Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple warning on unlocked iPhones

Author Apple warning on unlocked iPhones
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 20:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
you can always get an unlock code from vodafone, its just a matter of knowing the right people
OBEY GAINT
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 21:03

On 2007-09-25 18:25:23, Daedalus85 wrote:
@QVGA

Yep, I'll drink to that

And about the unlocking, ok, fair point, I don't think they should force it upon a certain network, but thats Apples choice.

What REALLY pee's me off is that theres an upgrade 'fee' for existing customers to have the iPhone, which has been bumped up to £219 PLUS the £269 for the iPhone itself!

So are you saying o2 are going to allow you to keep your current tariff but you have to pay an extra 219 quid for the pleasure. I would rather do that than pay for the horrendous iPhone specific tariffs, cos lets face it they really are diabolicle!

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2007-09-25 20:34 ]
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 21:29
QVGA first of all I don't agree with what you say about Apple. As an Apple Mac user nothing wrong with Apple at all. However as a mac user i for one will not be going for the iphone, due to the fact no mms and 3g. However I am tired of people putting down O2 over this whole Iphone issue. What we all seem to be missing is, that its the Manufacture i.e APPLE who have set the lock code on the iphone, not the network. Its not the network that goes and put the locks onto the handset, its an exclusive deal between Apple and O2 to launch this handset in the UK and its Apple who have dictated to O2 that the handset must be locked to the O2 network and have clearly done that by providing the phone to O2.

DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 21:54

On 2007-09-25 21:29:08, Mr Miyagi wrote:
QVGA first of all I don't agree with what you say about Apple. As an Apple Mac user nothing wrong with Apple at all. However as a mac user i for one will not be going for the iphone, due to the fact no mms and 3g. However I am tired of people putting down O2 over this whole Iphone issue. What we all seem to be missing is, that its the Manufacture i.e APPLE who have set the lock code on the iphone, not the network. Its not the network that goes and put the locks onto the handset, its an exclusive deal between Apple and O2 to launch this handset in the UK and its Apple who have dictated to O2 that the handset must be locked to the O2 network and have clearly done that by providing the phone to O2.

don't you have it the other way around..

o2 has exclusive rights... they want the handset to be locked and exclusive to o2
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 21:57
the way i see it, is that apple is the one who decided to lock the handset for o2, to its network, due to giving o2 the network in the UK sole supplier of the phone to customers on its network. i may be wrong, but thats the way i see it.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:26
@DragonEye.

The Dev's teams that broke the iPhone are very keen to brake the Touch as they wish to add the e-mail and other features to the touch which would give it virtually the same functionality but just over WiFi.

What has stopped them is the new encryption and additional software Apple have added that has not allowed them access to the same areas they could before, so far they have not found a work round yet.

This is why people with 1.02 firmware are all being advised not to upgrade to V1.11 as many feel you may not be able to unlock or even do the things you previously could as it will no longer be able to access the base band. Steve Jobs did say it was a game of Cat and Mouse and looks like that with 1,11 the Cat just got the Mouse.

@Amnesia
No idea other than i would imagine they are not bought Sim free but if you want i can give you the number for OFCOM.

@Mr Miyagi

I don't see where anyone is having a go at 02 as there Tariffs do offer unlimited usage within fair usage limits for both Data and WiFi.

What really isn't open to debate is that although you buy this device outright its is locked to 02, even then it requires a special 02 Sim. This quite simply is not legal it is not a subsidised device and it doesn't require a contract till you activate it. Even then you can purchase it outright from an outlet of your choice and get a special PAYG iPhone Sim Card. It well may be that Apple have locked them at 02's request or not. But either 02 or Apple are going to have to unlock them as you can not sell a device such as a phone and then make you connect to one Network only with a device you have bought and own as that is illegal. If i go and buy an iPhone from Apple i expect to use it as a phone but with a Sim of my choice they can't force me to use 02 just because they make more money that way.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 21:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 21:29 ]
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:32
O2 are paying through the teeth to have the iPhone, so it is them who want the phone locking, why pay all that money and allow people to use it on another network. Apple merely gave the phone to the highest bidder, they don't care.

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2007-09-25 21:35 ]
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:33
Time for me to add my little bit lol

This is a difficult one indeed and have been following it very carefully and I know with the people on hear have also been watchin it too.
I speak to the good people at o2 and a regular basis and its a questions that is and has been asked

The law in the UK is indeed different to the one in the states, I know i travel to the states often.

However to unlock a phone by other means in this country is not illegal as per ofcom.

However and this is a big however. It all depends on the Terms and Conditions of what you sign when you purchase the Iphone if o2 or when o2 can give you the unlock code.

You also have to answer another question.

Will the other UK networks want to support the iphone on there network.

You have to look at settings. Will the other network have settings for the phone?
Orange in the uk is the only other network that supports Edge Technology?

I know that this is somethng that o2 and I-phone are still in talks with at the moment (Its called the fine Print).

However I cant see why o2 wouldnt sell you the unlock code if requested.

But they could do it like other uk networks.

If you request the unlock code, I know that some uk networks request you pay the full 18 months line rental first and then let you have the unlock code.

So they know they get there money first, This is not illegal and its called covering there own backs!!

The locking of the phone from what ive heard is not o2's doing This is a request to which apple i beleive has requested. (But dont quote me on this one)

If any of the other networks had got the phone then again the apple phone would be locked to them and obtaining you unlock code from the other networks is a chargeable request. If o2 charge then again thats still being decided.

What they may do, is unlock the phone at the end of 18 months for free? You never know

@mswallis

I think both apple and O2 will do amazingly well out of this. I know from what i heard, Orange uk wouldnt give into apple (not sure if this is speculation) Really not sure why Voda hasnt got it any where in the Europe, very puzzled on this one and there isnt much out there to go on?

I dont think apple are just giving it to the highest bidder. I think they are looking at it of more biggest networks.

o2 is the uk biggest network. (Subscribers)
orange in france
at&t in the usa
t-mobile in Germany

Its clever sense to go with more subscribers than less? Means that half the battle is done for them and knowning what i know selling the i phone on these neworks will now make them more popular than ever.

Good publicity all round.

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-09-25 21:46 ]
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:40
You guys... it isn't the end of the world. A Voda iPhone is still possible.

From Stuff.tv

And we thought the O2 announcement meant all this speculation was over - now Vodafone's CEO has just gone and bust it wide open again

So, O2 has the iPhone and we can put all that operator speculation behind us, right? Er, no, actually.

Vodafone's CEO, Arun Sarin has been telling reporters in Mumbai that Voda will 'absolutely' get another crack at bagging the iPhone within the next 12 months.

Given that O2 has a two year exclusive on the Apple handset, that comment's put our heads into a does-not-compute spin. Does he mean the Indian iPhone, or does he mean the 3G iPhone we're expecting here next year?

Some comments he made earlier in the week are revealing - he said he was looking forward to a 'faster' mobile from Apple. We suspect O2's lawyers will be scurrying for the magnifying glasses to examine that small print.

Just what exactly has it got the exclusive on?

Stuff.tv article/SOURCE
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:49
@Marc

Yes, i know they've had challenges and progress isn't going that well... but at the same time the mouse has to play smart.. the hackers are keeping their cards close to their chest... apple thinks they have the upper hand but we'll see as soon as 1.1.1 launches

but there's no denying apple has made it harder...

Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:51
The Deal with O2 isnt 2 years i beleive but 5 year exclusive so not sure about Voda?

@DragonEye

If a Product is made by Human then it can be broke by a Human

It is a true Tom and Jerry Cartoon Scenerio.

So who is who then?

Oh the Exciment continues!

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-09-25 21:55 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 22:59
@darrengf

But are you now saying that when i go into an Apple store i have to sign an 18 month contract as that contradicts everything i have been told by 02. As i believe i walk into an Apple store pay them their £269.99 and walk out owning my iPhone.

I have been told i can purchase an iPhone from which ever retailer i choose that sells them and then buy an special iPhone PAYG Sim from either the 02 shop for £15 or £9.99 direct from 02 over the phone neither of these require a contract for a set period of time and i own my phone outright from day one.

So all this compensation due to a contract just doesn't apply also this you have to activate via iTunes and 02 is a prohibitive practice we all know an unlocked iPhone will work with any Sim. Why am i being forced to use a Network that Apple choose they are not selling it subsidised other wise it would be more expensive and you would get a credit/discount for connecting.

I am still eager to hear from some one who works at 02 that has more chance of getting the answers many of us are seeking as otherwise we will just have to wait till 9th November to see what happens.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 22:01 ]
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:11
@Dogmann

I just dont know thats the problem.

The usa you can buy the iphone from apple but I beleive you still have to sign upto a at&t contract ??

Its on Apples on US Website

To use iPhone, you’ll need to sign up for a 2-year service agreement. Plans start at $59.99 and include Visual Voicemail and Unlimited Data — email and web — and 200 SMS text messages (you can add more text messages for a little more a month). You can browse the Internet and send emails as often as you like without being charged extra.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-[....]browse&node=home/iphone/iphone

So you may find that its the same in the uk.

Also who says that it will cost £269 in apple stores with out contract? You may find that it may cost alot more with out the contract. Poss £400+

Again 9th of nov will tell everything.

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-09-25 22:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-09-25 22:43 ]
ViLLaN
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:35
@darrengf

thats not the case, you can activate iphone on PAYG on AT&T in the US aswell. If you fail the credit check during itunes activation AT&T will send you a special PAYG SIM. And you pay no extra for the handset

[ This Message was edited by: ViLLaN on 2007-09-25 22:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ViLLaN on 2007-09-25 22:38 ]
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 23:42

On 2007-09-25 23:35:35, ViLLaN wrote:
@darrengf

thats not the case, you can activate iphone on PAYG on AT&T in the US aswell. If you fail the credit check during itunes activation AT&T will send you a special PAYG SIM. And you pay no extra for the handset

I sit corrected. mmm so is it better to fail the credit check then?

Who knows
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic