Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple warning on unlocked iPhones

Author Apple warning on unlocked iPhones
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 16:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Apple has warned that anyone attempting to unlock their iPhone to use with an unauthorised mobile network could find their phones irreparably damaged.

The company said that modified mobiles would become "permanently inoperable" once Apple updates were installed.

It follows a flurry of hacks claiming to unlock the phone, which is tied into the US AT&T network and O2 in the UK.

Apple has denied that it is "doing anything proactively to disable iPhones that have been hacked or unlocked".

Full story here.

Has Steve kissed and made up with Bill do we know? He seems to be borrowing his tactics. I wonder how many days minutes it will take the hackers to crack the updates problem, if it does indeed exist?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 16:56
@Cycovision

As mentioned elsewhere the same teams of crackers that had so much success with the iPhone have had very little if any success with the Touch. The general feeling is that this new firmware 1.1 will be similar to the Touch and current hacks will no longer work on the newer firmware. Although many think the Dev's teams will just break it again it seems this is going to be much harder now if at all possible. So if you have a 1.02 firmware that is unlocked or hacked don't update is the general advice as afterward you may not be able to unlock or add apps to your iPhone again.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 15:56 ]
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:01
I can't see how it can be "permanently inoperable" as all you need to do is restore it and then update, so it will work but just be relocked.

I think a major thing he is talking about is the hardware unlocking.

We will just have to wait and see. There will be many things to test when the new firmware is out. For example update an unlocked iPhone and see what happens, run the unlock software and see what happens etc etc. One major problem is that obviously the Apple dev team can just download the unlock and then find a way to disable it, stop it whatever.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:02
What happens when Sim Free iPhones come out then what c'mon they haven't thought it thru they can't keep it tied to a few networks without other people wanting it cos they will, eventually it will have to come out sim free apple need to rethink this and so what if people are unlocking them they should be proud people even want one of these anyway
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:08
I've heard about that but personally I'm not convinced. Anyway, that's a different story...

I just hate all this locking to certain networks business, it's like DRM for mobiles and we all know where DRM is quite rightly heading these days. Network locked phones are bad enough as it is without making it so that unlocking the phone may render it useless.

Oh no, sorry, Apple aren't 'proactively' doing that, are they
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:29
@Dogmann

well the hackers might just be keeping on the lowkey.. exploiting the touch isn't as important as exploiting the iphone...

on a second note.(not related to Marc's post.. apple is just playing it safe... if you modded your phone there is a chance that our update will mess it up... standard corporate jargon..

they do it for xboxes, wiies and other devices that have been heavily modded... point is if apple rewrites the BB it'll be relocked... everyone getting excited over nothing...

update application brick phones all the time (not on purpose) .. (SE and nokia lol) and if you read the fine print there's a disclaimer there too...saying they are not responsible yada yada

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-09-25 16:43 ]
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:38
There is a perfectly good reason for locking phones, why should a network subsidise the price of a phone only for you to then not use it with their network, the only way of them claiming some of that money back.

Why do you think pretty much all UK pay as you go handsets are sold with at least £10 credit minimum top up? it's so your forced to start using it on their network and increase the chances of you not box breaking and going to another operator, therefore loosing them money. All makes perfect sense. Yes, it's irritating, but from their perspective it's perfectly fine.

If a network was to start advertisting "all our handsets are now unlocked! come buy them from us!" their prices would have to rise to cover their costs.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:50
^^^^^

Maybe I should have explained myself better:

a) Why lock it to only one network per country?

b) Why not sell unlocked and / or unbranded versions like other manufacturers?

It's a rhetorical question by the way, I merely posted a news story and added my opinion. We all know the answers.

[ This Message was edited by: Cycovision on 2007-09-25 17:03 ]
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:55
BTW, this will NOT stop me keeping my 1.02 FW iPhone unlocked, just in case anyone worried, you would have to try and update before this became an issue.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:22
Apple is pathetic.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:25
@QVGA

Yep, I'll drink to that

And about the unlocking, ok, fair point, I don't think they should force it upon a certain network, but thats Apples choice.

What REALLY pee's me off is that theres an upgrade 'fee' for existing customers to have the iPhone, which has been bumped up to £219 PLUS the £269 for the iPhone itself!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:29
@Daedalus85

In case it had escaped your notice in the UK and EU it is is illegal to sell a unsubsidised and locked to one Network device forcing the user to have to use only one Network they have to unlock it. I really don't want to repeat myself read the iPhone threads and you will see the answer i now have from both OFCOM confirming this and also 02 now saying they don't know about unlocking yet.

What that's just absurd just go and buy one from an Apple store for £269 although it will come with a new Sim or even get a new contract from 02 and use your free Data to send everyone a E-Mail with your new number. Also i noticed business customers can't convert their contract to an iPhone or use their current number either.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 20:47 ]
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:30
Yup, me too!

It's not exactly cheap for a locked phone is it!

@dogmann

Yes, we know but the question is, if Apple are maybe going to have to make it so that the iPhone in the UK can be multi-network but still presumably locked, why select one 'official' provider in the first place? Why not just release it like any other UK phone release?

And why make silly, scaremongering press articles like this one, which is more to the point?

[ This Message was edited by: Cycovision on 2007-09-25 17:37 ]
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 18:47
It's not really O2 to blame here, they have a very tight contract with Apple from what I've been told (by the big wigs at O2, their pretty skitty at the moment), and Apple seem insistant they'll 'do as they please', give it time their ship will soon sink on that path...

As for getting it from the Apple shopping, O2 aren't STOPPING existing customer from doing the same thing, just means you'd have a new number and a second contract like you've just stated. There's no 'advantage' in any sense for getting it at the Apple shop, just alot of wasted petrol
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 19:40
what about Voda's special Sharp phones?
They're locked to Voda with no unlock code...
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic