Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Watchdog slagging off UK Mobile Networks

Author Watchdog slagging off UK Mobile Networks
liamtollan
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-26 17:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In response to boosy...

I had exactly the same problme in contacting o2... generic emails from them despite me specifically saying that they're generic response wasn't helping... I eventually got an offer of one of the replacement handsets, though I havent replied to that email yet. I, like you, just want me K700 to work as it should. The phones they are offering are not fo the same standard (excluding perhaps the 6230, though even that is questionable), and all the phones were available at the time I chose the K700. Have you replied to their 'offer'? If so, what did they say? And how long do they estimate it will be until a new batch of 'working' K700s are released & can we get a replacement at that time?
Cheers,
Liam
(Ill need to keep a copy of these questions as they are pretty much what I want to ask o2!)
boosy
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 00:35
I said to them that I didn't want any of the phones they offered me because they are, in my opinion, not in the same class. Also I need an SE phone because some of the bluetooth stuff i use heavily will not work with anything else. I basically said I want a working K700, or that I might consider an upgrade to an S700. I'm not interested in anything else. As yet they have not got back to me (about 36 hours now I think)
boosy
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 10:56
Unfortunately they have said they will only offer me the three original phones they mentioned. They will not give me a K700 or upgrade to S700.

Also they are claiming the problem with the K700 is a "manufacturing fault" - which from my understanding is not actually the case. but maybe I'm wrong.
liamtollan
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 14:49
hmm...
I was going to try and get a Moto V3 from them...
I paid for my K700 (£60 upgrade) when I got it. The phones they are offering were free at that time I think. I haven't got back to their 'offer' yet, but dont plan on accepting it!
Liam
boosy
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 15:52
I'm definitely not accepting it, none of those phones are any use to me. Unfortunately that does seem to mean I'm stuck with the broken K700. Given that the product I bought fromthem doesn't work, what I really want is to "take it back", i.e. give them the phone and have the contract cancelled. I am sure however that they would not be willing to let me cancel the contract.
Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 19:42
fact is, if they have provided a phone which does not work, they must either replace it with one that does, repair the faulty one or put you back into the situation you were before you purchased the phone. Hence, either a functioning phone, which does what it was advertised to do, (speak to trading standards) repaired phone or give you your money back and return you to the state(financially and materially) you were in before it went pear shaped. I would have a chat woth your trading standards and probably watchdog!
James_S
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 19:55
I was offered a bigger selection of phones, about 8 or 9. A wide range of (albeit inferior) Nokias, a Samsung, Moto and a SE T630.

After a number of phone calls I managed to get them to cancel my contract. I sent it off this morning and then went straight to the Orange shop and got the K700 on their network. I actually got a much better deal! Before I was on the online 100 tariff, but my new Orange deal is £25 (same price) a month, 120 x-net anytime mins, 1000 texts a month and 1/2 price landline calls once my free mins run out. Also, gave them my very old T300 and they gave me £100 of my bills. So basically I'm getting 4 months free!!!

Their is slightly more customisation on the Orange K700, but I think I can put up with that to get shot of o2!
boosy
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 21:30
That's great news. How long into your contract were you? And was there any particular argument you had to give them to make them agree to cancel the contract? I assume you had to send them back your K700? Did you get back any money you might have paid for the phone when you bought it? I assume you got a PAC number so you could transfer your number over to Orange?
And finally.... Did you have to phone up their 50p/min line to do this?

I have seen the Orange K700 and I'm not overly keen on it, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer it to what I have just now. Sorry for all the questions
James_S
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-28 11:22
In response to Boosy..

I was about 5 or 6 weeks into the contract. My argument was that the replacement phones weren't suitable for me. THis was because only the Nokia 6600 or T630 would work with my Mac and I didn't want the Nokia and I'd already bought a BlueTooth adaptor. I also said the phones were inferior to the K700. Then I said that I had taken out a contract for a K700 and if they couldn't provide a K700 I'd rather leave the network and go to one where I could use a K700.

The problem is that the customer service depends on who you speak to, some are more helpful than others. I was getting nowhere with the customer help, so I just phoned the contract termination line. I just kept phoning until I got them to cancel my contract. If they say no keep trying and ask to speak to their supervisor.

They send you a jiffy bag which you have to put everything in (phone, box, charger, handsfree kit) and send it back to them. You also have to sign this piece of paper to cancel the contract and say why you're canceling it. When you post it you have to get proof of postage incase it goes missing in transit. I paid my upgrade fee by direct debit and they said it'll be refunded to my account with my final bill.

They said they couldn't give me my PAC code until they got the phone. I phoned just now and apparently It'll take a week for the phone to get back into the system, so I'll try again next week.

The first time I phoned the 50p per min number they gave me this number, 0870 6003009, to call. I think it's national rate rather then premium rate. Thats the number for customer service (option 0). The cancellation number is 0870 2259933 (option 3) and again, I think it's national rate.

Hope this helps! If you've got any more questions just reply to this.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2005-01-28 21:24
Hmm thursday evening I started getting late msgs on my K700i..
I hope this doesn't carry on..

not that it bothers me for now but who knows in future...

Has anyone got there phones exchanged at a o2 shop rather than going back to o2 online?

o2 shops have a better selection btw
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
boosy
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-28 22:17
James,
Thanks a lot for the info. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what I can get them to agree to. I'm not sure they'll go for it though because I have kept the phone for about 6 months without sending it back. I'll shout at them anyway I'll post back when I get an update. Cheers.
Bammers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 01:02
Glad you lot are getting this sorted, sounds like O2 may finally be realising their obligations re contracts etc. And I mean sale of goods act contracts!
Phones and airtime contracts are always strange but if you picked the phone and contract as a package then to my mind if part of that package is faulty then the whole thing should be sorted!
Good luck and let us all know how you get on!
thanasis
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 02:09
Guys this is ridiculous,

The only company in the UK that does not brand SE phones, which made me consider switching to them from TMOB, and now this fiasco. Why do all companies have to have their drawbacks??
liamtollan
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 12:59
I still haven't phoned them... I stupidly thought I would be able to get things sorted out via email. Every time I send them an email saying I AM NOT accepting their offer (with reasons of course) they reply with exactly the same offer. I have just sent off another two emails to them. Has anyone else had any luck phoning them? Ill need to try that tomorrow.
Cheers,
Liam
liamtollan
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-31 19:34
Hi
Has anyone else managed to cancel their contract or get a decent replacement phone? o2 are unwilling to offer me either. As such i am planning to contact watchdog and trading standards as well as the complaints department for o2 (if such a thing exists!). Any ideas of who else I should contact?
Thanks,
Liam
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic