Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author South African mobile discussion
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2011-12-31 14:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-12-28 20:50:23, Hobbs wrote:
Congrats Gola and good luck in the big bad world.

Thanks
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2012-01-01 01:14
Congrats, gola!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, S.A.M.D!
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-01 09:27
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2012-01-01 20:54
Thanks Wanqs

Happy New Year everyone!
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
jmash
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-01-03 18:48
Holidays are over,work started today on my part.Another year to take on.Howzit gents👀
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-04 01:54
[quote]
On 2011-12-31 13:00:24, Tsepz_GP wrote:
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! Enjoy the celebrations, dont do anything i wouldn't do

that doesn't leave us with much then happy new year all

Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-05 17:58
Happy New Year everyone hope you all have had a great start to 2012.

Jmash
Eish, so early? My new year only begins in Feb, so got a few weeks to recover from the "Ke Dezemba" madness
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-07 08:07
Tsepz
Nozomi on GSMArena got a Quadrant benchmark score of 2213.Thats awfully low dont you think? If I ever got that phone that rom would be the first thing to go.S2 out the box scores 3400+ everytime for me on stock and 4000+ on a custom.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-07 10:56
Hobbs, indeed, thats very low, on stock 2.3.6 i got a Quadrant score of 3640 on my GS2, and yesterday i downloaded AnTuTu Benchmark, to see how my GS2 on 2.3 compares to a modded HTC Sensation on ICS4.0.1 and a Galaxy Nexus, just to give you an idea with ICS the phones are 2x faster than they were with Gingerbread. GS2 on 2.3 managed a score of 6053, whilest Galaxy Nexus managed 6151 and Sensation on ICS managed 6336, now imagine the GS2 on ICS? It would demolish both of them, it will be heading toward Asus Transformer Prime territory which is a Tegra3 based Quad-cored Android tablet.

Apparently the Mali400-MP GPU found in the GS2 is a quad-core GPU thats underclocked to around 275mhz, this thing is a beast, i cant wait to see how it will compare to the upcoming quad-core based HTCs, LGs and SEs this year.
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2012-01-07 18:51
All
Guys, last Thursday I finally took the plunge and got the arc s, I have a lot to say but I still haven't been able to login Esato on my desktop, not even with Firefox that I just downloaded, don't know what the problem is. Posting this from opera mobile, still trying to adjust to this keyboard but I wouldn't want to write my thoughts with it because I have a lot to say so far about my experience and it would take forever on this keyboard...

All in all I'm happy, just a few annoying things, not sure if it's because of android, that I was already skeptical of, or an SE problem...

Will keep you guys posted.

Edit:
This is very annoying, I can't login the desktop version of Esato with my laptop, but I can login to the mobile version of Esato with my laptop, so atleast i can start typing something a bit lengthy...

[ This Message was edited by: gola on 2012-01-07 18:00 ]
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2012-01-07 19:27
Well, first things first

Got the white Arc S on Thursday with the full knowledge that SE is going to announce the successor at CES, but I couldn't wait any longer, my Satio was giving me headaches. On first impressions, the phone looks super sexy and depending at how you look at it, it kinda looks like the deck of those fighter jet war ships, weird i know but absolutely love the looks. The arc is not as curved as i thought it would be, but it's a dream to hold when I'm conversing on a phone call. Pity there is no secondary camera now that there will be hangouts on Google +, but oh well.

On to the bad stuff, now maybe it's just that I don't know how to perform these tasks or the current version of android does not support them or SE just went and screwed things up, but I feel like the entire OS is incomplete and can't multitask. Let's say I have opera mobile open and I press the home button and it takes me to the android home screen, then if go back to opera mobile, the tabs that i had open reload. This annoys the hell out of me, I had typed a very lengthy review to post on Esato then i got a phone call and the phone went out of Opera Mobile, argh!! Same thing with the music player, it looks super great, but it's the most basic music player I have ever seen. I am all for simplicity, but the music doesn't continue playing after I get a phone call, what the hell. Plus basic functions like repeat and the normal simple stuff are not there all Maybe it's SE, I don't know.

There's no file manager either, I prefer to make folders and know where stuff is. So any way I downloaded one, but I have to endure ads at the bottom.

One more thing is that I'm having compatibility problems with my Mac and the Android OS on the Arc. The memory card or phone memory doesn't appear on the Mac as mass storage or anything at all. And for some reason SE does not make Media GO for Mac so I had to download a bridge app which does the work, but it's okay for now.

The phone in general just feels like it belongs to Google and not an SE phone, I wish SE hadn't stopped making their own SE OS.

This feels like a rant lol, but I'm happy with the Arc lol, but I'd rather just look at the design hardware then use the software it runs on. Funny thing is that I was always skeptical of Android so I knew this might happen or perhaps I just preempted this feeling.

Oh and this whole App centric phone thing is super cool, problem is that most of these apps need an internet connection for the ads, which is also annoying, but I guess it's a small price to pay for a free app and the developers need their compensation. But, it freaken eats the battery.

I guess it's time to get my hands dirty and try out custom Roms.

Hobbs & Tsepz

Are you guys experiencing the same niggles with your GS2s?

Amawanqa
How are you finding the relationship between your Mac and your phones?

I hope all is good.

[ This Message was edited by: gola on 2012-01-07 20:00 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-07 21:32
Gola

Congrats bro, Arc S is an absolute beaut of a thing!

You kinda sound like me when i got the X10 WRT the Multitasking, here's the thing:

Its kinda both Google and SE's fault, reason being the Android OS uses a combo of Symbian and iOS multitasking, when there is plenty of RAM Android will allow apps to stay in RAM and run their activities, thats how Symbian worked BUT once a large app like Opera Mobile is running it begins to cache recently opened apps and closes older ones, now when you get a call while running Opera Mobile it has two large apps to handle, one of them will take higher priority in this case the call so it caches Opera (saves the state it was in when you got the call), so Opera isnt completely closed, when you're done with the call and go into Opera it goes back to the state it was in -Google's fault. The Arc has 512mb RAM which isnt always enough, especialy for apps like Opera Mobile to run with other apps -SE's fault. Thats how Android, iOS and WP7 Multitask, Android is actualy the closest to Symbian out of the 3 as iOS and WP immedietly cache apps the very moment you hit the Home button. I experienced the same on the X10, especialy on 2.2 and 2.3 as since 2.2 Android was made more strict on memory management. Havent experienced much of that on Galaxy S2 thanks to the 1GB RAM but it can happen now and then.

File Manager, i found an app called File Manager that doesnt have adds its by Rhythm Software, but to totaly get rid of ads in all apps you will have to Root your Arc and install AdFree, it removes ads from all apps.

Dont jump on to Custom ROMs yet unless you realy want to, rather just Root and install Adfree.
Android takes some getting used to especialy after Symbian, you'll eventualy get used to it and enjoy it.

For Web browsing id suggest you stick to the built-in web browser or Dolphin Browser HD, both are excellent and IMO faster than Opera. To get the best page setup on both go to their settings set Text Size to Large, Default Zoom to Far, and turn on Auto-fit pages.
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-08 10:25
Gola
Congratulations on getting the Arc S.Wow,it sure is a beauty.

About multitasking,cant say I ever had those issues (maybe on the X10 yes) but like Tsepz said maybe its got to do with the 512mb of RAM on the Arc S and the S2 having 1GB's of RAM.

Just install PowerAmp full version (best music player out there imo) and rid yourself of that default player for good.

You can root your phone and install AdFree if you want but Ive never needed to.I just get the latest full versions of the app I want.You most probably have your 'places' but I'll pm you links anyway.

Enjoy the new phone.

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-08 10:34
Just out of curiosity.Install Quadrant Standard Edition and let us know what benchmarks that baby gets.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-08 15:41
Lonelycatgames Xplore file manager for Android.I was a fan when using Symbian so its a pleasant suprise to find it for my S2.

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic