Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K750i Virus's Possible ?

Previous  123  Next
Author K750i Virus's Possible ?
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 01:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@etaab: i don't think the java thing was a virus. it sounds like it could definitely be a malicious application, but the only way to spread it from one handset to another would be to deliberately send it (at least on SE phones where the java operates in a "sandbox" separate from other phone functions).
Whomsoever you see in distress, recognize in him a fellow man

Gelfen's special place where nobody talks to him anymore
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 11:06
It was definitely intended to be a malicious app. People, myself included, generalise any app that has a negative effect as a virus.

Be it self replicating or not, any app that can have such an effect on your phone people will call a virus.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 11:21
nope k750 cant be affected by viruses.. i got 2 on my phone... and it effects other phones not mine!! HE HE!

as for downloading app, if you switch off your phone then turn it back on and view the app again it will be fine!
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 11:24
Never say never. It only takes one sicko to apply himself to come up with a virus...

This message was posted from a Nokia

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 18:40
Quote:

On 2005-07-29 11:24:37, Kryptik wrote:
Never say never. It only takes one sicko to apply himself to come up with a virus...

Hopefully 786KBR's phone will be the first to die from it. Maybe then he might not keep sending viruses out to people for childish kicks.
raw_knee
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-29 18:54
May I join the debate on whether any malicious application is a virus or not:

- a virus is technically a self-replicating malicious app.
- a trojan is a non-replicating malicious application that presents itself as a valid application in order to hide its true intent
- a worm is a malicious application that transfers itself from one node to another, leaving no trace of itself except for the 'damage' it does
- any app that doesn't have any malicious intent yet exhibit the effects similar to those described above may either be 'broken' or buggy

Most people would classify every one of the above as a virus. Some people (like me) would want to clear up this confusion. Not all apps that may pose a threat to the data in your device are virii.

Now, on the question as to whether a K750i phone may be affected by a virus, theoretically, YES IT CAN. Any device that can run a set of commands (through software) is a candidate as a platform to launch a virus. However, the design of the operating system of the phone (or the whole embedded system itself) MAY PREVENT OR LIMIT A VIRUS FROM DOING WHAT IT CAN.

There has to be a point as to where security and flexibility must meet. This 'meeting point' depends on the designers of the software. Each of them have different priorities in their design, hence some software do so much, at the cost of security while some are secure enough, at the expense of flexibility.

[ This Message was edited by: raw_knee on 2005-07-29 18:02 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 18:59
Its not really about people being confused as to whats a virus, what is a trojan, or whatever else.

Its about generalising such programs. Not everyone has the same tech knowledge as people like us on this forum. If we went into exact details all the time, that would create more confusion.

A typical example would be what happened to me recently on another forum. I got flamed for calling the K750i a 2G phone, when really its a 2.5G phone. Does it really matter ? especially when it confuses Joe Average moreso ? It certainly does not.
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 19:05
Isnt the java sandboxed in these phones?
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
raw_knee
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-29 19:13
Quote:

Its about generalising such programs. Not everyone has the same tech knowledge as people like us on this forum. If we went into exact details all the time, that would create more confusion.

Isn't it that these forums are created to clarify things to Joe Average?

Isn't it that these forums are meant to lessen the confusion surrounding the myriad of details that exist in technology that we have today?

At one point or another, details will matter.

Let's take for example a person who doesn't know much about what we're talking about in this thread. He comes to a service center, telling the support person that his phone might have a virus. What if the support person finds out that the suspected program was really a misconfigured one, sets it up properly, and charges the owner for 'fixing the virus' (and let's say that the charge for doing so is more than that of configuring the program)?

Indeed, the owner of the phone goes home happy that his phone has been 'fixed'. Little did he know that he may have been duped. We would not want that. I do not want that to happen to other people, which is why I wanted to clarify things in detail.

[ This Message was edited by: raw_knee on 2005-07-29 18:14 ]
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 19:30
@etaab

Flamed over .5 G difference? I can see that, if you said it was 3G.
Next time make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's .

2.5 = GPRS and EDGE Now, once you get into 3G, it's another story.
iphone rocks...
raw_knee
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-29 19:42
Quote:

On 2005-07-29 19:05:57, shyam335 wrote:
Isnt the java sandboxed in these phones?

Yes.
I have a mobile phone. That's all that matters.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2005-07-29 19:59
I understand your point raw_knee, but sometimes going into too much detail only confuses some people, thats my point.

I suppose its down to the informed person to choose whether its necessary to go into detail or not depending on whether it would simply confuse people more.

@REO and raw_knee, take a look:

http://zedge.no/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=150920&highlight=#150920

then read page 5...

[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2005-07-29 18:59 ]
raw_knee
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-30 03:48
@etaab:

that's nasty talking you got there... never experienced something like that from any forum i've been to... but reading from the whole thread, i think i understand why that person got so fscked up...

anyway, i'd still want to get into detail... if some do get confused with what I have posted, I'd take my time to explain things to them, to keep people better informed...

---

As to the issue of malicious programs in the K750i:

It seems that the K750i is quite safe from those that are prevalent today. However, safe or not, it is important that we users should be careful when downloading content.

[ This Message was edited by: raw_knee on 2005-07-30 02:50 ]
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-07-30 06:15
@etaab

What the &*(^$ was that on zedge? You were very mature in your response. I think I would have countered a heavy blow, realizing how the mods allow that type of stuff in that forum. Then again, I do know how to show restraint. Good response......

Igsm, got me all worked up...... Almost made me joined , in order to be able to post some feedback. I had to use some restraint just reading that post... and it didn't even have anything to do with me.

[ This Message was edited by: REO on 2005-07-30 05:32 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-30 14:30
come on now guys this virus semantics is just being pedantic. An AntiVirus program isn't called an AntiVirus/Worm/Trojan program is it? Everyone knows that the generic term to encompass malicious threats is VIRUS. To the end user they don't know or care if the particular attack was a worm trojan or virus.

@raw_knee, what you say is technically correct, but I don't agree that it matters a great deal that people refer to all threats as a virus. The plural of virus is viruses by the way, do a google search on it. You like people to correctly distinguish between types of threats, yet you assume that the plural of virus is virii. In doing so you appear a little hypocritical mate

However I do agree with your technical appraisal. The JAVA in K750 can access contacts and bluetooth, so I wouldn't be too hasty writing the K750 off as a possible virus platform like some on this thread are doing.

@etaab, checked out that guy, what an over reaction!! Kudos for not losing it dude! I'm a member of zedge, so I gave him a bit of a serve...no need for that kind of reaction. I mean we all have a bit of lash sometimes, but this guy went too far.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2005-07-30 13:55 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi