceptable

Moreover someone was complaining that N95 with lots of feature is useless because its a brick, but i think P990i is also a brick how come it be gr8 phone.

Although Nokia N95s are far less buggy then P990i when released
adding to list k850i,and the P1is camera problem.

SE Bugs list goes endless.....................
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-21 15:48
Is by innovative styling you mean keypads like W880 and W950? Sorry, but no one needs that kind of innovation. Nokia might make bricks, but those bricks sure do sell!

And its funny you say P990 is NOW a great phone. What about the past 12-14 months?

N71 + 2GB MiniSD

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2007-10-21 14:50 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 01:19

On 2007-10-21 15:02:39, DragonEye wrote:
sorry max don't see how you can justify the p990 as a great phone... the p1i is better then the p990 by far and that is only a medicore phone as best and i loved it...

well either way let's hope SE has been able to put enough midrange phones in the stable this year and solidify the midrange and build on it with less resources and focus on giving it's users some highend super phones...

When did I define "great" as "the best"??? Never that's when. I've seen many people who have the P990 claim it's a great phone, AFTER the firmware hassles were sorted out. I never said it was always a great phone. I'm not saying it's the best in it's category, I'm just saying it's a nice phone.

I also agree the P1 is much better than the P990 and had far less firmware troubles. I don't agree however that P1 is mediocre. People get caught up on spec lists, and forget that a phone is about more than having the absolute latest of everything.

It has a 3.2MP AF camera. It has wifi - so what it's only b, real world it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Internet browsing speeds aren't gonna be any better at 54Mbps than they are at 11Mbps unless you have a very fast internet connection. In many parts of the world, home broadband is still only maxed out at 10Mbps.

Copying data to the P1 would be faster on wifi g granted, but you can also use a memory card reader if you really don't want to wait. Wifi b is a hell of a lot faster than bluetooth.

It has all the things you could ask for, it's just that the N95 has the same things but better (5MP cam, wifi-b, hsdpa). And oh yeah, where is the touchscreen on the N95?? The fact that N95 is better (sans touchscreen), doesn't automatically mean the P1 is a mediocre phone.

The P1 is in my view a beautifully styled phone with a lot going for it. It's not a N95 beater, so what? Why does every phone have to be either as good as Nokia's best otherwise it's a pile of crap??

I'm getting sick of people beating down anyone who dares defend SE's high end. I've never argued that the P1 (or upcoming W960) have better tech than N95 or some of the great HTC's out there, but that doesn't mean I or anyone else aren't entitled to like the phones that SE produce. It doesn't make us fanboys, blind or any of that crap.

I like the P990, and while I'm glad I didn't have one early on, I'd happily buy one 2nd hand now if I had the opportunity. The P1 is an even better option and the W960 just blows my socks of with it's styling and even if it's features are a bit limited compared to Nokia finest, it's still a great phone in it's own right.
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-22 01:45
Honestly, the W960 looks like a regular early 2000's phone to me. Put it amongst today's other candy bar phones, the W960 doesn't stand out and gets lost in the crowd. It's not as flamboyant as a WALKMAN phone should be.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 01:47
Wel that's a matter of personal opinion I guess. Only the market will tell if you are right or wrong.

Personally I think it's a hot looking phone.
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 05:24
@MAX WEDGE Huh buddy. Don't you ever get tired of tipping so much (c r a p). With so many people on this forum not agreeing with you I think I am entitled to ask this 'trivial' question.And to all the Nokia fan-boys: PLEASE STOP arguing with Max - he needs a rest ;).

This message was posted from a N70-1
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-22 13:20
Oh I've got a lot more fight in me yet mario

Don't you ever get tired of being a pompous know it all? (I know that's childish but no more so than the dribble you just posted). Whether other people agree or not, if I like the P1 and W960 and that's my perogative.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 121314 ... 161718  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic