Previous  123 ... 91011 121314  Next
Author No more updates for satio
schnuff
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-29 08:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-07-28 22:24:02, hammera wrote:
Is anyone else sick of hearing about the supposed death of Symbian?

yes i am...
i've been using symbian handsets for 6 years now and i'm still happy with it. symbian on s/// handsets could be dying, or maybe it was death from the satio's release. i am very disappointet from s///'s version of s^1 from the very first day when i got my satio last september, but this is a problem of s/// and not of symbian!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-29 18:37
@ hammera - no its not dead and i do love Symbian myself, always have. But theres one thing you're forgetting.

Android isnt limited to just Google's own phones, unlike IOS and unfortunately Symbian with Nokia. Symbian is being installed on much less phones than ever before, whereas Android is on HTC, Motorola, SE, Samsung and many more manufacturers handsets. Maybe its because of Nokia's own investment in Symbian or other manufacturers displeasure with Symbian as opposed to Android.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
hammera
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-29 20:57
And Symbian isn't just limited to Nokia. They are definitely the biggest Symbian manufacturer (and they will be for some time to come) but there are others. Fujitsu and Sharp are big users in Japan and Samsung and SE have not yet stated categorically that they have given up on Symbian (please note the yet!).

Android has become fashionable as it's new and has a pretty exterior and the current situation isn't too disimilar to the one Symbian found itself in 6 or 7 years ago when every major manufacturer was producing a Symbian phone (Siemens, Motorola, Samsung, Sendo, Nokia, SE, Mitsubishi) rather than a Windows CE phone (which after years of being basically pants is still kicking around).

Symbian is having a rough ride at the moment and the blame for that lies squarely at Nokia's feet for being complacent about S60 as well as SE and Motorola for totally screwing UIQ (If only UIQ4 had made it out the door ) but now that Symbian is open source (and this is a message that all Symbian fans need to shout loudly to all the ignorant tech journo's and fanbois out there) there is a real chance that it can reclaim its crown, we just need some damned phones to appear.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 01:25
I know Symbian isnt just limited to Nokia, but like i said you do find it installed in less and less new phones these days from companies other than Nokia.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 01:29
Nokia has to take the blame for it. They own it and they have not kept pace with what is going on in either the smart phone area or software (Symbian).
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
hammera
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 10:16
@skblakee
As phone geeks (why else would we be here?) we need to get this point straight. NOKIA DO NOT OWN SYMBIAN! The Symbian Foundation is owned by its members and pretty much any company can become a member if they really want and so can you and me via Symbian DevCo. This fallacy that Nokia owns Symbian is one that is propagated by far too many people (i.e. tech 'journalists') who should know better and we really need to kill it off. What better place to start than here.
[ This Message was edited by: hammera on 2010-07-30 09:18 ]
KimbaDWL
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-04 22:31

In the discussion-bord within the german SE-Facebook site a user ask, if there will be an update YES or NO.

The answer:
Leider ist Deine Frage auch keine Ja/Nein-Frage, denn wenn wir heute "Nein" sagen, kann es durch bestimmte Umstände durchaus morgen ein "Ja" werden. Da Du aber Wert auf eine eindeutige Ausage legst, sagen wir hier, jetzt und heute, es wird kein Update geben.

Translation:
Unfortunately your question is not a YES or NO question because if we say NO today, certain circumstances can turn it into a YES tomorrow. But since you appreciate a definite answer here, now and today we say NO there won´t be an update.

Source:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=80147061621&topic=18842

So: file closed! SE droped the Satio.

I can´t belive it.......I am very disapointed

Greetings

KimbaDWL
henryblank
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-05 04:53
Who knows, the SE rep I spoke with told me on the phone that they were going to release updates for both the Xperia and Satio together in mid to late August. I suppose we'll know by September if whether he was full of it.

Doesn't really matter .. with the N8 coming out in September / October timeframe, SE would need to release one hell of an update to keep a loyal following!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-11 02:54
Why continue to update old phones?? Shouldn't they devote their resources to the next flagship, rather than keep improving existing handset firmware?

Look, once upon a time, you bought a phone and that was it. No firmware updates - what you buy is what you get is what you have until you buy a new phone. The only reason they have firmware updates now, is to bring out fixes post-market. Basically it's a silent recognition by phone companies that phones are so complicated now that they can't sufficiently test them prior to release, and after-market firmware updates are a way of ensuring a handset does what it was designed to do, but NO MORE.

Occasionally, a firmware update, as well as fixing bugs, will also include an enhancement, but this is not a given.

I can't believe people are crying that SE have abandoned the Satio. Satio firmware is now working, it does everything the phone was advertised to do. The firmware is stable. It's not fast, but it's never going to be fast. It's s60 for God's sake. Anyone buying a s60 handset expecting the nice prompt interface of something like a feature phone is deluded.

SE have ceased development on the Satio firmware because there is nothing more to do. If you, as an end user, want more, then hack the damn thing. There is heaps of room for improvement via standard s60 file system tweaks.

If you can't be bothered to learn hacking, then go buy a new phone and stop crying about your Satio.

I am VERY pleased with mine, and I haven't even got around to hacking it yet. TBH, the Satio is the LEAST crashworthy s60 device I've ever owned. Infact, it doesn't crash, full stop. It just works.
cableguy
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2010-08-11 10:44
This is why
http://www.sonyericsson.com/update/?cc=gb&lc=en
SE state "Did you know that we're always improving our software? For up to 2 years after launch our software team work hard to give you the best phone experience with better performance, new features and bug fixes. Are you up to date?"
---> If SE did promise up to 2 years support we wouldnt be expecting anything but they did.
KimbaDWL
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-11 13:57
@max_wedge:

Well, in most parts I have to agree, but not in all.
In general I am also pleased with my Satio. It is doing his job, where it fails, there is 3rd party software (e.g. calendar)
and up to now it works very stable. I bought a S60v5 device on purpose and like the system despite its weaknesses. I do not expect an update to Symbian3. So far so good.

Nevertheless there are simply bugs that have to be erased and design weaknesses that should be taken care of.
In my daily use as a multimedia-device the following points (as examples) are annoying:
- photos in the gallery are shown randomly upside down
- a slow camera interface
- no way to force the flash to ON
- blurry indoor-photos without flash although there is enough light
- not properly working RER
- way to low sound in my own video-recordings that making them nearly useless
- way to low max-volume in the headphones, making them nearly useless in loud environment (e.g. in a train)
- low radio reception on UMTS even in fully covered UMTS-Zones
- no way to display calendar-entries on the homescreen
- etc. etc.

Well, I can live with all these flaws. They are not vital. The Satio is a good phone. But this "what could have been with a little more effort from SE"-feeling is very annoying.
When I bought the Satio, the Nokia 5800 already got its mayor update. The Samsung I8910 got is major update later...but got it! So there was reasonable hope for me to expect such an update for the Satio. And SE prooved in its history, that it takes care of its products in general.

I do not expect an update to S3 and not even an update to HD-video-recording (I prefer a smooth 30+ fps VGA recording over a skippy HD-recording every time) but I think nowadays, where the major companies like Nokia, Samsung, HTC etc ALL take care of there products for longer times, I can expect the same from SE.

With that in mind I bought the Satio...and now have to learn, that there will be no further updates to minimize the flaws for a phone I paid 550 EUR for.

Thats why I (and I guess many others) are very angry at SE at the moment.

Greetings

KimbaDWL

EDIT:
And in addition the the now "final" firmware is unhackable unless I go through the process of downgrading-hacking-upgrading again wich I do not dare at the moment.
[ This Message was edited by: KimbaDWL on 2010-08-11 13:00 ]
m1l4d
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 11:24
To people that say you should have known what phone you are going to buy.
I already knew what I was going to buy(I wish I had bought an i8910), I had a 5800 before this. At that time with firmware 21 it was too buggy and slow. I hoped Satio wouldn't be like that cos it was a "flagship" (or flagshit, maybe?) and I thought it should have a more mature software. But it wasn't! It is way worse! Now 5800 with v 51 runs so great and smooth bugless it outrund Satio in every fkin way, with half ram no graphic chip and less cpu.
Can you tell me which part of v r2ak006 is stable? Problem with java apps, bug with screen unlocking, but with received sms, (these bugs are confirmed, not only me but also a lot more users I had talked to). It often restarts by itself, for no reason! I haven't experienced sort of crashes that phone just wouldn't do anything, but there were many many situations that it required a restart. And that happens every day! Well no recently, because I almost don't use it, but it still happens!
Is Satio perfect? Hell no. It take 2 or 3 secs for the camera to start, more that 4 secs to set a single thing, and 2 more secs to take a shot. It that perfect? When I want to take a shot of one unique moment, it's only that one moment! I can't tell my cat to hold his cool gesture, so I can take a shot!
This phone has frustrated me in so many ways, like the time it wouldn't show I had new text messages and for that I lost an important appointment.
As an SE fan for years, and except that 5800 all my previous phones where SE, I say I will never ever buy another SE in my life. Until they change, which I hardly doubt the ever will.
To those who say SE has delivered every thing that was promised.
There was a native unique facebook app promised, not some java 3rd party crap!
There was flash wallpaper support promised(like Vivaz) but where is it(watch the promo video). Yeah, it can be achieved, only by hacking, in which they took away. Apart from this, I want a fully working cellphone! Not some toy stuck at beta stage! I'm not a beta tester!
sucks.
I hate !!
m1l4d
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 11:29

On 2010-08-11 02:54:47, max_wedge wrote:
Why continue to update old phones?? Shouldn't they devote their resources to the next flagship, rather than keep improving existing handset firmware?

Look, once upon a time, you bought a phone and that was it. No firmware updates - what you buy is what you get is what you have until you buy a new phone. The only reason they have firmware updates now, is to bring out fixes post-market. Basically it's a silent recognition by phone companies that phones are so complicated now that they can't sufficiently test them prior to release, and after-market firmware updates are a way of ensuring a handset does what it was designed to do, but NO MORE.

Occasionally, a firmware update, as well as fixing bugs, will also include an enhancement, but this is not a given.

I can't believe people are crying that SE have abandoned the Satio. Satio firmware is now working, it does everything the phone was advertised to do. The firmware is stable. It's not fast, but it's never going to be fast. It's s60 for God's sake. Anyone buying a s60 handset expecting the nice prompt interface of something like a feature phone is deluded.

SE have ceased development on the Satio firmware because there is nothing more to do. If you, as an end user, want more, then hack the damn thing. There is heaps of room for improvement via standard s60 file system tweaks.

If you can't be bothered to learn hacking, then go buy a new phone and stop crying about your Satio.

I am VERY pleased with mine, and I haven't even got around to hacking it yet. TBH, the Satio is the LEAST crashworthy s60 device I've ever owned. Infact, it doesn't crash, full stop. It just works.

So why the f**k Nokia continues to do that, even 2 years after launch? They just released another update for 5800 a couple of days ago. I expect SE to do that, specially when their former flagship is so buggy and unstable!
I hate SE.
I hate !!
Caseiro
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-12 15:18
http://semcblog.com/2010/08/12/vivaz-pro-get-the-latest-software/

Maybe, there's still hope for Satio.......
Xperia arc S Pure White and Midnight Blue - running ICS 4.0.4

http://clubesonyericssonpt.forums-free.com/
cableguy
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 18:48
But theres still nothing new in that Vivaz (R2EA021 Firmware)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011 121314  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic